Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. From my friend Rae and her sister Debbie, originally. You want crumbs. I love the taste and I’m worried that if I add more wafers they won’t have that amazing rum flavor! I am not sure the origin of rum balls, but I know they are popular in European countries. 🙂 These healthy chocolate rum balls are quick & easy to make. Valerie. One of our family favourites, too. Was it a way of acknowledging cultural difference? Sincerely appreciate that you took the time to comment and am just tickled that you enjoyed the rum balls! Think post-war delis, coffee lounges, pâtisserie and cookbooks featuring stroganoff, schnitzels, strudels and black forest gateau. Please let me know if this works. Rarely does someone come back and tell me that the recipe worked and they love it, so I am so appreciative. This is a great recipe, but it makes a TON! Using a teaspoon, scoop out balls from the processor, roll them gently with your hands into irregular-shaped balls, and drop them into a bowl of powdered sugar. Thank you, Beth, Hi, Beth! It adds a lovely little surprise inside and there is nothing close that you could substitute. Hi Shelley! Proust is boring, but his cakes are memorable. I wonder where the original recipe came from that it is in the west and east of Cananda? ( Log Out /  Rum balls are also a size-efficient dessert. Place the plate with chocolate balls in freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm enough to roll. I recommend making them at least a day or two in advance. Rum balls are truffle-like confectionery cookie butter flavored with cacao, chocolate and rum. That year, we came with many of the doughs already made and ready to roll and bake. Stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the rum and vanilla until solid moist mass; press together. Rum Balls always appear at Christmas in Australia. Rum balls make a delicious dessert, that suits the palates of old and young alike. My mother in law’s rum ball recipe is exactly the same as yours, except she uses 2/3 c of coconut, not cocoa. Do you store them in the frig or leave in an airtight container for a few weeks? The three of us then made them together and Rae suggested adding the marzipan which was brilliant. My Proustian moment was round and chocolate sprinkled. I’m going to take your suggestion and add more dark chocolate. Hmmm. Valerie, i saw your post in another rum balls recipe – I didn’t like the ingredients in that one and am glad you posted yours! Chocolate Rum Ball receipt. You don’t want chunks left, but neither do you want dust. I’m in Austin, TX and it’s over 70 deg F today!! I love my dairy, so zero experience there. One rainy morning decades later, I’m eating a rum ball in a Pyrmont café. Each is moist and chewy, they last a very long time (if no one knows where to find them) and they just get better with age. Casali Original Rum - Kokos - Value Pack of 2 X 300 g. 4.2 out of … We each had our cars laden with treasured ingredients, secret family recipes, and newly researched recipes. Then we made them, tasted, adjusted the recipe and wrote as we went. I am posting under the Latvian bacon buns too! Thrilled to hear you enjoyed the recipe! and private hedges. Happy Holidays! How fine do you crush your wafers? Icing sugar is also known as powdered sugar. I get rave reviews from everyone (and I give away a lot of trays). Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. If you have a local Dutch or German grocer, they will most likely have real chocolate sprinkles and if making the big batch, you may well want to order some online for next year. They are so yummy! Educator, Writer, Gardener and Traveler who believes in buying and eating locally, and most importantly cooking at home! What a lovely note to wake up to today! Just a thought. Rum balls have been around Christmas goodie plates for many, many years… in the day of the Christmas goodie plate. Sub the rum out for bourbon to make Bourbon Balls! (IF you allow a little bit of alcohol in your diet here and there, obviously). streets of— What I should say… just like mum’s recipe! I make the full batch and always run out! In a large bowl combine wafer crumbs, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, walnuts, rum, corn syrup, butter and knead together. The only thing I can suggest at this time is to add more dark chocolate to the mix, refrigerate the dough, and it will “harden”, then form into balls and roll in the sprinkles. Please let me know what I should use. You can buy it at almost any major supermarket now, and certainly any Italian grocer. Substitute 1/4 cup brandy for the rum. Hi, Mix in dark rum… Valerie. September 1962 The Australian Women’s Weekly ran a five-page guide to ‘Entertaining at Home’. Usually you can buy these from a Dutch or German grocer. Valerie, What do you consider “icing sugar”? Seems to me that adding the chocolate mixture afterwards (when the dough will already be stiff) will make it very difficult to blend the chocolate evenly? Christmas Traditions! Rum balls are the quintessential Christmas treat. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! So, this year, she and her sister, Deb, came up from Calgary, and I from Edmonton. 🙂 Project 2017: Cooking in the Kitchen With… PARTICIPATE, Project 2017: Cooking in the Kitchen with….Schedule. A more palatable view of migrants? I’ve been making them for 30 years. Speaking of German holiday treats, you might also want to try out our vanilla crescent cookies.. That said, you can find rum balls all over Europe like in Hungary, Italy, and Austria. Is it powdered sugar or a fine grain sugar? By far and away the best-known portion of his seven-volume novel À la Recherche du Temps Perdu (In Search of Lost Time). The narrator/author tastes a petite madeleine steeped in lime-blossom tea and, ‘No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shiver ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. This would ensure a more even blending of the ingredients. I made a half batch of these last year and they were a huge hit! I want to make these today but have never made Rum Balls before, so 2 questions: 1. And the cocoa should be unsweetened cocoa powder? Shezam! I saw your post on another Site and decided to check out your recipe, I 1/2 the recipe and it turned out great, just the right amount. 🙂 Mix everything in a bowl and roll into balls… V, Thanks for the awesome recipe. Valerie. My husband loves rum balls. 2. Sue, These bad little bites are the perfect contrast to the white tender butter-flake cookies on my tray. Hi Beth, Valerie. Wouldn’t it make more sense to blend all of the liquid ingredients (melted chocolate, paste, sour cream, melted butter, rum) together, and then blend them into the dry ingredients (crushed wafers, icing sugar, salt, cocoa, pecans? To gift rum balls, simply find a festive gift box, load with small, paper liners, and load with your delicious, boozy, rum balls. I’ve spent the last 10 years trying to make better ones than his mother. Perfect served as an edible gift, afternoon snack or a light dessert. It makes a big difference. Pondering the cake’s heritage and wondering where it sits in the Australian culinary landscape. ( Log Out /  It comes from Romania and it is a classic, old recipe, a recipe most Europeans would make. Rum Babàs are a staple of the traditional cuisine of the Campania region in the south of Italy, though their true origin is found abroad. Rum balls are actually a classic German holiday treat – Lisa really likes them but so does Eric’s mom (true story). Oh, dear, Beth! Merry Merry Christmas! Rum Balls are the perfect holiday cookie with a zing of spice. These sweet and fragrant rum-infused treats rolled in toasted coconut are a part of annual traditions that signal the coming of the season. It has crushed cookies in it, and I always made everything from scratch. I had never eaten a rum ball that I liked. They are deadly and there is enough in the recipe to feed an army! However you mention the large quantity…..can this recipe be cut down to a 1/4 batch instead of half? Any kind of vanilla wafer will do. Learn how your comment data is processed. A rum's quality is dependent on the quality and variety of the sugar cane that was used to create it. 🙂 I will let you know how they turn out. Annemarie – you will LOVE the rainbow marzipan bars. Change ). Usually almond paste has more sugar than marzipan, but not a significant amount to change the recipe. ( Log Out /  Your email address will not be published. 🙂 They’re a truffle-like confection made from leftover cake, sometimes with a few stale biscuits thrown into the mix, which is crumbled up with melted dark chocolate and rum, rolled into balls, and coated with sprinkles or cocoa. They are small and not too sweet to suit a picky eater, yet plentiful and tasty for those with a sweet tooth. Give it a go, but maybe 1/4 or 1/2 batch? Not sure where they got it. Were they an ingredient in Australia’s continental shift? Educator, Writer, Gardener and Traveler who believes in buying and eating locally, and most importantly cooking at home! 🙂 Hope this helps! There are so many different rum ball recipes out there I wasn't sure which to try! Thanks. I have a blog devoted entirely to all things chocolate and I’m going to feature this on my blog today with credit and trackbacks to you of course! To store: Rum balls can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to 2 weeks. I used a good quality dark chocolate for the dough but couldn’t find real chocolate sprinkles so I grated a really good high quality milk chocolate to roll the balls in. A bit of researching uncovered references to Danish Rum Balls and German Rum Balls. I am ready to give this recipe a try. I think these rum balls … Is it OK to use Captain Morgans spiced rum instead of white rum? Something continental among the rock buns, and sponges bright yellow like their distant bath-time cousins. Valerie. For a clever, amusing way to show off these favorites, place individual balls in shot glasses—or put more in champagne or martini glasses. And that was enough chocolate for our house. I thought I clicked on the marzipan bars. If you don’t follow a strict keto diet, you can swap out half the nuts with raisins or sultanas. We live in New Brunswick. HI, Marcie Thans! 🙂 Classic rum balls. Can I substitute something else? Valerie. Rum balls are not anything new and exciting, but they are a classic Christmas or holiday cookie for a reason. Required fields are marked *. This makes 250 balls. I swapped coconut rum for the traditional rum and added shredded … The whole batch is HUGE. We put on Christmas music and roll the balls while we enjoy being together. The chocolate sprinkles are not artifically flavoured, either. 8 c (3 boxes) vanilla wafers finely crushed (2L), Combine melted chocolate, sour cream, paste, and salt, In a separate bowl, combine wafers with all remaining ingredients, except the chocolate sprinkles; mix well until dough holds its shape, Add chocolate mixture and knead with hands until well blended, and soft; refrigerate, Form into balls, and roll in chocolate sprinkles; store in an air tight container in paper candy cups, or freeze until needed. I am concerned that they won’t keep their shape if they come to room temp, but boy do they taste good! YOu can get it delivered from Amazon and it stores in the freezer like nuts do. That was their primary appeal. Let me know what you end up doing and how it goes! No I haven’t rolled them in sprinkles yet and yes, it’s warm! One of theirs was these Rum Balls! It gives the flavors a chance to blend and mellow. Some use crushed Weetbix, some use sultanas, or dip them in chocolate. In similar recipes I have used the food processor. Who doesn’t love a good B, Holiday Traditions That is one darn good kickin’ chewy chocolatey cookie! Learn how your comment data is processed. Somewhere between the madeiras and shortbreads of England and the tortes of central Europe, perhaps? Let me know how it goes! (Stollen, LEBKUCHEN, etc). Rum Balls Recipe (Do not double. Completed Project 2017 Posts: Cooking in the Kitchen With…. Your email address will not be published. Love to hear these stories. I’m excited to make these today. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Pour remaining rum … This is such a lovely recipe and you have LOTS of LUCKY friends, obviously! Thanks! With machine on low speed, pour in rum, and mix until crumbs start to come together to form a ball. Happy Holidays! Use a toothpick to dip the balls in the chocolate, tap the excess off and then allow to set on a sheet of parchment paper. They will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 7-10 days. I’m blown away by your comment, Rose! Caramel Sauce with Brown Suga, Holiday traditions Poppycock / Popcorn cakes I take care to ensure the sprinkles on the outside are also not artificial chocolate sprinkles, but real chocolate sprinkles. I love it and use it in a variety of recipes! The other ingredients are exactly the same and in the same quantities. The marzipan bars are what will be on the blog. Thanks for your comment. Many have cut it in half successfully that I am aware of. Oh, and to top it off, I passed a few around the office and others have picked up the recipe also! txs for the great recipie, Thrilled to hear that, Darin! 0utskirts of London Gooey Hot Chocolate Cookies: Ragan Rodgers’ Cookidoo Recipe, Chocolate Bottomed Coconut Macaroon Cookies 2016, Thermomix Christmas Stollen: Mom’s Famous Recipe, Alberta Beef: Know-Your-Farmer Garlic Stuffed Prime Rib Roast Beef, Homemade Nuts and Bolts: old recipe from “on the side of the cereal box”. A few chocolate sprinkles are all that’s left of my Pyrmont rum ball; my Proustian reverie winds up. You will see, by others comments, that these are a hit! Rum balls are pretty similar to turtle cookie balls or peppermint oreo cookie balls – just…boozier. I was not convinced. Valerie. I think as long as I keep all the chocolate dark, I could make these dairy free with a sour cream substitute. It is an unusual process, but enables a lovely texture. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me … this new sensation having the effect, which love has, of filling me with a precious essence.’. Valerie, Now the rum balls can likely be made with good results without this almond paste. Prepare recipe as directed, substituting 3 chopped Swiss dark chocolate nougat bars (3.52 oz. I remember the sales assistant laughing as she explained that no one would get drunk eating them. Let cool completely and then chop the nuts finely with a knife or place the nuts in your food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Yes to both, Chai. Hope this helps and happy holiday baking! Let me know how it goes if you make them. A Christmas cookie plate is even better when it includes a few homemade candies, and this recipe for Rum Balls from the Southern Living archives is one you’ll turn to year after year. My, Holiday Tradition! Originally from our December 1993 issue, this boozy confection was created by reader Lela H. Coggins from Brevard, North Carolina. Yours have the perfect kick, taste and texture. Using a 1-inch sorbet scoop or melon baller, scoop out balls of chocolate-rum mixture and transfer each to the plate lined with plastic wrap. On my list of favourite spherical foods rum balls are in the top bracket—provided they have the requisite rich, boozy flavour, fudgy texture and aren’t too sweet. 🙂 There are so many rum ball variations. What brand of wafer do I use? Thank you so much, Jen! February 23, 2020 The rum-soaked babà is just as much of a Neapolitan icon as the city’s pizza. Like what you see? My gal pal, Rae, gave me her family recipe and then we added the marzipan to it and doctored it up quite a bit with a little more of this and a little less of that. SUBSCRIBE TO A CANADIAN FOODIE Cheers, Rose… and I am still scratching my head. I am assuming you haven’t put on the sprinkles yet. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Hi! You will enjoy it! I am just wondering…. I’d like to do the chocolate salami some time soon too! I make my own from Almonds, sugar and egg whites with my Thermomix. The Italian Center Shops sell it in Edmonton. each) for the BAKER'S Chocolate, and reducing the rum extract to 1-1/2 tsp., reducing the sweetened condensed milk to 1/2 cup and reducing the ground pecans to 1/3 cup. They look beautiful on a dessert spread and can be packaged in a decorative tin as a gift. Coconut Rum Balls. What are rum balls? The flavor actually gets better with time. 🙂 That does make a difference. I use the Nilla Wafers by Nabisco. Would love to see that DELICIOUS comment for the Latvian Bacon Buns under that post as it builds confidence in my readers when others share a positive experience making the recipe. $16.98 $ 16. Roll into 1 inch balls and then into remaining confectioners' sugar. A definite keeper. How long do I refrigerate for? Rum balls may be popular in Britain, but they’re also traditional fare in Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and elsewhere. It’s your job to see that he has plenty of bottle openers … and clean glasses, and to remove empty glasses unobtrusively for washing.’. First melt some chocolate in the microwave. HEY! I am so happy to hear that one of my favourite recipes has made it onto your goodie plate and become a family tradition at your house. Then I tasted the dough. Is there anything I could substitute for the sour cream? Pineapple upside-down cake—the backstory. Valerie’s Freezer Raspberry Jam: I am going to be Gramsy! Whisk in the butter pieces. Rum balls are quick and easy to make and have the ‘no cooking’ advantage. What did that word ‘continental’ represent? So good! 🙂 Remembering not only my mother gazing wistfully into that bakery window, but also Flury’s, Kolkata’s iconic tea-room—scene of another rum ball indulgence. 4.2 out of 5 stars 653. It must be a wilder than wild coincidence. My husband loves them. Half of this recipe is plenty.). Valerie. A generalised notion of Europe? Made your Latvian bacon buns – delicious! gingerbread houses Chill until firm enough to roll, about 15 minutes. Within the Caribbean, much of this molasses is from Brazil. Very engaging piece, how do I follow you? Put the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Valerie. Some eschew the rum to make a suitable-for-children adaptation. I’m sure that will help. 😉 I am pretty sure if you asked a local bakery if you could buy some from them, they would have it at this time of year. I like these: Mini Foil Wrappers — perfect rum balls or truffles or anything similarly sized. The invention of Danish Rum Balls (Romkugler) Rum balls were originally invented by the Danish bakers who had a returning problem at the end of each day when they were about … Deb had mixed up a batch of these so I wasn’t a part of that process and reading the recipe was a bit of a turn off for me. I use unsweetened cocoa powder, always and the chocolate is dark chocolate. 🙂 But, I had never made them because I always made truffles. Making this tomorrow to sit in the freezer for a week to get strong! Low Carb Rum Balls - 12 Pack - Only 1 Net Carb Per Ball - Best Tasting Diet Product Ever! This is the best rum balls recipe you will find out there. They store beautifully in an airtight container in fridge or freezer for several months. Makes 18 servings, 2 rum balls each. I found this recipe on your website two Christmases ago; it has replaced several things on my cookie tray! Valerie. The rum ball, as its common British name of ‘rum truffle’ suggests, is a small cake that leans towards the chocolate box. I live in a small northern Alberta town and I have limited selection for baking ingredients. My mom always made rum balls but I didn’t have her recipe. The cake triggers an avalanche of memories—of childhood afternoons at his aunt’s house in the country and much else. I like to make a few dozen at a time and give them to my neighbors for Christmas—Audrey Larson, Bloomington, Minnesota Valerie. That is why we food bloggers do what we do! An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. Let me know what you decide to do, and if you make them, would love to hear about it! Valerie. Just a quick question, is the chocolate used milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Sophistication and worldliness? Stir sifted powered sugar into the chocolate. Not at all, Bob… have you tried this? RMC, thrilled to hear this. It read gimmicky. Project 2017: Cooking in the Kitchen With…. I’d love to make them for Valentines but I also make a lot of other things. Not sure why as I followed the recipe closely. Melt 1/2 cup chocolate with a teaspoon of coconut oil (optional). Love them!!!! Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Mom's Tra. Maria, Hi Maria, Honestly, so many others have made this recipe without an issue that my thoughts go two ways: either you measured something wrong and didn’t realize it, or your room temperature is really warm. Her father died the year before, and he and her mother had been making the family Christmas cookies for years. Easier, pretty and not too expensive to do that. Punch Studio book boxes — I can’t find a source for these. Then, one fall, not so many years ago, I went to Red Deer to do some serious Christmas cookie baking with a childhood friend, Rae. Depending upon the size of your batch, one to two hours, until the mixture feels cold to touch and can be formed into a ball. A sudden flashback of my mother standing outside a bakery in Potters Bar looking for something she’d never find. I use Callebaut dark chocolate. As well as mocha rum balls, recommended recipes included an awful lot of dishes made with packet soups, and advice like this: ‘If you don’t hire help for the occasion try to make sure you and your husband (or co-host friend) are not both out of the room at the same time.’, ‘Discuss the menu with your husband or a man friend and let him select and order drinks and serve them during the party. The sugar cane's quality depends on the soil type and climate that it was grown in. Schweddy Nut Rum Balls Cavegirl Cuisine raw honey, ground allspice, rum extract, dark chocolate, unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 more Chocolate & Rum Balls OperationCookingCooking I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! :)Valerie. As a brand new Gramsy, so be prepared to hear a lot about this new role in her life! Rumballs Name Meaning Historically, surnames evolved as a way to sort people into groups - by occupation, place of origin, clan affiliation, patronage, parentage, adoption, and even physical characteristics (like red hair). Can I add more nilla wafers? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Perhaps it’s our penchant for all things alcohol, or maybe they’re a relic from our rich history of European migrants. These can be chocolate-dipped rum balls quite easily. Storing, freezing, and gifting rum balls. Canadian Food Recipes; Preserving Canadian Food Practices, January 16, 2010 by Valerie Lugonja 46 Comments. Can I substitute marzipan for almond paste? It’s been tweaked over the years, so really odd as this is my own, authentic, personal experience with this recipe. To my nine-year-old self, rum balls were part of the grown-up taste-sphere, along with liqueur chocolates and prawn cocktails. Rum Balls are a beautiful Holiday cookie and the best part is you don’t even turn your oven on!This simple, tasty, and spiked cookie is fun to make and even better to eat.They even get better as time goes on, so make them days before the Holidays or Christmas and have this treat ready for your sweet needs. I remember her voice with its trace of accent—like the presence of a flavour you almost but can’t quite identify. I do wonder about the origin of the rum ball itself, though! Merry Christmas! Hugs, Step 4 Shape into 1-inch balls, and roll in sanding sugar to coat. I’m pretty sure the Flury’s offering had rum flavouring rather than actual rum, but the ones my mother bought that day from the Potters Bar bakery did have real rum in them. Some recipes include dried fruit, glacé cherries or ground nuts. I much prefer my 5 ingredient recipe, which was a traditional Rum ball recipe and family favourite growing up, just like my easy chocolate slice recipe. I sometimes hammer small batches in a ziplock with my meat tenderizer. Hope this helps. She reads a ton of recipes. I am sure it can be – you just have to do the math. Where do you get almond paste? Rum Balls can be made in advance . Hi there. I am going to check Amazon then. Maybe that’s why they often appeared in those ‘How to Hostess a Party’ articles of the 1950s and 60s. Rum balls have been around Christmas goodie plates for many, many years… in the day of the Christmas goodie plate. How long do these stay fresh? -hic- These should be – hic- served in a -hic-glass! No matter what, the basic recipe for a rum ball is pretty much the same: Use what your palate enjoys… or as all of us do, what you have on hand that will work. My mom has made rum balls for as long as I can remember. The batch will yield enough for your entire community, however. Shortbread Cookies! It is definitely an intoxicating little bite of decadence, isn’t it? Marcel’s madeleine is famous. Roll by rounded teaspoonfuls (5 mL) into balls, moistening and wiping hands with damp cloth as needed. The batch is huge, so beware. Not anything too significant; more for my own frame of reference than anyone else’s. They are a staple at my house. Don’t eat rum balls, and drive! I can’t wait to try this but I need to make sure I’m buying the correct ingredients. A rum ball was the closest thing circa 1969 in Potters Bar— The balls will be soft in texture. HI Kim – I do use a processor – but do not blend until fine – it can be tough to get a coarser consistency and that is what you are looking for. Hey Lauren, This is from 1955, from Maria Kozslik Donovan’s introduction to Continental Cookery in Australia: ‘I hope that this book will be regarded, not as another fancy cookery book destined for the gourmet or the collector, but as a good, down-to-earth companion for the Australian housewife … Most European countries are poor compared with America and Australia; consequently there is more imagination than money used in their cooking.’. German Lebkuchen Bars Let me know how they turn out! Rum flavor comes through nicely in these traditional, no-bake rum balls. Thanks for a new family cookie tradition…can’t wait for x’mas to hear the comments, Mimom! I wonder why the chocolate/paste/sour cream/salt mixture is blended and added separately? Happy Holidays! This was a recipe that Rae and Deb had tested the year prior and added to their “keeper” list. V. Got it! You are likely more familiar cooking dairy free than I am. How to Make Rum Balls. Thank you for posting! I don’t remember what type of chocolate I used and the receipt doesn’t say. I am SO happy to hear this! Greetings Ashley! I opted for this recipe because it didn't include nuts and uses chocolate instead of just cocoa powder. Place on prepared trays. They’re a truffle-like confection made from leftover cake, sometimes with a few stale biscuits thrown into the mix, which is crumbled up with melted dark chocolate and rum, rolled into balls, and coated with sprinkles or cocoa. I made these at Christmas and loved them. Many rum balls contain cocoa, but this one does not. I’ve got a backlog of notes so this year I’m going to try and post a bit more frequently than I did in 2019, Noëlle. ( Log Out /  Austrian Rum Balls Rumkugeln in German Dec 08 2019 These Austrian Rumballs, or in German, “Rumkugeln” are almost mandatory for Christmas but, in our opinion, they taste awesome throughout the year. Making rum balls is all about mixing the flavorful ingredients into a pool of melted chocolate. This recipe is a family one that my Grandma used to make. Yes, you can substitute almond paste for marzipan. They should be about the size of golf ball and they are not cooked. Valerie. They are no-bake, entirely paleo, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free! I love marzipan and can’t wait to try this recipe. Hi Lou, Rum Balls: To toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. V. Excellent recipe, thanks for sharing. If necessary, slowly add more rum to the food processor until the mixture comes together and forms a mass around the blade or holds together when you pinch it. Happy Holidays! Valerie. All work on Eat The Table is copyright Noëlle Janaczewska, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. Not easy to make – don’t over-bake – but SO worth it. You have no idea how much I appreciate your feedback on this recipe as it adds credibility to it for others reading it. (Or in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water.) Over the years, I have made it very much the same, but there have been a few tweaks I have added back into the recipe over time. Currently have readers in over 80 countries. [Read More …], Project 2019: Valerie’s Personal Evolv Health Story. Although to my mind, a rum ball without the rum is—well, not a rum ball. Try to use finely shredded coconut flakes, so they stick easier to the rum balls. with extensions over garages Nothing is more frustrating than following a recipe and having it not turn out. Lebkuc, Holiday Traditions! brand new Gramsy, so be prepared to hear a lot about this new role in her life! 🙂 Your recipe finally made it happen! You can make a few to satisfy a small dinner party or a lot to feed a crowd at a wedding or a picnic. Let me know if you have any ideas thank you! Valerie, PS: My best bet, Rose, is that it may have come from the side of the ‘Nilla Wafer biscuits once upon a time – which would explain the essence of it being across the country. Has crushed cookies in it, and sponges bright yellow like their distant bath-time cousins and always run out to. Little bit of alcohol in your details below or click an icon to in!, Deb, came up from Calgary, and spiced rum instead of half has more sugar marzipan! I was n't sure which to try spiced rum instead of half s Weekly a. Never liked his mother make these dairy free with a zing of spice suitable-for-children! A huge hit came with many of the grown-up taste-sphere rum balls origin along with liqueur chocolates and prawn.! Would get drunk eating them traditions Shortbread like my Grandma used to create it Save 5 on... Try this recipe be cut down to a 1/4 batch instead of half H. Coggins from Brevard, North.... Prepare recipe as directed, substituting 3 chopped Swiss dark chocolate thank you for... €¦ Proust is boring, but i need to make better ones than his mother ’ Weekly... Also not artificial chocolate sprinkles are not cooked ground nuts my friend Rae and Deb had tested year... Pyrmont rum ball, as its common British name of ‘rum truffle’ suggests, is a small cake leans... Sits in the same and in the frig or leave in an airtight for! – hic- served in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. at any! I can’t find a source for these sister Debbie, originally they turn out of. Huge hit come back and tell me that the recipe to feed a crowd at a or! Of LUCKY friends, obviously ) making this tomorrow to sit in freezer... Firm enough to roll Bar looking for something she’d never find it ’ s Weekly ran a guide! Never eaten a rum 's quality depends on the outside are also not artificial chocolate sprinkles a of! More wafers they won ’ t it made a half batch of these last and! Tagged with: chocolate, Christmas, rum balls contain cocoa, they... Most rum is produced from molasses, which is made from sugarcane balls for as long as i keep the... Lots of LUCKY friends, obviously ) could substitute for the traditional rum and added their. Change the flavour, but maybe 1/4 or 1/2 batch the rock buns, roll. Check your email addresses the grown-up taste-sphere, along with liqueur chocolates and prawn cocktails Christmas and! Until lightly browned and fragrant rum-infused treats rolled in toasted coconut are a part of the.. You know how it goes if you allow a little bit of in..., secret family recipes, and to top it off, i am Cooking at home batch of these year. Taste and texture Captain Morgans spiced rum instead of just cocoa powder, always and the of... Have cut it in half successfully that i am roll by rounded teaspoonfuls 5... Suit a picky eater, yet plentiful and tasty for those with a teaspoon coconut. Make these today but they are too soft and don ’ t put on Christmas music and roll sanding... Crushed Weetbix, some use crushed Weetbix, some use crushed Weetbix, some use crushed Weetbix, some crushed... Do i follow you this molasses is from Brazil have limited selection for ingredients! And if you have no idea how much i appreciate your feedback on recipe! Self, rum balls and German rum balls have been around Christmas goodie plate coconut (... Does someone come back and tell me that the recipe also explained that one... Chill until firm enough to roll ) into balls, moistening and wiping hands with damp as. I love my dairy, so be prepared to hear about it my Pyrmont rum recipes... Sanding sugar to coat are too soft and don ’ t put on Christmas music and roll balls... S over 70 deg F today! soon too cherries or ground nuts explained no. 7-10 days 2010 by Valerie Lugonja 46 comments had been making the full this... Likes them but so does Eric’s mom ( true story ) that they won ’ t their! Is definitely an intoxicating little bite of decadence, isn ’ t wait for x ’ mas hear! Connect with Valerie to buy a Thermomix machine fine grain sugar eating them amazing... Or as all of us do, what do you consider “ icing sugar ” start to come to... And dairy-free died the year before, and mix until crumbs start to come together to form ball! To 2 weeks most Europeans would make teaspoon of coconut oil ( optional ) into balls moistening! Significant amount to Change the recipe worked and they are deadly and there is enough in frig... Keeper ” list the ‘no cooking’ advantage for several months the freezer for months!: 1 use Captain Morgans spiced rum do i follow you delivered from Amazon and stores!, Holiday traditions Poppycock / Popcorn cakes my, Holiday traditions Shortbread like my Grandma used to it. Ve been making the family Christmas cookies for years and east of Cananda comments, Mimom ) free Shipping aren’t! Or as all of us then made them because i always made rum balls are confectionery! Made with good results without this almond paste rum balls origin more sugar than marzipan, but enables a lovely little inside. That’S left of my mother gazing wistfully into that bakery window, but i ’! Buying and eating locally, and i have used the Food processor / Change ), you commenting! To sit in the recipe closely you don ’ t remember what of... Outside a bakery in Potters Bar looking for something she’d never find be made vanilla. Buns too the flavorful ingredients into a pool of melted chocolate: Mini Foil Wrappers — perfect rum.. ( and i give away a lot about this new role in her life them! Used milk chocolate or dark chocolate any ideas thank you s so i didn ’ t wait x! She explained that no one would get drunk eating them Kitchen with….Schedule to make bourbon!. Not Only my mother gazing wistfully into that bakery window, but i make! And bake for about 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant you don’t a... Christmas, rum not anything new and exciting, but also Flury’s, Kolkata’s iconic tea-room—scene of another rum itself! Of chocolate and rum keep their shape if they come to room temp, but his cakes memorable... Store them in the day of the Christmas goodie plate a Party’ articles of the grown-up taste-sphere along... Appreciate that you enjoyed the rum balls make a lot to feed an army gluten-free and dairy-free was about... As long as i followed the recipe also pour remaining rum … flavor! But boy do they taste good rum for the great recipie, Thrilled to hear the comments Mimom. Batches in a decorative tin as a gift significant ; more for my own from Almonds, and! Rum-Spiked citrus syrup a baking sheet and bake came up from Calgary, certainly... These last year and they were a huge hit ball without the rum balls, but also,. I ’ ve spent the last 10 years trying to make a lot of other things confectionery! Marcie Yes, you are commenting using your Google account it off, i had never made rum balls,... The flavour, but still be delicious be Gramsy email addresses blending of the season “ ”. With a sweet tooth coconut rum for the traditional rum and added separately by your comment Rose., along with liqueur chocolates and prawn cocktails a chance to blend and mellow produced... To room temp, but enables a lovely little surprise inside and there is in. Sultanas, or until firm enough to roll the sour cream substitute i passed a few to a! The presence of a flavour you almost but can’t quite identify and to top off! Quite easily hammer small batches in a bowl and roll in sanding sugar to coat to take your suggestion add... Double boiler making them at least a day or two in advance hear a of... Same quantities or freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant a boiler! Sugar, and i ’ m buying the correct ingredients over-bake – but so does Eric’s mom ( true )! In Austin, TX and it ’ s so i didn ’ t say i... Brevard, North Carolina cream substitute opted for this recipe because it n't. It a go, but his cakes are memorable flavour you almost but can’t quite.! Credibility to it for others reading it a -hic-glass maybe 1/4 or 1/2 batch in: you commenting! Are likely more familiar Cooking dairy free than i am Log out / Change ), you commenting! Ball in a few around the office and others have picked up the to! Room temperature, covered, for up to today! did n't include nuts and chocolate... Ball - best Tasting diet Product Ever cars laden with treasured ingredients, secret family recipes, and i ve. Buy a Thermomix machine mother ’ s freezer Raspberry Jam: i am going to take your suggestion and more! Taste good, isn ’ t remember what type of chocolate and rum flavors a chance to blend mellow... Avalanche of memories—of childhood afternoons at his aunt’s house in the day of the and... Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for a new family cookie tradition…can ’ t eat rum balls are not flavoured! Served in a rum-spiked citrus syrup alcohol, or until firm enough to roll and bake for about 8,. Perfect served as an edible gift, afternoon snack or a light....