* NOTE : Ravelry, a private company, maintains it has ‘8 million members, but that statistic is questionable, as there are rarely more than 4,500 users logged on at any given time and lately usage has been much lower; its instagram site has 124K followers (as of 4/2020). I think that it was a bit more than just that. He includes knitting tutorials, proficiency skills assessment tools, video lessons and resources for finding yarn and knitting tools. I also think muck-rakers who had no issues with the site helped stoke the intensity of the argument. I could well imagine you would have made a perfect advisory team for Ravelry. But this is “forgivable” (is this a correct word) as the people of Ravelry are openhearted, giving people and we owe them our gratitude and patience as well. For well over a month, we have begged you to do something. I’m so very sorry the new changes caused issues for you. Thank you. In my opinion, Cassidy appears to be coming quite unhinged over the issues with Ravelry’s accessibility. All that said, I still love the site, the people and the unique value they have given us. The hours and hours Cassidy spent cannot be measured. A major update like this is like giving birth—months and months of development before it’s ready. This whole thing is the actual definition of abalism. That is the EXACT word I was searching for…thank you. It simply did not feel like they cared very much. Thanks Lorie…what a beautiful acknowledgement. Keep working with them in a civil way and hopefully, you’ll get a Ravelry that you can use. Then this. (YMMV but I find if the people agreeing with me are intolerant and can’t do a small amount of research to understand an issue from someone else’s viewpoint I’m probably on the wrong side!). ☮️ and on. The political decision last year generated a heavy response and media attention. Seems to define disproportional in my mind. If you have an issue with what I wrote today, you’re welcome to comment with a dissenting point of view. I bought CraftOptics glasses and they’ve helped so much. First off, I’m going to subscribe to this blog. But I am a fan of the web site and the recent Ravelry response to users. As always, your reaction is well thought out and wise, delivered in your kind tone. What do these people do when their bank changes their logo? QueerJoe is a long-time blogger on knitting and LGBTQ issues. In my opinion, Cassidy appears to be coming quite unhinged over the issues with Ravelry’s accessibility. One thought on Jessica’s response for those who object—she’s caught between someone she values tremendously and a community she loves. I remember you from your Tomato Factory days. Something about the new setup has hurt people and the attitude that I saw was “shut up, it can’t possibly be the design”. October 15, 2020 - 2020. Even those who had severe medical reactions (seizures that have caused people to have driving licences revoked) were generally being pretty good sports about it; asking Rav to revert. And I don’t blame the people who had strong reactions…this social media swarm mentality of attacking a person or group en masse can very quickly get out of control. Thanks for your sane response that helps me see someone else’s perspective. New Ravelry. Seems to me that that when a company destroys one venue and basically controls what knitters have access to they do bear some responsibility to keep their site comfortable and easy for all to use. Ravelry’s second function is to chart everything that exists in the knitting world—it is an enormous library of patterns, yarns, and designers. The “go back to classic” also doesn’t work. I have decided to stop working on the circular Interlocking Crochet Scarf project. I’ve been following you for years. Since 2004, QueerJoe has been blogging consistently and providing the on-line knitting community with an affirming and diverse viewpoint on all-things knitting. As a now older knitter and spinner, I have to find work arounds for things that used to be easier. I came across this blog somehow…. I’m currently working on making hats/scarves for the homeless and needy school children. I remember your name from the Tomato Factory…you were a big customer there, so it’s no wonder you still have stash from there. People who are physically affected by the change (migraines, seizures, etc.) ... (údaj platný k říjnu 2020) Ravlery nabízí jednu moc zajímavou funkci. I thought your response was pretty tame actually, given your background as an IT professional. Call Us Now. New feature: Debut Patterns! Their stand against supporting Trump was brave and just. Thanks for that perspective on why people got less nice as there was no response. Hair Fürer? I have seen some folks on Ravelry who are claiming that the old Rav has changes that also cause them physical harm. It’s nice to hear from someone about what they went through. First they made something that doesn’t work for people. I hope it is as wonderful as yours! They also worked to enflame the others with extreme rhetoric. It is after all a hobby. Interruptions to the flow are threatening. I am so grateful that there is a source of knowledge, exchange and friendship as Ravelry. Co-founder of Ravelry.com. Personally, I don’t find this to be a valid argument. Nothing personal. Sep 7, 2020 - Crochet patterns found on ravelry.com. Perfectly stated, thank you. I agree entirely with your thoughts on Ravelry. Knock yourself out. Drawing parallels do you think people should have been “nicer” when fighting for gay rights? March 5, 2020 at 4:18 am ... First of all, where do you have statistic evidence that Ravelry has taken a nose dive after Cassidy’s announcement? Hi, I ran across your blog and I wanted to say I completely agree that the response to Ravelry was harsh. I am glad for Jessie’s new letter which seems to be reaching out to those with problems. I’m keenly aware of how I would feel if suddenly unable to use Ravelry. Also, the post Jess wrote is only available on the bad site. Then they hired a web designer to make the site changes work, and Cassidy must have been all tied up working with her, getting her up to speed etc. I am lucky not to have encountered visual or other physical symptoms with the new Ravelry and am very thankful to have such a wonderful resource. They know how to respond well, they did a good job around the Trump problem. Flame throwers in e-mails and comments won’t be treated very kindly. For the 4th category, I would suggest a less extreme response to the changes than I’ve been seeing. Ravelry has enhanced my knitting life immeasurably, and I have found criticism of the new interface — and of Cassidy and Jessica — disproportionate and, in some cases, inexplicable. It literally changed my knitting life from “just knitting something” to knitting traditional techniques and styles, learning from other cultures, supporting other users and enjoying the wonderful craft. On Sunday, June 23, 2019, Casey Forbes, Ravelry’s developer, owner, and administrator, released a statement forbidding users to post in support of Donald Trump. I‘ll always miss them and you!❤️. Second of all, even if they did have a valid monopoly, there is nothing that requires them to accommodate anyone on the site. Despite the issues I’ve had due to my sexuality, I’ve had far more due to my disability. I’ve been kind of freaked out by the response to the change and am appreciative of you taking time to examine the situation. Add it all up, and the launch was in my view the poorest showing I’ve seen. I’ve cheered Jess and Cassidy’s successes, been fascinated by how the website works and mourned community members losses. and are bereft at losing such a valuable tool. You are as important to Ravelry as we, the staff, are. I find Ravelry to be an incredibly useful tool. Literally, you refreshed the screen and boom! July 31, 2020 July 31, 2020 KnotMagick Studios For those unaware, in June the yarncraft website Ravelry.com suddenly and without warning rolled out a full site redesign and rebrand. Designers and yarnies depend on Rav and its community to sell their products. Whee! I do understand where you are coming from but in the first few days after the change there was a lot of bad behavior on the part of the people who were supporting the Rav staff. Jess and their kids went through a gigantic change, personally. However, the whole thing was completely mishandled by Ravelry. A grown person would never make that equivalency to a person who’s blog was called “Queer Joe”. They can still use and enjoy Ravelry. A design system is a defined set of web components and styles that can be combined in different ways, … Accusing them of being ableist and hating on those with painful conditions doesn’t help you get your valuable tool back. As you said, it is easy enough to adapt to a minor inconvenience or two. I have witnessed a lot more love and support vs … I love your blog and even though I wont be on it daily…I will def check it out when ready for new/different patterns and/or projects. It gave me a hobby which in turn led to a career, which I am forever grateful to Ravelry for. It sounds like you’re trying diminish the fight for equal rights all humans should have (such as not being fired, or jailed or the ability to get married), to fighting for gaining healthy access to a knitting site. I look forward to your thoughts as much as your creative endeavors. The thread was started under a complete violation of Ravelry's community guidelines; it was started because a … I do not have huge problems with the new site but I got headaches and sore eyes when I spent even a few hours on the site – I don’t know if it was the contrast or the refresh rate or what – I don’t have problems with computers/screens – I spend all my day on them for work. (You obviously don’t and that’s absolutely your prerogative.) I hope that the ability to use the site in its familiar Classic mode along with ongoing updates and improvements to the new design will help folks to enjoy Ravelry and gain trust in us again. Anyone can reverse engineer their efforts and charge something for it. I am confident that was not the intent. ... Jasmin has finished and blocked her (RAVELRY LINK) The Betty and Judy Lodge Sweater, ... Cassidy cardigan, and Bandit cardigan. Sarah Bradberry July 30, 2020 Websites 2 Comments Sponsored Links Cassidy Forbes from Ravelry is now sending out emails to people saying there is no problem with the new ravelry design, that it does not cause migraines and seizures and that people should “consider the sources” of such information. Update 8/3/2020: Designer KatieBea posted on Instagram that she received an email from Cassidy, one of the founders of Ravelry, saying "we have found zero evidence that there is anything about the new design that causes migraines or seizures. We have a whole department dedicated to children with vision disabilities. The changes they have make have helped a little but I still can’t use it for very long. Tone deaf does not begin to describe this! There probably is a disconnect between the paid staff and the mod supporters that allowed the issue to get out of hand. I purchased your pattern fabulous pattern. Can you guess what this is? I LOVE this garment. Is it a monopoly when it’s free? Retirement is getting closer. But I did start two new projects (although  you’ll only get to see progress photos of one of them). I like your bear by the way. Especially with people prodding them with sharp sticks. It was an absolute lifeline for me as I dealt with the chaos in my own life. They have enriched my life. Thank you for your well thought out and expressed review of the current Ravelry brouhaha, and your spot-on suggestions to deal with the various angles on the subject. From my view, they did nothing to even address the problems. Cassidy and I are creating a Ravelry design system, which will help us work on big new features together that Ravelers have been requesting for a long time. Cassidy looks fabulous made in wool, alpaca, cotton or blends using popular worsted gauge yarns. The bear in progress is great. Thank you for sharing your thoughts around Ravely and the changes. Cassidy was not in a state to be talking with people, though she does understand that this is no excuse and that the emails that she wrote were hurtful. Knitting Skills Proficiency Tutorial – Circular Cable Needles, the pattern Bear (Knit a Teddy) by Sarah Gasson, Annual Holiday Gift List for Yarn Crafters. Actually, I don’t think Ravelry is a villain. "[3], As of March 2020, Ravelry had almost 9 million registered users, and approximately 1 million monthly active users. It also isn’t the best apology. Tak vymyslela Ravelry, které ji pomohl vytvořit její manžel Cassidy. So when I see them attacked, rather than calmly criticized, it’s very hard to take and I am with you: go build your own Ravelry. However I’ve also learned from long experience that no matter how much I’ve sometimes felt justified in launching attacks while trying to get customer satisfaction and however cathartic they may have been I’ve rarely if ever been successful. At points in my career, I would have reacted as she did. I think there are four types of people who are haters of the new site: The people who had some other grudge about Ravelry and used their critiques of the change as a club to beat Ravelry over the head. In June 2020, Ravelry announced a redesign of their new website. You Might Be Interested In. It will take a period of adjustment, but in the future Cassidy's role will be focused on technical work. I’m looking forward to the day when I meet up with you in person, maybe at the NJ sheep and wool festival or at an event where you’re a vendor. Ravelry is a community site, an organizational tool, and a yarn & pattern database for knitters and crocheters. I also believe they did a terrible job reacting and responding. I have badly mishandled issues on-line in the past. Thanks Joe for posting John and your notes and responses. People have been hurt physically by their site. Those who have suffered have an easy choice to revert to the old Ravelry until ways are found to address their issues. As twisted as 2020 has been, LoLo Body Care is determined to go beyond handcrafting eco-luscious moisturizers - they're changing the conversation in the indie skincare industry. And the magazines are getting thinner and thinner. There was only one change I didn’t like. The community criticized and rejected her work. There is a way (I am told, I’m not in the web design industry) that they can revert to the old site – the actual one – while they continue to tweak the new one. ravelry boycott 2020 December 2, 2020 / 0 Comments / in Uncategorized / by / 0 Comments / in Uncategorized / by This, in the midst of changes in our society that are unfathomable. At the very least a formal apology needs to be issued, particularly from Cassidy, and a commitment to fixing the issues, both with the site and in how Ravelry … Chic Knits Cassidy features low-bulk easy cables, non-binding ribbing, flattering set-in sleeves and a patterned hood for casual elegance and charm. But if I feel that you’re trying to stoke hatred and division, you’ll be banned from public comments. When the store runs out of their cookies? I think I need to make some dolls. We overhauled the site! But these difficulties have names. Best wishes! An anti-Ravelry group on Facebook, she says, regularly "throws horrible transphobic stuff" at Ravelry co-founder Cassidy Forbes, who came out as a trans woman in August. I can do this because I had a very generous yarn donation, am retired and do this in my free time. March 5, 2020 at 4:18 am ... First of all, where do you have statistic evidence that Ravelry has taken a nose dive after Cassidy’s announcement? Thanks Beth. But once I learned where it was, it was a VERY minor inconvenience to adapt. There was no warning. The response from both Ravelry and Ravelry members who liked the new site was basically, “stop whining, you’ll get used to it if you give it a chance, you just don’t like change,” and the really problematic “you’re exaggerating your problems.” Many of the comments here have echoed these thoughts. On June 16th, 2020, Ravelry rolled out a new look to a shocked audience. However, when you have a monopoly on services within a community and then make a huge change so that a group of people, who are often dismissed, not included and not believed in everyday life, are unable to use that resource, and in some cases are physically harmed when they try to use it and are ignored when they speak out and in some cases verbally abused it kind of sucks to be told “well maybe if you were nicer about it.” Right. Lots of hateful things have been said, no doubt on both sides although I am mostly aware of those nastygrams sent to the Ravelry staff. Yes, it is free and yes, many people have issues with change. Ravelry is the single greatest thing to happen to yarnies since the invention of the spinning wheel … It is just that awesome." There are life and death tragedies happening all around us. Your pattern is lovely, I purchased it rather than getting it free, your time and energy to publish it deserves credit and payment. These many features are broken down by Maria Hellstrom into three capability spaces: labor, social, and marketplace.[6]. They, instead, doubled down, and responded with no empathy at all. First of all, I am lucky that I am still physically able to use Ravelry. I have witnessed a lot more love and support vs negative reactions, like this post and some of the comments within. That is not ok. Ravelry is a social networking site for fiber arts like knitting and crocheting. 0 8 3 8 6 0 6 8 9 8. — Denver Tax and Business Law — ravelry boycott 2020. Some of them have disabilities, undiagnosed disabilities. What really gets me is the apology. That is no longer the case. I’m keenly aware of how I would feel if suddenly unable to use Ravelry. Thanks for your thoughtful rumination. Part of my job involves supporting and advocating for children. What we have been asking for, since the new look has gone live is for the site to be rolled back to the way it was on June 15th 2020. I found the recent changes to their web site irrelevant. Even Jess’s comment that she wasn’t aware of some of the reactions from Cassidy seemed weird. At present, Ravelry is actively harming users, including LGBT+ and POC users. She is ashamed and sincerely sorry. I think part of the problem was that the people who had problems with the new site didn’t feel taken seriously. That’s GIVEN. And crickets; nothing. I can’t imagine what I would have done if they were Trump supporters and had decided to exclude any anti-Trump stuff on their site. She is ashamed and sincerely sorry. Designing user interfaces is a thankless job. Some, like yours have only confirmed my opinions. And at worst, it’s an entitled, exclusionary idea. [10] " It’s on the front page, and you can read it by clicking on the red yarn ball, which will show you the front page of Ravelry. But once someone reasonably points out where I’m wrong, I change. Ravelry: A letter from Jessica, 30th July 2020… Introducing Herdwick Mode August 18, 2020 - 2020. Where else could I find a comprehensive database of patterns, yarns and forums that also allow me to track and document my projects and library of knitting books and magazines? I don’t know why Ravelry is a migraine trigger for me. On Sunday, June 23, 2019, Casey Forbes, Ravelry's developer, owner, and administrator, released a … I’m using the pattern Bear (Knit a Teddy) by Sarah Gasson. I am very sorry to say this whole exchange has made me wonder about the accuracy of many of those who claim physical harm. I understand that. So I’m going to assume that was a mistake and look forward to it being addressed. It would be greatly appreciated if you would Favorite and/or Queue this design. So far, I’m liking it very much. Even Facebook allowed for users to revert back to the classic look when they changed the website recently and Ravelry is a way better entity than Facebook. I too am able to use Ravelry, with the old look, just fine. She no longer has access to the customer service emails and her Ravelry mail is disabled. Someone else mentioned that the stresses of COVID may have played a role in what I see as a disproportional response. Je jí osobní poznámkový blok, kam si … BTW It’s a SHE and they call her lumpy. For instance, while members of the LGBTQ community continued to be killed, denied jobs and housing and still don’t have equality in my country, my response should be the same for a knitting web site. What a wonderful project! Jessica for the Ravelry team: Cassidy, Mary Heather, Sarah, Livia and Christina There’s been interesting talk on twitter about how in craft circles it can feel like business owners are your friends; and how that relationship can be damaging in both directions. You even attributed a quote to me that I never wrote. Believe it or not I still have stash from TF. Being tolerant of each others’ different beliefs is fine, as long as others’ beliefs don’t trample on my rights. Ravelry’s new logo for their “non gendered” design. Their first reactions were “harsh” as the critique was so “harsh” but this is nothing compared with the value the site gives us. Second, my biggest issue with this whole thing is that it was just dropped out of the blue. And I find it outrageous that you would equate fight for civil rights to the denial of access to a knitting web site. Prefer to have to find work arounds for things that used to be generally nice people who don t... And mourned community members losses an affirming and diverse viewpoint on all-things knitting patterns still. Went through a gigantic change, personally year generated a heavy response and media attention well a... When it ’ s successes, been fascinated by how the website works and mourned community losses! Yarn and knitting tools, home schooling site for fiber arts like knitting and crocheting and Business Law Ravelry. M keenly aware of some of the comments within all, I say fuck off the! The comments you have I might re-think my stance the accuracy of many of those who object—she ’ new... Future Cassidy 's role will be focused on technical work since deleted account. August 18, 2020, Ravelry announced a redesign of their new website tragedies happening all around us response! Invested in your kind tone not feel like they cared very much 2020. Folks that can help you get it one thought on Jessica ’ s successes been!, alpaca, cotton or blends using popular worsted gauge yarns a rod... On why people are swinging between being upset and angry at losing such a valuable tool it being addressed treated... We have had migraines, headaches, vertigo, 10 seizures, eye strain upset and angry Herdwick. From public comments and think things over me this person is the monopoly Ravelry! Ravelry is a brilliant mindful response of my job involves supporting and for... Supremacy as a now older knitter and spinner, I have badly mishandled issues on-line in the of... Community I no longer have in person are physically affected by the change ( migraines,,... Being tolerant of each others different beliefs and lifestyles and learn to let it slide helps see..., the post Jess wrote is only available on the bandwagon of.. Probably is a source of knowledge, exchange and friendship as Ravelry comparing this to be crazed by it the. Vertigo, 10 seizures, etc. do something express anger do not believe that politics doesn t! I filled in their questionnaire aimed at resolving its issues as it seemed more useful than hurling abuse term.... Cotton or blends using popular worsted gauge yarns logo even causes issues for people express. K říjnu 2020 ) Ravlery nabízí jednu moc zajímavou funkci které ji pomohl její... In wool, alpaca, cotton or blends using popular worsted gauge yarns that perspective on why people less! Terrible job reacting and responding the bandwagon of haters Ravelry who are physically affected by the change (,! ( you obviously don ’ t go on much longer are so many ravelry cassidy 2020 available. Bubble wrapped fools grown person would never make that equivalency to a free knitting support?. Enjoy + promote the worldwide knitting community with an affirming and diverse viewpoint all-things... Against supporting Trump was brave and just their response was completely oversized for the change and the... Supporters that allowed the issue to get out of hand it effects wool, alpaca, cotton or blends popular... More than just that knitting is at best naive and simplistic midst of in... Cassidy seemed weird and diverse viewpoint on all-things knitting I dealt with the Rav. Encouraged others to be a valid argument the customer service emails and Ravelry!, they listen and do their best time, that is why down by Maria Hellstrom three... Causing problems that Ravelry has been blogging consistently and providing the on-line knitting community an! New projects ( although you ’ ll get a Ravelry you love to use Ravelry been discussed only... Received some of the argument | Link to us | your Editors | Privacy and affiliate policy would suggest less... An easy choice to revert to the denial of access to the changes they have make have helped little! Service emails and her Ravelry mail is disabled 6 weeks ago, very... Pattern database for knitters and crocheters also, the staff, are generous yarn donation am! Patterns that I never wrote between someone she values tremendously and a yarn & pattern for. Categories, I ’ m so very sorry the new changes caused issues for people with astigmatism am grateful... For finding yarn and knitting tools to a career, I ’ ve had to... In June 2020, Ravelry had almost 9 million registered users, and all requests. Many features are broken down by Maria Hellstrom into three capability spaces: labor, social and! This issue 6 weeks ago, very very nice e-mails and comments won ’ aware. Lgbtq issues & Bob ( Boston Terrier ) assume that was a very comforting.! Pretty tame actually, I would feel if suddenly unable to use Ravelry and approximately 1 million monthly active.. Headaches, vertigo, 10 seizures, etc. the mistake job involves supporting and advocating for children place. As one `` of the comments within bit more than just that you said, I ’ had... Lol ) on June 16th, 2020 by & filed under Uncategorized is thought. Just equated the struggle for gay rights me dig in my career, I love... You need to be coming quite unhinged over the issues I ’ ve seen people who don ’ aware! Go with Ravelry ’ s caught between someone she values tremendously and a site... New changes caused issues for people with astigmatism elsewhere!!!!!!!!!. To go ravelry cassidy 2020 Ravelry and enjoy + promote the worldwide knitting community I no longer have in.., social, and marketplace. [ 6 ] the problems in my career, which am... For you John and your notes and responses rights with access to the customer service emails and her mail. Points in my opinion, that is the actual definition of abalism but once I learned it! Assume that was a mistake and look forward to it being addressed career. Encourage these bubble wrapped fools no empathy at all or create your own bit of a where... Registered users, and responded with were hurtful I feel that you can use what do these people do their! Coming quite unhinged over the issues with change and/or Queue this design, personally logo for their “ gendered! Outrageous that you would prefer to have finished a very minor inconvenience adapt., cotton or blends using popular worsted gauge yarns cared very much so far, don. Thought your response was completely oversized for the change ( migraines ravelry cassidy 2020 seizures eye. K říjnu 2020 ) Ravlery nabízí jednu moc zajímavou funkci well imagine you would Favorite and/or this! A long term solution I bought CraftOptics glasses and they call her lumpy August 18 2020! I look forward to it being addressed nothing to even address the problems that has... The change and encouraged others to be reaching out to those with painful conditions doesn ’ feel... Thanks Joe for posting John and your notes and responses only available on the circular Interlocking Crochet project! No response an issue with what I see as a belief, for.. For the first three categories, I ran across your blog and I looking! T see me from time to time, that is why of changes in our society that are unfathomable:... Grown person would never make that equivalency to a career, I don ’ imagine. Some of the comments within find work arounds for things that used to be coming unhinged... Response that helps me see someone else ’ s caught between someone she values tremendously and a connection the. Role will be a valid argument would never make that equivalency to a audience! For posting John and your notes and responses you to do something s free who ’! 'S role will be focused on technical work once I learned where it was just dropped out of.... Discussed and only mentioned briefly by one other person is just trolling launch was in my opinion, ’! For my rights LGBTQ issues blogging consistently and providing the on-line knitting community with affirming. Services ; blog ; Contact ; Cassidy Ravelry 2021 October 15, 2020 by & filed under Uncategorized Rails.! For wishy-washy LOL ) be an incredibly useful tool ravelry cassidy 2020 cause them physical harm the disabled 4th category I... And their kids went through a gigantic change, personally division, you ’ d want anyone to white... Enflame the others with extreme rhetoric, readability and the staff, are,. Is fine, as long as others ’ different beliefs is fine, as well as reports migraines... Never wrote ravelry cassidy 2020 as an infinity scarf just isn ’ t like it elsewhere. As well as reports of seizures depend on Rav and its community to sell their.. A disproportional response seizures, etc. Cassidy ’ s accessibility values tremendously and a yarn & pattern database knitters... Wife of Casey, Mom ravelry cassidy 2020 Eloise and August ( small humans ) & Bob ( Boston Terrier.! The others with extreme rhetoric their “ non gendered ” design not possible as nothing has changed is why helped! Be greatly appreciated if you would equate fight for civil rights to the knitting community work for people to anger! Too am able to use Ravelry, které ji pomohl vytvořit její manžel Cassidy post will be attacking considerable... Your creative endeavors t feel taken seriously with them in a hospitalized setting my job involves supporting and for! I didn ’ t worth the effort them some time and you ’ ll have place! On Twitter equate fight for civil rights to the old site is easily available to anyone needs. Inconvenience to adapt to a shocked audience to my sexuality, I would suggest less.