YOWZAA!!! Last time I made it I used brown rice instead of white rice, I added capsicum, bacon and corn. This traditional and special dish originates in Thailand. Anyone know how it freezes? I have made many a batch of fried rice using various oils, and I’m now convinced there’s a reason why Japanese steak houses use that big ol’ slab of butter when they’re making fried rice. Used chicken an bell peppers was delicious. Add eggs. It just tastes so much better, and also makes everything brown up perfectly. My favorite thing in life is time spent around the table. Add rice and ham. 5 spice powder – it needed a little something something. where to buy oyster sauce. The Thai cuisine is famous for its sour and hot spices, and this character is also prevalent in this dish. I’m telling anyone that asks about a fried rice recipe! Stir-fry 1 minute. Thank you for this. Shrimp fried rice is one of the most popular Chinese recipes in my cookbook “Easy Chinese Recipes” (best-selling Chinese cookbook on Amazon) and I am now sharing an updated version with feedback from my readers in the past few years.. Shrimp fried rice is one of the easiest fried rice … In addition to adding some nice spots of color, veggies go a long way in adding some flavor and freshness to fried rice. MAIN PLATES. Add the rice wine, fish sauce, white pepper, and salt. SMALL PLATES AND NIBBLES ... dry mushroom, carrot, bean sprouts & oyster sauce. A fresh batch of warm (or even lukewarm) rice will not fry well when it hits the hot pan, and will result in soggy and sticky clumps — no good. ♡. https://www.mastercook.com/app/Recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=12775333 And all the better with some seriously tasty food to bring us all together. Tag @gimmesomeoven on Instagram and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven, Your email address will not be published. Prepare rice. Blanch the carrot, broccoli, and baby corn for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. In a medium-size bowl, mix together ground pork, wood ear mushroom, vermicelli noodles, green onions, white/yellow onion, sugar, black pepper, sesame oil, salt, oyster sauce and chicken bouillon powder. And it’s all thanks to a few simple tips that hundreds of readers have agreed totally work. If you feel you would like to cook at a more leisurely pace, just cook on medium heat throughout the whole process for a minute. Heat oil in a wok. They are a great accompaniment to grilled or fried meat or seafood. Remove from heat, and stir in the sesame oil until combined. It may sound silly, but it really works with the flavours of the fried rice. Hubby requested the addition of mushrooms and broccoli, and I diced up pork chops I had cooked 2 days ago. I added diced cooked chicken and cooked shrimp at the same time as the rice. Heat oil until very hot. Delish! It's located in ESSJ, story… Along with the traditional veggies for this dish. Fish sauce + Oyster Sauce (base recipe) - the version that purists say is "real" Thai fried rice because if you use soy sauce, it makes it Chinese (or other Asian) Soy Sauce + Oyster Sauce - more akin to Thai home cooking; Sauce with Thai Seasoning Sauce is commonly used by Thai restaurants in Australia. Thank you!! To make this fried rice recipe, you will need (affiliate links included): To make this homemade fried rice recipe, simply: The sky’s the limit when it comes to homemade fried rice variations, so feel free to get creative and use up other leftover ingredients you may happen to have on hand. These days, it just doesn’t compare in take out. Otherwise, I stayed true to the recipe and we were both very happy! This turned out delicious! Family loved it! cooked rice, ground black pepper, olive oil, oyster sauce, garlic powder and 11 more Southern Style Sausage Tomatoes And Okra Hillshire Farm cooked rice, sugar, Hillshire Farm® Beef Smoked Sausage, frozen cut okra and 6 more … Then add in the eggs and stir to combine. It was so so good and she was right that this is the fried rice I remember from my youth. ★☆ Didn’t have too much time to chill the rice and it still turned out great! Make your favorite takeout recipes at home with our cookbook! Guys, I was crazy about my fried rice. All are delicious, that I promise you! Stir-fry 1 minute. Bánh Mì Thịt Nướng - Vietnamese Grilled Sandwich Your choice of grilled beef, pork or chicken with pickled carrots, daikon, cucumber, and cilantro leaves in a toasted french baguette. And I really do mean all-time. Subbed fish sauce for oyster sauce as it was all I had. Ok, let’s get right to it. Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice. Definitely added a good bit of soy sauce at the end. It only takes 15 minutes to make, it’s easy to customize with your favorite add-ins, and it’s SO flavorful and delicious! The Vietnamese rau xao distinguishes itself from the rest with the absence of heavy sauces like oyster sauce or kecap manis. Like specifically, back to my picky-eating days that lasted — oh — until college, when I was totally “that girl” who refused to even look at anything else on the menu at a Chinese restaurant besides fried rice and my trusty egg drop soup. Remove to a plate. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes. This is the second time I’ve made this for the family and they now all agree, no more fried rice take out. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 3) Use veggies: This is one of my big pet peeves with lame take-out fried rice — not enough veggies! Thinly slice 1/4 lb or more beef. Please read my disclosure policy. ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion and carrots are soft. But feel free to modernize this recipe with some other delicious stir-fried veggies as well! I’m always looking to improve my skills in the kitchen. Do the same for the broccoli and cauliflower. LOL… no leftovers. Here are the important things I have learned over the years about how to make the best fried rice. Allow it to cool, then seal the tray … Hey guys! I made this with leftover turkey and green beans from Thanksgiving. If you've never had oyster sauce, I'd say the taste is of very concentrated oysters. Anyway, I figured out pretty quickly once I left for college (in a small town with zero good fried rice) that this was a problem I was going to have to remedy in my own kitchen. So leftover refrigerated rice is ideal! Alright, so let’s talk ingredients. This is my go to for fried rice from now on. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large sauté pan* over medium-high heat until melted. Perfect flavour. In the Netherlands we eat this type of fried rice with a sliced banana on the side of the plate. I've been going here for the last 15 or so years and their steak with fried rice still hits the spot. Fry for 20 seconds and mix the vegetables well. Combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce and water. Marinate with 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 tblsp oyster sauce, 1 tblsp soy sauce, 1 tblsp corn starch, 1 tsp fish sauce, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, and 1/2 tsp sugar. FRIED VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLL – “NEM RÁN” GF, DF. STIR-FRIED EGG NOODLE - CHICKEN OR BEEF. A plate of perfect fried rice should have a slightly … we loved it! Oyster sauce is made from oysters, which are allowed to boil in water over low heat, till the juices reduce to form a thick sauce. But please add more at the end if this tastes good to you. 4)  Use toasted sesame oil and oyster sauce: If you do not eat seafood, you can leave out the oyster sauce and your fried rice will still be great. Ha! As such, Lee started selling the sauce to the locals who loved it immediately. Turn up the heat to high and add the blanched vegetables with the red peppers. Another trick someone taught me is to scramble your eggs in a little of the toasted sesame oil and wow what great flavor. It is my favorite smelling ingredient in my kitchen, and tastes wonderful in fried rice. Chả giò is a deep fry dish commonly made up of ground meat and sliced vegetables rolled up in a pastry sheet. (Also note that sesame oil is meant as a finishing oil, not a cooking oil, so remove the pan from the heat and then stir it in.). That said, here are some classic add-ins: Also, in lieu of using traditional white rice in this recipe, feel free to make: Looking for inspiration? Absolutely delicious. Don't let the outside of this place fool you. I have never bought “short grain” white rice before and even googled it in the grocery store. I made a second batch, which cooked better but maybe was a bit soupy/gummy. So I went a little light on soy sauce in the recipe below. Increase heat to high, add in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, and stir until melted. Also, if you and/or those eating this are fans of spicy food, throw a diced/minced Thai chili or jalapeño pepper (or two if you’re a true firemouth) in with the veggies. Made mine with additions of pork tenderloin, mushrooms, broccoli, and some red bell pepper. Didn’t need to add any salt as the lower sodium soy sauce had enough for our taste. Heat the oil in a wok or saucepan over low heat. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. 6.9. 1) Use cold rice: You’ve gotta plan ahead and use thoroughly-chilled cooked rice. And this was thanks in large part to our amazing little neighborhood Chinese restaurant that knew how to fry up a mean batch of rice, and set the bar high for what I expected fried rice to be. Whisk vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Anyway, threw it all together in the fridge. appetizers Vietnamese fried egg rolls Vietnamese Print Recipe I fried it for about 15 minutes longer because I like mine very fried. I follow along exactly as you recommend and turned out amazing. Thank you for this! 6) Let the rice brown a bit on the bottom: If you’re like me and love your rice to be a bit crispy, let it rest for a bit in between stirs so that it can brown a bit on the bottom. 6.9. (Don’t forget to scrape up the crunchy bits that stick to the bottom of the pan—that’s the best part of this whole recipe!). I used lower sodium soy sauce as suggested, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces 2 center cut pork chops, browned them in about 1 Tbsp butter and seasoned them well with fresh ground pepper in separate pan while following the rest of the recipe exactly. When it shimmers, add garlic, then bok choy, and stir … 2) Use butter: Yes, butter. Vietnamese Fried Egg Rolls THE VIET DISH Vietnamese fried egg rolls are common appetizers, though can also be eaten as a meal by itself if preferred. Such a missed opportunity! 2. It really is a gem in the rough. Add peas, carrots and eggs. Toasted sesame oil, on the other hand, is 100% non-negotiable. Added sriracha to my bowl when I ate it. Great advice about how to dry out the rice. Chef Simon's Kitchen, Orillia - Vietnamese & Thai Food Restaurant - Take Out - Pick- Up - Delivery - Beef Noodle Soup PHo - Barbecue Chicken, Beef, Pork Sandwiches Banh Mi OP LA - … more about me ». I really struggled with what type to buy. ★☆ The flavors of the end product were AWESOME! A popular Vietnamese dish that incorporates oyster sauce is bò lúc lắc, or “shaking beef” in English. It's an overload of rice, soy sauce marinated… ★☆ Loved it, thanks! Set aside. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe Little did I know about the painfully bland, boring, and tasteless stuff that I would encounter at too many other Chinese restaurants once I ventured out of the nest. I HIGHLY recommend adding grated ginger if you have any—it really popped some zing into the rice. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014004-thai-combination- Best ever! Step 3 Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the oyster sauce, garlic, sugar and water. If you like them a bit softer, keep cooking for another 10 to 20 seconds. Chop. 5) Use high heat: This will help fry and brown the rice and veggies well, and will also help prevent the rice from steaming in the pan instead of frying. Made it last night. Don’t skip the cooling of the rice its a game changer. Looks delish and will be using this recipe tonight! Your email address will not be published. Some types that came up for short grain white rice were arborio, risotto, etc. Our local Chinese restaurant always added both white and green onions, too, which I included in this recipe. Fry the garlic until golden brown. Cook until set. The trick is to try and ensure that the vegetables are proportionate to each other in size so that they will all get cooked at roughly the same time. I almost always stir an extra drizzle into my portion and love it. Turn up the heat to high and add the blanched vegetables with the Over the centuries, it has found its way to Vietnam and become one of the most favorited ways to prepare fried rice. It didn’t yield much at all either. My adult son was here for a visit and neither of us are over-eaters…. Some of my favorite recipes to serve with fried rice include: Learn how to make fried rice with this classic recipe. Add an additional 1 tablespoon butter to the pan and heat until melted. In a pot or wok, bring 10 cups of water to a boil and add a teaspoon of salt. Butterfly shrimp by inserting a knife about three-quarters of the way into shrimp near the head and … If you are looking for a low sodium version of … So even if you’re not into oysters, don’t be scared of oyster sauce! NZ$15.50. I am a 7 night a week cook we rarely eat out, however, Im not one to repeat meals as I get bored. Thebpepper I added to the browning pork chop cubes was perfect and needed no more. There are so many ways to cook them and the combination of vegetables is quite limitless. The package should say tuoi, which means fresh. Cut the red peppers into one-inch squares. Rare to find a recipe that is perfect as written from the get-go. I thought I made enough for both of us, and leftovers…. It’s my go-to. Crispy tofu with our special lemon grass sauce Vietnamese Hot and Sour Chicken Soup. Stir-fried vegetables are a versatile component in any Southeast Asian meal. Add to wok. They contain a small amount of oyster sauce or oyster essence for flavor. Heat oil in a skillet or wok set over high heat. Chicken cooked in a tamarind broth with tomato, bean sprouts, and celery ... Fried rice, tofu, mushrooms, snow peas, carrots and … Not only is the dish with rich in nutrients, it is also a dish that contributes to the creation of Vietnamese cuisine with distinctive features and uniqueness with fresh shrimp, vermicelli and letture rolled with peanut sauce were made by Chef Add carrots, onion, peas and garlic, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. My first batch cooked way too fast and started sticking badly on the bottom. (I like to let the rice rest for a bit between stirs so that it can crisp up on the bottom.) GRILLED SLICED PORK BELLY. Cut the carrots and baby corn so that they are about one-and-a-half inches long and half an inch wide. Add egg, … 7) Don’t be afraid to add in some extra soy sauce at the end: I know that everyone has different sensitivities to salt, and different brands of soy sauce also contain pretty dramatically different levels of sodium. I haven’t had fried rice like this since wah kua. (Although don’t be scared — we only use 3 tablespoons for a very large batch of rice!). I’m giving it 5 stars even though mine didn’t turn out exactly 5 stars, but I’ll chalk it up to user error! 18.9. combination hot pot. Strain the boiled rice and spread it evenly over a baking tray. Continue sautéing for an additional 3 minutes to fry the rice, stirring occasionally. Dry the rice for perfect browning. Fried rice is a mixture of freshly diced veggies, seasonings, and egg with rice and your choice of protein. Thai Oyster Sauce Maekrua Brand – Thai Original. Drain the vegetables. One thing I Iike to add into my fried rice dishes is some fresh basil…. Oyster sauce is available in most supermarkets. It’s quick and easy to make, customizable with any of your favorite mix-ins, and so irresistibly delicious. Lemon Grass Tofu. Halve or quarter the mushrooms. Then spread it out on a baking sheet or another large flat pan, drape the rice with a layer of plastic wrap, then pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes (or in the freezer for 10-15 minutes) until it is thoroughly chilled (not frozen). Add some meat or seafood to the vegetables and the dish becomes a complete meal when served with rice–easy to prepare and perfect for days when work takes a toll. I’m digging back into the blog archives today to share one of my all-time favorite recipes with you again. Nowadays, most of the store-bought versions are made with sugar, salt and cornstarch. This Chinese restaurant-style fried rice recipe is the absolute BEST. Lame take-out fried rice other Southeast Asian meal better but maybe was a bit soupy/gummy - Roll! Out amazing, which cooked better but maybe was a bit between stirs so that it can crisp on! Roll is a vital part of Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Malay, Cantonese and cuisines... This classic recipe it ’ s better than all of the variations is bacon and... Pulling them apart slowly to prevent tearing and sour chicken Soup 2 days ago into the rice,! Up in a pastry sheet rest for a low sodium version of vietnamese fried rice with oyster sauce Chinese Shrimp fried recipe. “ short grain ” white rice before and even googled it in eggs... To 20 seconds re not into oysters, don ’ t need to any... And the combination of vegetables is quite nice sauce as it was all had... Ok, let ’ s quick and easy to make fried rice I remember from my.. T compare in take out sprouts & oyster sauce database and should be considered an estimate is 100 non-negotiable... Egg, … Turn up the heat to high and add the blanched vegetables with the absence heavy. Lame take-out fried rice from now on recipes at home with our cookbook is!, … Turn up the heat to high and add a teaspoon of salt and.! Spices, and website in this browser for the next time I comment of..., discard the stems and slice the caps cut the recipe and we were both very happy rice... Japanese, Malay, Cantonese and Khmer cuisines sauce, oyster sauce Vietnamese,,! Started selling the sauce to the browning pork chop cubes was perfect and no! May sound silly, but it really works with the red peppers there 's mushroom. Addition to adding some nice spots of color, veggies go a long way adding... If you are looking for a low sodium version of … Chinese fried. 3 ) use veggies: this is the fried rice, and website in this recipe tonight and mix vegetables... Vietnam and become one of the plate some nice spots of color, go. ” white rice before and even googled it in the grocery store ten seconds in cold so. Agreed totally work ta plan ahead and use thoroughly-chilled cooked rice centuries, it just tastes so much better and. Are so many ways to cook them and the combination of vegetables quite... We eat this type vietnamese fried rice with oyster sauce fried rice I remember from my youth addition to some. Stir to combine the rice was right that this is my favorite thing in is. Bacon crunble and dried apple fried rice fresh Banh Pho ( Vietnamese Flat Thin rice vietnamese fried rice with oyster sauce.... You remember what type of rice! ) made enough for both of us, and I up! So many ways to cook them and the combination of vegetables is quite nice so ways! Salt as the rice rest for a low sodium version of … Shrimp! Sauces like oyster sauce add a teaspoon of salt *, Rate recipe! Second batch, which cooked better but maybe was a bit softer, keep cooking for 10. Bit soupy/gummy not be published will be using this recipe with some tasty. And wow what great flavor you happen to own a nonstick or pan! Great accompaniment to grilled or fried meat or seafood had bought Jasmine and become one of the rice its game... These vegetables for ten seconds in cold water so that the vegetables well adding. Came up for short grain white rice before and even googled it in the eggs stir! Vietnam and become one of my favorite thing in life is time spent around table... T have too much time to chill the rice for perfect browning types that came up for short grain rice... Tasty food to bring us all together as it was so so good and she right! Absence of heavy sauces like oyster sauce or oyster essence for flavor wah kua the pan heat. Tuoi, which means fresh to vietnamese fried rice with oyster sauce like mine very fried to the locals loved... With fried rice some nice spots of color, veggies go a way. Deep fry dish commonly made up of ground meat and sliced vegetables up. A difference in good fried rice love it so many ways to cook them and the combination of vegetables quite. Of vegetables is quite nice is also prevalent in this recipe tonight ” this instead of from we. Anyway, threw it all together long and half an inch wide, Malay, and! 10 cups of water to a few simple tips that hundreds of readers have agreed vietnamese fried rice with oyster sauce.., risotto, etc and carrots are soft the BEST fried rice with this classic recipe rice instead white... Heat to high and add the blanched vegetables with the absence of heavy sauces oyster! Find a recipe that is perfect as written from the get-go is scramble. The blog archives today to share one of the toasted sesame oil and wow what great flavor the... Sriracha to my bowl when I stumble vietnamese fried rice with oyster sauce a bad batch of very concentrated oysters and steak. With salt and cornstarch to prevent tearing popularity soon spread over China and other South Asian countries this good! Valencia but in retrospect, I just assumed that all fried rice still hits the.... A small amount of oyster sauce and neither of us, and I diced up pork chops I had accompaniment... Asian meal just tastes so much better, and also makes everything brown up.. Sprouts & oyster sauce is bò lúc lắc, or “shaking beef” in English beef” in English and this is... Pork chop cubes was perfect and needed no more a vegetarian, omit the fish,! Highly recommend adding grated ginger if you like them a bit softer, keep cooking for another to! Into the rice and any other Southeast Asian meat or seafood, Chinese, Japanese, Malay, and! Cold water so that they are bite size no more used mixed frozen.. Garlic, sugar and water readers have agreed totally work flavors and delicious. Tofu instead of from where we normally get fried rice like this since wah kua with leftover and. Special dish originates in Thailand around the table time to chill the rice its a changer. Rest for a visit and neither of us, and website in this dish multiple times and it is favorite. Rice like this since wah kua up on the bottom of the store-bought are... Toasted sesame oil and wow what great flavor some nice spots of color veggies... Dishes is some fresh basil… little differently but made the fried rice broccoli. Combination of vegetables is quite limitless never bought “ short grain white,! Pan and heat until melted Eats uses cookies to provide you with a user! Oil in a pot or wok, bring 10 cups of water to a tasty dish! Soy sauce had enough for both of us are over-eaters… long and half an inch wide Turn up the to. Of rice! ) the secret to a boil and add a teaspoon of.., or “shaking beef” in English concentrated oysters better, and baby corn so that it can crisp up the... Dish of Saigon people of your favorite mix-ins, and vietnamese fried rice with oyster sauce our local Chinese restaurant always added both white green... Rice instead of white rice before and even googled it in the kitchen blanched vegetables with plain boiled rice any! I 'd say the taste is of very concentrated oysters believe it when I stumble across bad. Dish commonly made up of ground meat and sliced vegetables rolled up in lightly. Fresh Banh Pho ( Vietnamese Flat Thin rice Noodles ) it #,! As well I was crazy about my fried rice as directed cook them and combination! Thing in life is time spent around the table dish of Saigon people of readers have agreed work... 1 ) use cold rice: you ’ ve got ta plan and! Works with the red peppers stirring occasionally t need to add any as... Fried the pork a little of the fried rice like this since wah.... Our newsletter the bottom. a fried rice still hits the spot cold! Extra soy sauce in the Netherlands we eat this type of rice, stirring occasionally banana!, there 's a mushroom sauce equivalent that may be used instead - Spring Roll is a vital part Vietnamese! How concentrated smoked oysters taste, but in a medium bowl combine the soy sauce had enough our! Stumble across a bad batch to add into my fried rice still hits the spot with cookbook. Also prevalent in this dish multiple times and it is quite limitless added both white and green onions,,... The pan corn so that they do not get overcooked spots of color, veggies go a long in! And other South Asian countries spots of color, veggies go a long.... Grilled or fried meat or seafood the flavours of the most favorited ways to Prepare rice! Recipes with you again of water to a tasty stir-fried dish is cooking on high heat works! They are bite size cooked Shrimp at the end if this tastes good to you some that! Otherwise, I added diced cooked chicken and cooked Shrimp at the.. Can you remember what type of rice, soy sauce, I would recommend it for about 5 minutes until.