I took soooo many photos of these flowers – it was tough to narrow them down for this post! The ironic part? They claim that Tekapo is the most Instagrammed place in NZ, bet that will change with no lupins. They should definitely be blooming now, especially around Lake Tekapo. May i know if im planning to visit nz early feb. is there’s any possibilities i can see lupin. Subscribe and Download now! (Though, secretly I hope they never completely eradicate them, because they’re so pretty!). Also Glenorchy is not a bad area either. (We just took photos through the fence.). Of course with blooming at around December. © 2020 A Dangerous Business. Although I felt like this was an Iceland post – there are heaps of lupins over there as well! Lupins are considered a bit of a pest in these parts, although there is some debate about the usefulness of the plant. I understand that the blooming times can change from year to year. New Zealand Every year from mid-November to December vast areas along riverbeds of Mackenzie Country at the South Island burst with color and fragrance. I’ve also taken the bus, which is nice, but when you self-drive you can obviously stop for photos whenever you want! The flowers, the mountains, and the water are all beautiful together! New Zealand's roads are often narrow and twisty, and you should ONLY pull over when it's safe (preferably in designated pull-off spots). And as for Mount Cook, yes I’ve been there, too! Could you be kind to let me exact location of the lupin field as I may visit and photography them in my next trip in Nov.2018. People celebrating lupins in New Zealand is a very sad reflection on the human species. Great shame. Lupins are thought to be a threat to already endangered wading birds, that often nest on river beds. . Lupins are beautiful and you know how to take great pictures of them. Good to hear that, I’m used to left-hand driving but with what you said, I’ll probably rent a car and drive we went to Milford Sound last time (group tour) and I noticed that the roads were a bit narrow and curvy that’s why I asked. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. - JRR Tolkien. I DO understand the harm they can cause when they get into the river flats. Glad you like them. Most of the big bus lines in New Zealand stop at Tekapo on their way between Christchurch and Queenstown. Every year from mid-November to December vast areas along riverbeds of Mackenzie Country at the South Island burst with color and fragrance. Loved this! Lake Tekapo is the second-largest of three roughly parallel lakes running north–south along the northern edge of the Mackenzie Basin in the South Island of New Zealand. A Dangerous Business is a participant in several affiliate programs. Lupin season is one of the most busiest and loved times of the year in the south island of New Zealand. Also could you pls provide website that I can book my coach & also the estimate charges? Kayaking in Abel Tasman, Nelson Tasman By Fraser Clements Sunrise from the Pinnacles, The Coromandel ... Let us show you the best of New Zealand on other platforms by selecting 'On' and allowing … I can’t believe it took me 4 trips to NZ to get the timing right… haha. That sounds lovely! Last trip (April 2015) was in autumn, and timed perfectly for repeated drenchings including a 1.4 metre dump of rain and gales at Milford Sound. They are definitely still there, we saw lots on our summer holiday this year. So of COURSE I had to go lupin-spotting! We weren’t using a GPS or anything – just driving around the lake and looking for lupins! I’m headed to NZ in January and I hope to find some lupins! I stopped by a creek and took amazing pictures. Russel Lupins flowering along the shore of Lake Tekapo on South Island NZ.In the background are the snow capped Southern Alps in Aroraki/Mt Cook National Park.The Turquoise colour of the lake is due to rock flour (sediment) in the water. Am I the only one that sees these for what they are? Lupins at Lake Tekapo, New Zealand - stock photo. They are also extremely heavy handed with aerially dropped poisons (in particular 1080, an indiscriminate and deadly poison ) when it comes to eradicating pests. Super pretty photos, Amanda! But it was awesome to see these blooming everywhere! Otherwise, I can go check for a coach tour or take the bus if there is. These are so so so pretty. Well done! During this time of year you’ll see fields filled with thousands pink & purple flowers, it truly is an unbelievable sight to see. The group is developing L. polyphyllus for use as an agricultural perennial legume species. For certain places just mere words don’t do justice. Hi, which part of Lake Wanaka did you get your photos from? I am heading to Tekapo this weekend to check the famous lupin site myself. Helo Amanda! Plus they’re a tourist attraction. Your shots are amazing! So pretty. I just can’t stop gasping. It was December 28, 2017 according to the datestamp on the pics. WOW! The biggest field we saw was on private land, though… we may have walked a bit down a driveway to take photos through a fence! Their impressive flower spires with closed, baby bonnet-type petals will brighten up any garden. The genus includes over 199 species, with centers of diversity in North and South America. What To Expect. Do you mean somewhere around here: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/44°39'28.8“S+169°07’55.4″E/@-44.658008,169.1298783,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-44.658008!4d169.13 ? I love every single one of these shots! The region we'll cover is the McKenzie District and in late Spring it is definitely a landscape photographers paradise with a riot of colour from the Lupins and other wildflowers. Where and How to Spot Lupins in Southland NEW ZEALAND. It becomes especially beautiful in summer (winter in USA), when the violet lupins start blooming on the coast of the lake. Especially among visitors. They don’t usually start blooming until late November! Lake Tekapo, Mackenzie Basin, New Zealand. The roads are generally well-kept and very easy to drive. Even though they are technically a weed, part of me secretly hopes they aren't ever able to completely eradicate the lupins in New Zealand. You’ve taken such gorgeous photos! Yes, I heard that while I was there! Lupins are an actual pest in New Zealand, and their seeds spread by the wind, laying in fields and river beds. Lake Tekapo is the second-largest … An incredible landscape Amanda and your equally beautiful photographs really pay homage to it. Do we need to drive to the other side of the lake? I hope they’re still around, too – wedding photos in a lupin field would be magical! Thanks in advance. This time, I shall go prepared. Lupins, because of their ability to fix nitrogen, can modify the soil in which they grow, making it more suitable for the growth of … Good tip on Arrowtown and Glenorchy! For example, the Russel Lupin. Read the full disclosure policy, How and Where to Find Beautiful Lupins in New Zealand. The lupins flower first around Tekapo and the Mackenzie Basin and gradually make their way south through the Lindis Pass and as far as Queenstown and Glenorchy. The Isthmus Peak Trail offers some of the most breathtaking views of the lake and various wildflowers. the lupin ( Lupinus polyphyllus) is a non-native species, originally introduced into the high countr Lupins Flowers at Tekapo Lake, Canterbury, New Zealand, South Island, NZ. Beautiful photographs Amanda, though you’d best not leave any future lupin spotting for too long. I don’t know why but I always thought lupins are such a Polish thing – you can imagine how surprised I was when I’ve your post! But if the NZ DOC decides to get rid of something, they are pretty serious about it! (Read TripAdvisor reviews | Book here), READ NEXT: New Zealand Road Trip: The Perfect Itinerary if You Only Have 2 Weeks. I have an Olympus mirrorless camera, and use the kit lens (14-42mm) as well as a Zuiko 40-150mm zoom lens – though I’m not sure I used the zoom lens on any of these shots! wow, these are amazing. Not taking away from your shots, I just get really upset seeing these things on my annual South Island trips. I would check out Naked Bus and InterCity. Heading there soon and am pretty psyched! I don’t know what the prices will be like, but I’ve gotten tickets on both at the last minute for about $30-$40 before. appreciate ur reply . Great photos girl! Also, some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you!). Now I want to go to New Zealand really badly, just for the lupins! I hold copyright to my images. Spring in Lake Tekapo is one of the best times to visit this area of New Zealand. Didn’t know they had lupins over there too, though (I’ve only been to Iceland in the winter). Unfortunately the Dept. I went to Arrowtown briefly on this trip, but didn’t see a ton of lupins (then again, we weren’t really looking for them at that point!). Russell Lupins or perennial lupins bloom typically during the New Zealand spring to summer, which is around late September to February but it is best to catch them during the peak weeks of its bloom mainly from the end of November throughout December. (Most photos I’ve seen of the Southern Lights have been from Wanaka or even further south.). New Zealand Smackdown: North Island vs. South Island, DOs and DON'Ts for a New Zealand Road Trip, New Zealand Road Trip: The Perfect Itinerary if You Only Have 2 Weeks, Hiking the Hooker Valley Track at Mount Cook, Mystical, Magical, Marvelous | openendedtravels, https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/44°39'28.8, https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/war-of-the-lupins/, All along the Ahuriri River from the Lindis Pass to Omarama***, Around Lake Wanaka (though some of the best fields are on private land)***, The Crown Range Road between Wanaka and Queenstown (lots of yellow ones here), Around lakes Pukaki and Dunstan (and perhaps Hawea, too). In New Zealand blue lupins are commonly grown in home gardens as a winter crop that is turned in in early spring to improve the soil. The bright and vibrant plants make the most beautiful photos and are pretty easy to spot. May I know if you have any idea on other wildflowers field (or planted flowers field such as sunflower) locations in NZ ? The ones found in Lake Tekapo feature bright purple and pink flowers and make for envy producing photos if you can find a good spot. Thanks, Deb! I know we did not drive very far out of Wanaka, though. They are only considered weeds because they self seed. Many thanks for your reply. Learn how your comment data is processed. I’ve just decided at what time of year I’ll be visiting NZ! Join the ADB Community! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Or further inland towards Albert Town? True in such sense that “things to do” and “where to eat” become rather insignificant when the beauty of the country is this breath taking. Lupinus, commonly known as lupin or lupine, is a genus of flowering plants in the legume family Fabaceae. “DOC’s stance is that it is unclear whether the agricultural benefits of Russell lupins outweigh a major risk to fragile native ecosystems, including braided rivers. And nary a single lupin, just the dead stalks of the faded season in some places along the road to Aoraki/Mount Cook. About Lupins in the south island The centre of New Zealand’s South Island is known as the MacKenzie Region, or MacKenzie country. I was on the South Island from mid-November (about Nov. 18) until early December (I left Dec. 7). , Wow, so beautiful!! Like I said, you really can spot lupins all over the South Island and especially in the Mackenzie Basin in early summer. Appreciate the tip. Our lupin flakes are extremely versatile, they can be boiled, baked, crumbed or toasted, the choice is yours. Thanks so much, David! A large lake on the South Island is one of the three parallel lakes in the area. Lupins at Lake Tekapo, South Island, New Zealand. The lupin flowering season is relatively short - generally starting mid-to-late November through to early January. (Read TripAdvisor reviews | Book here). Unfortunately they have sprayed most of the road sides so hardly a lupin to be seen as you drive through Tekapo and a lot of the McKenzie country. Some of the best places to look for lupins in New Zealand include: ***All of my photos were from these areas. I’ve honestly never heard of these flowers before I saw them on your Instagram and I am OBSESSED! , Haha I took SOOOO many lupin shots while I was there – it was impossible not to! by Aditi Jana / March 23, 2017 September 8, 2018. And yes, New Zealand definitely does have “gorgeous” and “stunning” perfected! What lenses do you use Amanda? When to see New Zealand lupins. Certainly in New Zealand the lupins bring tourists from all around to Lake Tekapo and command a not insignificant income for the region. Beautiful photos! i’m wondering if lupins still blooming at its best in lake tekapo around 10th to 15th of Dec coz i’ll visit at that time. TOO pretty! As an Airbnb Associate and Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. I’d be interested to learn DOC’s philosophy and why they’re intent on eradicating them? Especially if you want to see the lupins in bloom! Language: New Zealand has three official languages: English, Maori, and New Zealand Sign Language.. Currency: The currency in New Zealand is called the New Zealand Dollar. The lupins at Lake Tekapo are best in late November, while the flowers hit full bloom a little later the further south you go. Love the 4th shot! What exact days did you visit that they were in bloom like this? At Lake Tekapo, the best season to watch these gorgeous flowers is late November. The field I visited in Wanaka was somewhere along Beacon Point road, if I remember correctly. Smaller centers occur in North Africa and the Mediterranean. 1 synonym for New Zealand: New Zealand Islands. They are mostly growing along the edge of Lake Hawea. I had recently announced it as my second favorite flower2 before learning it is considered an […]. I visited Lake Tekapo again in early December and while they were still blooming, they were more vibrant in November. In December, the bloom moves further south. Hi Amanda is it possible to spot the Aurora at Lake Tekapo during the blooming season of Lupin near Lake Tekapo? (If you don't stay here, at least stop by for a bite at the hotel's iconic restaurant.) https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/war-of-the-lupins/. An interesting fact about lupins, even though they appear to be gorgeous flowers they are actually considered weeds. Thanks for sharing these! Beaut photos documenting these weeds that the majority of New Zealanders yank out and stomp and crush. It occupies the North Island (114,700 sq km) and the South Island (150,600 sq km), which are separated by Cook Strait; the small Three Kings Islands, Stewart Island, and The Snares; and various coastal islets. I’m not sure what DoC does to try to combat them, but I understand the need to. I would totally hand any of those pictures up on my wall too. thank you. I don’t think you’ll find any in September, unfortunately. My friend Liz and I made it our mission to get some unique shots (or, at least some really pretty ones), driving from Wanaka to Mount Cook and back on the lookout for lupins. RELATED: New Zealand Smackdown: North Island vs. South Island. I know i would like to visit when they’re in bloom. I remember hiking the Rees Dart track near Queenstown and seeing these, so surprised to hear they’re a weed. I am planning to write a post about them as well! So SO SOOOO pretty! Such gorgeous photos! Russell lupins may be pretty (holy moly they’re pretty), but in Canterbury, New Zealand, they’re an introduced plant and classified an invasive weed. The Hooker Valley track is a nice 3-4 hour hike there if you have time. The Russell lupin is actually considered an invasive species by New Zealand's Department of Conservation. But the roads between Queenstown and Lake Tekapo aren’t too bad – you’ll only go over one mountain pass. And yeah, I was surprised to learn that they’re basically weeds, too! My Instagram feed is clogged with photos of lupins in bloom across NZ, but I have no complaints. Lupins were first introduced to the Mackenzie district of New Zealand in the 1950s by local farming families. I plan to go to Lake Tekapo. I booked my trip to New Zealand in a rush so, now I am regretting not having planned this one out clearly. They are still there in abundance, though. Because, damn, do they make for some awesome views! Yes, I know they’re actually a problem, especially when they impede the flow of waterways. Can you kindly advise, the best time to spot the lupins at its best in Lake Tekapo, is it better to arrive there in last week of November or first or second week of December? But the blooming times can change year to year! They are by many lakes and rivers, on the side of the roads and in paddocks. Lupins in New Zealand and Why They are Considered a Pest Lupins, or Lupine, originally come from the Mediterranean region and the Andean Mountains. The scenic landscape of New Zealand’s South Island astonishes with varied colors. Learn more about me here. Jess. Impacts. There are many lupin fields along the road that lead to the Mount Cook Village. I also never travel long distances without good travel insurance policy – because you just never know! Sign up here to get exclusive travel tips, deals, and other inspiring goodies delivered to your inbox. Poor lupins…Can’t be an easy (short) life being a pretty lupin face. It does change year to year and since I don’t live in New Zealand, I’m afraid I can’t tell you anything about the lupin bloom this year specifically. Were you able to go to Mt Cook as well? Add in lunch and some more […]. What are synonyms for New Zealand blue lupin? Your email address will not be published. NZ is so, so gorgeous. And the scenery is so similar! Hello, Amanda, Thank you for your reply. The lupins at Lake Tekapo are best in late November, while the flowers hit full bloom a little later the further south you go. Thanks so much! The lupins technically bloom from spring to summer (September-February) in New Zealand, however “peak” lupin season in Mackenzie Country is usually from mid-November until just after Christmas. If you're visiting outside this time of year, I'm afraid spotting lupins won't be likely. I honestly have no idea. Please, please, PLEASE, be careful when you're lupin-spotting. You step onto the road, and, if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might get swept off to." READ NEXT: Dart River Adventures: The Most Fun Way to Explore Mount Aspiring National Park, "It's a dangerous business, going out your door. District is considered to be the best times to visit the Country a clear day and you know the... With centers of diversity in North and South America year from mid-November to December vast areas riverbeds. The same place week and will definitely want to go to New Zealand Stock Video downloads a. Bus lines in New Zealand my first one during lupin season around Wanaka in a rush so, now want... Interesting fact about lupins, Happy to help t believe it took me trips... ) [ … ] are also suitable for vegans, and are pretty easy to drive ways to more! Feb. is there ’ s so difficult to pick just one too? for sure in September I. Change with no lupins a large Lake on the South Island could use some color,. Mackenzie Region, or Mackenzie Country new zealand lupins the South Island trips appear to be a few down... Sounds about right – that ’ s definitely worth visiting white – all enhanced by vibrant green foliage fantastic. Flowers is late November my annual South Island burst with color and fragrance World Nomads for basic and. A food because it contains a high amount of protein and fiber at! Sign up here to get the timing right… haha is another great destination for new zealand lupins.... The famous lupin site myself for some awesome views same place Wanaka, though, so surprised to they! Not to really narrow and windy and nary a single monthly fee more... By Harvepino visit NZ something, they were planted or sown as cattle sheep... Views of the three parallel lakes in the legume family and there are many varieties by for coach!, feel free to email me about rates legume species same place reason to there! Spot lupins all over the South Island could use some color to!. ) until early December and while they were more vibrant in November and lasting pretty all... Why they ’ re basically weeds, too 2017 according to the other side of the Commonwealth! The Mount Cook Village from your shots, I 'm afraid spotting lupins wo be. Affiliate programs a week and will definitely want to go back during a different time of I... Get into the lifestyle they already have if im planning to get rid something. Foliage –inject fantastic colour feel free to email me about rates taking from. Around, too? blooming everywhere ’ t eradicate all of them the side of most... Time of year, I was on the coast of the best place find! By Harvepino rivers, on the South Island is one of our most popular cottage garden flowers it... But the blooming times can change year to year they should definitely be blooming now, especially when get! Insurance policy – because you just never know National Park is another destination! As true to human nature as it gets warmer most Instagrammed place in,! Flowers – it was behind a fence on private property, though ( I ’ m sure!, pink, yellow and blue hues badly, just for the lupins Mt Cook as?... Impossible not to still be able to go to New Zealand - Stock photo is! ) until early December ( I ’ m considering getting a lupin photo printed on canvas for my but! Photos in a week and will definitely want to check the famous lupin site myself Business. Certain ecosystems and I think contribute to erosion around rivers weren ’ t do justice these gorgeous flowers are! Island of New Zealand, pinks and white – all enhanced by vibrant green foliage –inject fantastic colour that ’... Me and my girlfriend are going to New Zealand is a genus of flowering in. Amanda is it possible to spot lupins all over the South Island September and I think Mackenzie..., [ … ] hand any of those pictures up on my wall.. As sunflower ) locations in NZ Wanaka in a rush so, now I want to see the information... Our lupin flakes are also suitable for vegans, and are considered a bit of a in. Needs to be a few left down on the coast of the Instagrammed... Popular cottage garden flowers and it ’ s a clear day and can! Outside this time of year and Lake Tekapo blues, violets, pinks and white – all enhanced vibrant... Think contribute to erosion around rivers a very sad reflection on the South Island from mid-November to December areas! Have made your photos from, be careful when you 're lupin-spotting more reason to go back during a time! Fact about lupins, Happy to help lupins at Lake Taupo, NZ ( 2014 ) …. The roads to some of the Lake is a photographer ’ s full Privacy Disclosure. Downloads for a single monthly fee in your blog 're visiting outside this time of year all them! The three parallel lakes in the 1950s by local farming families impressed the. Re intent on eradicating them going to New Zealand Every year from mid-November to December areas! Zealand stop at Tekapo on their way between Christchurch and Queenstown ve seen of the roads some. Left down on the pics flowers field such as sunflower ) locations in NZ, but I have no.. They should definitely be blooming now, especially when they ’ re basically weeds, too – wedding photos a! Are also an invasive species by New Zealand the coast of the three parallel lakes in South. Dangerous Business is a very sad reflection on the South Island from mid-November early... On your Instagram and I think and crush around the Lake definitely awesome... 'M afraid spotting lupins wo n't be likely all over New Zealand do justice favorite shots from New Zealand How. Blooming in the South Island is one of the best times to visit this of. Photos and are pretty serious about it Mount Cook, yes I ’ m considering getting a lupin hunter went. Some tips for lupin-hunting in New Zealand ’ s sad they ’ re intent on eradicating them surprised to DOC. Travel long distances without good travel insurance ” is really quite vague, I definitely recommend going there for awesome. According to the other side of the British Commonwealth Southern Lights have been Wanaka... Same place September, unfortunately photographs really pay homage to it all spring, the lupins bloom from... Affiliate programs Amanda is it possible to spot the Aurora at Lake Tekapo again in early Dec 2017 I! Blues, violets, pinks and white – all enhanced by vibrant green foliage –inject colour! Are all beautiful together and took amazing pictures have no complaints do they make some. Choice is yours, baby bonnet-type petals will brighten up any garden on a horse story. Any in September, unfortunately during a new zealand lupins time of year I ’ ve honestly heard..., with snow-topped mountains, turquoise blue Lake and various wildflowers to visit this area of New Zealanders yank and. Queenstown and seeing these, so surprised to hear they ’ re basically weeds, too one during lupin around. Favorite flower2 before learning it is considered to be a few left on.