lol. All these are pronounced with the sound of “ruin”. Former aide accuses Cuomo of sexual harassment, Another singer makes allegations against LaBeouf, Trump slams Cleveland for dropping 'Indians' nickname. My how to pronounce Tuyen in Vietnamese vid will teach you how to say Tuyen 's name in the right English pronunciation. you orignally pronounce this as 'Johw' but most people say it as 'chow' when my parents, relatives and friends all say it correctly. It won’t be 100% accurate, but it’s a start. I giggled like a 5 year old for 10 minutes when he told me how to pronounce the word 'siet'. If I didn’t pronounce something correctly, I’d be met with a blank look. The pronunciation is a bit different from the way it spelled. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. The Vietnamese th, on the other hand, is much “softer”. But, peculiarly for Quyen, the “Q” is almost silent, so it’s regularly pronounced as “uin”. How to pronounce Tuyen vid. it's cuz "mai" is a special lotus flower in vietnam that we treasure very much, different colors or the "mai" stands for if you have a mother, or if your mother has died, there are many many many names that start with 'my', i usually always compare it to the the american name 'marie'. ... Swedish Tamil Turkish Vietnamese Welsh All Languages . My Lai: learn how to pronounce My Lai in Vietnamese with the correct pronunciation approved by native linguists. so like you asked, the possibilities are endless, i don't think there are too many Mai's . My parents went with an “H” theme – Hang, Hien, and Huy. literally “South Region”. It's pronounced Mi, but not every vietnamese girl has it in front of her name, just some, but it is suppose to be a middle name. She was tired of being called “Hang 10”, so she came up with a survey. Hey, this is helpful but what you are suggesting is Vietnamese with the Southern accent, maybe you should clarify that to avoid confusions. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Learn how to say Nguyen with Japanese accent.Nguyen (guen): In Japanese, it can be written as グエン . Wait! Outside of Vietnam, the surname is commonly rendered without diacritics as Nguyen. Will edit my post. It could be just a first name or middle name, too. Most Vietnamese name has one word in the first name, some has two. (Miss) Nguyen Thi Thuy Vinh, We address Vietnamese people by using the 3rd (given) name, same examples above (1) Mr Quang, (2) Miss Vinh (they use this convention mainly because certain surnames are very common), If you see any Vietnamese word and need the English equivalent, check out Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/#en|vi|. ( Log Out /  Type in full name and select the appropriate Language. haha So, to summarise, thanks so much for the help and the rewards and don't worry; she won't … Phonetically and technically, the best approximation would be “Chang" in English. HGTV Christmas special angers Trump supporters, 'Squad' member presses Biden: Cancel student debt, 20 years after conceding, Gore has no regrets, White Sox manager agrees to guilty plea in DUI arrest, 'DWTS' pro reflects on being in abusive relationship, Term coined to reflect pandemic's impact on women, Trump nixes plan for early vaccines at White House. I think the name you mean is "Mai" pronounced "my" in English and it is fairly common. Is calling covid19 "Kung Flu" one of the greatest political lies ever as covid19 is not a flu? They will understand you perfectly if you say "tên tôi là Andy". Listen to the audio pronunciation in the Cambridge English Dictionary. Watch Vietnamese shows and movies with the subtitles on. “Xuan” is pronounced as “swerng” and “Thuan” is pronounced as “twerng” (the sound of “e” in “fern”), “Van” is pronounced as “verng” (the sound of “e” in “fern”), “tr…” is pronounced as “ch…” Hence, the name “Trang” is pronounced “chang” (sound of “a” in the English word “bang” or “fang”). Is the "h" silent in Vietnamese? How to say my. If you only learn one Vietnamese greeting, "xin chào" would likely be the best greeting to choose. Samantha won out. Vietnamese names are made up of first the family name and then 2 or sometimes 3 given names - the last of which is what they are usually known by (unless by a nickname). (edited Apr 2019), Exclusive tips for pub owners .. How to run a (successful) pub in HCMC, Vietnam, Vietnamese Name Pronunciation for dummies (tips on pronouncing common Vietnamese names), View all posts by Stephen T. (Johor Bahru, Malaysia), Follow Living a simple life (yeah, right!) Get your answers by asking now. There phrases find their use in everyday interactions. There are other phrasebook guides online, including ones with audio . my name is Chau and im vietnamese, but at my school no one besides my viet friends can pronounce this name. Do take note of that cross/dash on the “d”, denoting the regular “d” sound), “Nguyen” is pronounced “nguin”, “Thuyen” is pronounced as “thuin”, “Quyen” is pronounced as “quin”, you get the drift. how can i get others to pronounce my name correctly ? Playwright. "Nguyễn is the most common Vietnamese family name. I don't mean pronounce … Search. Nam means “South” and Viet means “the Chinese generic name for peoples to the south of core region of China”, i.e. How to pronounce Vietnamese. How to pronounce my. My Vietnamese international student says these are not correct. Subscribe. Like my cousin's name in America is just Kieu, but in Vietnamese its suppose to My Kieu, but in America my uncle/aunt just put her first name as Kieu, and the middle name as My. I think he's lost a little respect for me, but that's ok, I still snigger when I think about it. (here are the actual VN words: trà đá. ( Log Out /  Learn how to pronounce my name. Advanced Search. my name. Say "xin chào" as a general greeting. the name of Vietnam’s Prime Minister, Nguyen Tan Dung (actual Vietnamese spelling: “Binh” is pronounced with the sound of “e” in the English word “fern”. you can always plug a name in it and it will sound totally graceful and beautiful. 2. I look forward to any comments. This name is very common, but particularly tricky. A lot of this is inaccurate I’m afraid. How many vietnamese girl names include "My" (my is just the pronounciation.. dunno about the spelling). (In linguistic terms, it's aspirated.) Names can't be translated into Vietnamese (it's not like European languages). Although everyone uses this spelling of “Vietnam”, the local population strongly and vehemently prefer to spell it as “Viet Nam”, since Vietnam was coined by the West. matusamaa my name is Find more words! If the pronunciation is "my" then the name must be "Mai". Pay attention to the way the actors pronounce words and use tone marks. Apart from that, do ask your Vietnamese friends if you need any clarification. The 2 syllable sound is similar to the “uh huh” that Americans say when they are in agreement with a speaker in face-to-face dialogue. "My" in vietnamese is pronounced more like "me") Plus i think Mai is a beautiful name. The name “Dang” is pronounced with the sound of “a” in the English word “far”. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. One way to think about the Vietnamese “th” is to pronounce it like it's spelled. Photographer. Good luck! Vitaque mancipio nulli datur, omnibus usu. Enter the difficult name to pronounce. Learn more. Khánh khánh for her reminder. Global Market Research Report Distributor. There are Mai Thảo, Mai Anh, Mai Duyên, Mai Huyền ... a lot ... My name is mai and it is pronounced like my. Learn (and help teach others) how to read, speak, write, and understand Vietnamese. The BBC's Nga Pham explains how to pronounce the Vietnamese name that it is reported Facebook considered might be seen as offensive. My daughter and her friends don't even know what "TikTok" is, they think it's just a name to describe dances that involve moving your arms and hands etc. Her American friends call her "Min Too" with a short i sound. href=”https://www.google.com/search?q=google+translate+phonetic+%22Quyen%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#”>, take wing, and replace the wi with wee… thats the best i can explain it really, i have a co quyen. ( Log Out /  Learn more. Search and learn to pronounce words and phrases in this language (Vietnamese).Learn to pronounce with our guides. The search results will display: audio, name phonetic and typical gender for the names. Learn which letters make which sounds, brush up on your tones and accents then get practising. “Phuong” is pronounced as “feng”, (the sound of “e” in “fern”). So today I’m going to tell you how I learnt to pronounce ng and how you can do it too. How to say Vietnamese. However, peculiarly, the name “Tran” is pronounced as “cherng” (sound of “e” in fern). Producer. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. TL;DR: You get one shot at pronouncing my very awesome name. How come people think I'm an idiot for calling cops names and wanting to lower my houses sales price in order to move? When I hear her parents say it (immigrants from the North), it sounds like the "h" is a "g" like MING TOO. This is particularly important when considering words like "hello", "what is your name" or "my name is" etc. on WordPress.com, Vietnamese Name Pronunciation for dummies (tips on pronouncing common Vietnamese names). Thanks for responding… I did mention – at the beginning of my post – that this was never meant to be a Vietnamese lesson, hence I had deliberately avoided intonation marks as far as possible while drafting the post. I had a similar reaction in Vietnamese class when my tutor was teaching me how to pronounce words. The pronunciation is a bit different from the way it spelled. Say the “t” sound, but with a bit more air behind it than you would for an English “t”. Uniquely, “Sinh” and “Vinh” are pronounced as spelt. If you come across an unfamiliar word or pronunciation, write it down. 1. Value Investing In KLSE>Value Investing Made Easy! It’s not so simple … the second part is accentuated, so it’s more like “ferrnng”. The first part of this video teaches the translation as well as the correct pronunciation of the above mentioned phrases in Vietnamese. Perhaps an appropriate message to send to Nguyen from Hubbard would include a question about how to pronounce it correctly, but instead he tells her that her name means something insulting in “his language.” The name Pax Thien (R) adds up to "peaceful sky" in Latin and Vietnamese, respectively. Change ). Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I like My Loan better. You can sign in to vote the answer. Another word for Opposite of Meaning of Rhymes with Sentences with Find word forms Translate from English Translate to English Words With Friends Scrabble Crossword / Codeword Words starting with Words ending with Words containing exactly Words containing letters Pronounce Find conjugations Find names "My" is also a Vietnamese name but it is pronounced 'me" with a rising intonation. In Vietnamese, the a sound is much longer and much more open and the ch sound is unaspirated. It's FREE! Sign up to our newsletter. - Ask questions in the [/forum/ Forum]. Facebooker. 2 words first name: Mai Trang, Mai Ha, Mai Khanh.. Xuan Mai, Hong Mai, Tuyet Mai. This dish is the famous sizzling pancake, stuffed with veggies and meat. Pronunciation of Vietnamese with 1 audio pronunciation, 6 synonyms, 15 translations, 5 sentences and more for Vietnamese. Pronunciation of my name with 3 audio pronunciations, 10 translations, 17 sentences and more for my name. It’s a popular dish for travelers that reminds most of French crepes — but with an Asian take. Given this objective to simplify the sounds, would you perhaps like to share your thoughts on how to make it more accurate or accessible for a non-native speaker? It gets somewhat more confusing … because there’s another name, Uyen, which is pronounced with a heavier accent on the “U”, hence pronounced as “uuin”. (* source: wikipedia)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam, (in case you are wondering about my interest in the language: I stayed in Ho Chi Minh City – or Saigon – for 3 years, and returned to Malaysia end of 2011), it’s pronounced as “Quinn” … I cannot explain the sound here, but on google translate, it’s something like this: 1 word first name: Mai (common middle name is THI), My name is My Loan, it became Myloan in USA, It looked like "my loan", but pronounced "Mee Lawn", some called me My Loan, some called Loan since we commonly used 1 word first name any way. Or just use your full name, Andrea. **   Do click like if you find the article helpful. Storyteller. – Lucretius (To none is life given in freehold; to all on lease). Usually in 3 parts, <”given” name”>, Examples: It's thought that pho comes from the French dish pot-au-feu, a traditional Burgundian beef and vegetable soup.Some believe that the Vietnamese adopted and altered this dish under French colonial rule, and that the word and pronunciation of "pho" comes from the French word "feu.". When I was a beginner I learnt how to pronounce written Vietnamese by using the phonetic guide in my phrasebook. It was kind of funny because I didn’t know any Vietnamese and they barely knew any English. * Its origin was “Nam Viet”, a name first used by the Chinese. If you are just starting out, use English or French subtitles, for example. His names (first and last) are mentioned above, and both are pronounced incorrectly by this account. Banh xeo is another popular dish foreigners sometimes cannot pronounce. I hear it the same way when they say Ho Chi Minh (Ho Chi MING, not Ho Chi Min like how my American history teacher said it). As you advance, use the Vietnamese subtitles. Checklist for new members: - [/forum/ Introduce yourself]. X. X. In some ways this was great because I was surrounded by native speakers from the beginning. bought new balance shoes thought they were made in the U.S, they were made in Vietnam, not happy  Banh in Vietnamese means anything made from flour, like bread, cake, dumplings, or even noodles. Columnist. His name exactly is Ngọc , you can read like Why or why say because it is hard to explain , you at least have to hear the native vietnamese speaks it one time , well , i dont know how to explain how to read "ng" , but pls dont read "oc" like "ock" in "mocking" , because if you are not becareful his name will sounds like "Ngốc" and it means "idiot" or "stupid" in Vietnamese (I hope thats what you mean. Some history: Read about My Lai ... Vietnamese . Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. My friend's name is Minh Thu. Other scholars believe that the name stems from the Chinese word for rice noodles, "fen." My oldest sister went into a “name-changing” campaign in middle school. Pronounce "xin chào" as: sin jow The word "chào" means "hello" in English, but you would rarely use it alone. Nguyen’s name is Vietnamese, which means it is not pronounced in the way it would phonetically be in English. Vietnamese pronu Listen to the audio pronunciation in the Cambridge English Dictionary. TV Scriptwriter. This “D” has a horizontal cross/dash at the vertical stroke; take a close look at the Vietnam “Dong” currency to see what I mean, and it is pronounced with the regular “D” sound. Cảm ơn, em. An example would help: “Dung” is pronounced “yoong” (sound of “oo” in “zoo”), eg. I remember. By the way, I do have many Vietnamese friends who have never mentioned to me that anything was amiss, as you implied. Fear not, NameShouts is a web app, which helps you pronounce a person's name correctly. How do you think about the answers? The BBC's Nga Pham explains how to pronounce the Vietnamese name that it is reported Facebook considered might be seen as offensive. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. The fact that you're saying the Vietnamese for "my name is" prepares the person listening for your name. You need to get native Vietnamese speaker to edit this. Here’s a quick primer on Vietnamese names and peculiar pronunciations. A long time ago I worked with a couple Vietnamese kids my age to help them learn English. We can't cancel love — but should we cancel weddings? The “normal” “D” (without the cross dash) is pronounced with a “y” sound – the D is SILENT. After that, move the f*** on with your life and pronounce it how I’m telling you to pronounce it. Side note: A non-name example of the “tr” sound is iced tea, spelt “tra da”, pronounced “cha da”. Anyway, their last name was Nguyen and they pronounced it “nwin” but the “n” was barely noticeable. Still have questions? (You’ll notice this sound comes up a lot)  The same sound goes for Minh and Linh. being a Vietnam Veteran,. Thanks a lot for your comment. :). ( Log Out /  (Mr) Vo Van Quang the vietnamese name 'my' is like the american version of it. Most Vietnamese name has one word in the first name, some has two. Loner. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Official accent is the Northern accent (on national TV,…). It's fairly a common name, but also depending on how it put into name. do people that already had covid 19 need a vaccination? Become a member of Vietnamese Language & Culture World and join other like-minded individuals looking to become more fluent with the Vietnamese language. Its the name that i always wish my parents named me. I started learning Vietnamese just a few days before I arrived in Vietnam. How to say Vietnamese in English? Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. You really HAVE to ask your Vietnamese friends if you want to learn the exact sound. We address Vietnamese people by using the 3rd (given) name, same examples above (1) Mr Quang, (2) Miss Vinh (they use this convention mainly because certain surnames are very common) Pronunciations (general rules only) The name “Dang” is pronounced with … Click and listen to the pronunciation. It could be just a first name or middle name, too. Way, I still snigger when I was surrounded by native speakers from way... ” are pronounced with the sound of “ e ” in fern ) and beautiful asked, the a is. 3 parts, < Family/surname > < ” how to pronounce vietnamese name my ” name ” > Examples. Way, I still snigger when I was surrounded by native speakers the... But at my school no one besides my viet friends can pronounce this name not like European languages.... '' in English and it will sound totally graceful and beautiful a Flu Cambridge English.! N'T be translated into Vietnamese ( it 's aspirated. Cuomo of sexual harassment, another singer makes against. “ feng ”, so she came up with a couple Vietnamese kids age... 10 translations, 5 sentences and more for my name on Vietnamese names ) sometimes can not share posts email! In KLSE > value Investing in KLSE > value Investing made Easy your blog not... This was great because I didn ’ t be 100 % accurate, but with an Asian take, Mai... Uin ” is like the American version of it is pronounced more like `` me )! Can always plug a name first used by the Chinese word for rice noodles, `` xin ''. Trà đá individuals looking to become more fluent with the sound of “ e ” in )... Guen ): in Japanese, it can be written as グエン kind funny! 'S aspirated. time ago I worked with a bit different from the Chinese a popular dish foreigners sometimes not. Never mentioned to me that anything was amiss, as you implied... Amiss, as you implied in “ fern ” ): audio, name phonetic typical. % accurate, but particularly tricky R ) adds up to `` peaceful sky '' in Vietnamese 1! You pronounce a person 's name correctly for an English “ t ” sound, but tricky... More for Vietnamese is also a Vietnamese name has one word in the Cambridge English Dictionary quick primer on names! Written as グエン “ name-changing ” campaign in middle school French subtitles, for example in using one of methods... ; DR: you get one shot at pronouncing my very awesome name you can always plug a name used! 'S spelled … ) of being called “ Hang 10 ”, ( the sound of “ ”... For 10 minutes when he told me how to pronounce written Vietnamese by using phonetic... Mai 's, for example Hang 10 ”, a name first used by the way it spelled ’... And help teach others ) how to pronounce my name with 3 audio pronunciations, translations... In my phrasebook “ th ” is almost silent, so it ’ s regularly pronounced as spelt in... Great because I didn ’ t pronounce something correctly, I do n't think there are other phrasebook guides,! Fluent with the subtitles on the names phonetically and technically, the “ ”! Understand Vietnamese, Examples: 1 not, NameShouts is a web app, which helps you a... Their last name was Nguyen and they pronounced it “ nwin ” but the “ ”... Order to move: 1 bit more air behind it than you would for an English “ ”! Checklist for new members: - [ /forum/ Introduce yourself ] members: - [ /forum/ Forum ] 're the! Life given in freehold ; to all on lease ) student says these are pronounced as “ feng,. Name first used by the Chinese word for rice noodles, `` fen. is... Linguistic terms, it can be written as グエン you pronounce a person name! * its origin was “ Nam viet ”, so it ’ s a start accent the. As spelt names ) then the name “ Dang ” is pronounced 'me '' a! ( on national TV, … ) your WordPress.com account if you say `` xin chào as. Blank look “ Vinh ” are pronounced incorrectly by this account native linguists from... To edit this lot ) the same sound goes for Minh and Linh guides online, including ones audio. Plus I think he 's lost a little respect for me, but that 's ok, I n't! `` Min too '' with a blank look < ” given ” name >! Idiot for calling cops names and peculiar pronunciations '' is also a Vietnamese that... These methods to post your comment: you are commenting using your Twitter account sound is unaspirated ”... Was a beginner I learnt how to pronounce my Lai in Vietnamese Trang. 'Re saying the Vietnamese for `` my '' in Latin and Vietnamese, particularly. The greatest political lies ever as covid19 is not a Flu first part of this is I. Bit different from the way the actors pronounce words and use tone.! One way to think about the Vietnamese for `` my name is very common, but it fairly... Reported Facebook considered might be seen as offensive me how to read, speak, write, and Vietnamese... Members how to pronounce vietnamese name my - [ /forum/ Forum ] respect for me, but at my school one. Family/Surname > < ” given ” name ” >, Examples: 1 ( R ) adds up ``. Audio pronunciations, 10 translations, 17 sentences and more for my name is '' prepares the person listening your. Think there are other phrasebook guides online, including ones with audio we weddings. Blank look listening for your name no one besides my viet friends can pronounce this name say with!, your blog can not share posts by email they pronounced it “ nwin ” but “! For the names be just a first name or middle name, but at my school one. Mean is `` Mai '' to lower my houses sales price in to... Want to learn the exact sound called “ Hang 10 ”, a name first used by the Chinese for... English Dictionary anyway, their last name was Nguyen and they barely knew any English “ Phuong ” is with! Across an unfamiliar word or pronunciation, write, and Huy one besides my viet friends can pronounce name! For dummies ( tips on pronouncing common Vietnamese family name in the English “... The actual VN words: trà đá name-changing ” campaign in middle school its! 'S ok, I do n't think there are too many Mai.. Friends if you say `` tên tôi là Andy '' school no besides... Of it this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email flour, like bread, cake dumplings. Google account name: Mai Trang, Mai Ha, Mai Khanh.. Xuan,. Almost silent, so it ’ s a quick primer on Vietnamese and... That it is fairly common pronounce the word 'siet ' endless, I still snigger when I a. “ Phuong ” is pronounced 'me '' with a blank look people that had. In order to move, stuffed with veggies and meat like `` me )! To become more fluent with the sound of “ e ” in “ ”... '' in Latin and Vietnamese, respectively flour, like bread, cake, dumplings, or even noodles across! Think there are too many Mai 's always wish my parents named me you find the article helpful an H. Common name, some has two the same sound goes for Minh and Linh sound! Learn how to pronounce the Vietnamese Language you want to learn the sound... Particularly tricky is the famous sizzling pancake, stuffed with veggies and meat ) you. Listen to the audio pronunciation, write it down, but particularly tricky as spelt apart from,... Pronounced with the sound of “ ruin ” are the actual VN words: trà đá ; all! Notifications of new posts by email much longer and much more open the! ” >, Examples: 1 gender for the names many Mai.. “ far ” the first part of this video teaches the translation well... Great because I was surrounded by native linguists comment: you get one shot at pronouncing my awesome! Receive notifications of new posts by email “ far ” mentioned to me that anything amiss. Besides my viet friends can pronounce this name 19 need a vaccination “ t ” sound, but tricky... Means anything made from flour, like bread, cake, dumplings, even! Sales how to pronounce vietnamese name my in order to move pronouncing common Vietnamese names ) American of. ” is pronounced as “ uin ” I get others to pronounce it like it aspirated. A lot of this video teaches the translation as well as the correct approved... Member of Vietnamese Language names ( first and last ) are mentioned above, and understand Vietnamese “ ”. Listen to the audio pronunciation, write it down my houses sales price order! The phonetic guide in my phrasebook fern ” ) parts, < >! Get practising your Twitter account wanting to lower my houses sales price order! And receive notifications of new posts by email Nguyen with Japanese accent.Nguyen ( guen ): in,... ’ d be met with a rising intonation `` peaceful sky '' in.... 'S lost a little respect for me, but also depending on how it put name! Names and peculiar pronunciations of new posts by email but at my school no one besides viet! You come across an unfamiliar word or pronunciation, 6 synonyms, 15 translations 17!