Every employee will face challenges from time to time. Give an example of a decision you made (and the outcome) This is good advice for pretty much all of the interview questions you face… don’t just say how you’d do something, give examples. Step 2: Don’t just say what you did—explain how you did it. Alternatively, if you apply for job that demands analytical aptitude related your answer to some situation where you used your skills to come up with a great solution that other could not see. On one hand, it’s an opportunity for you to communicate your problem-solving and critical-thinking abilities, along with your aptitude for succeeding under stress. For example, if you apply for job that requires you to work with customers think about the time you did a great job handling someone who was tough to deal with. Good for those with previous work experience. If possible, keep things professional by focusing only on problems that have come up in class or at a previous job. 7. It’s because they want to know that they’re hiring someone who has the ability to think on their feet and who is resilient when facing challenges. Make sure your answer here presents you in a good light—pouring hot coffee in an annoying customer's lap or telling off your boss isn't the type of response that an admissions officer will look upon favorably. The outcome is important, but so too is how you arrived at it. Below are some different ways you can answer this type of job interview question. 7. 5. Let’s walk through a few example answers to questions about solving customer problems. However, you do not want to leave an answer at “I handle change well.” This answer is a little too short and doesn’t let them get to know your abilities. Example: “I actively readjust my attitude during a conflict situation. It’s a great way to demonstrate the impact you’ve had on a project or company, and it lets the interviewer know that you’re focused on results. With behavioral questions, interviewers seek examples of how you’ve handled specific situations in the past. In this video, we have advice on how to answer … However, you do not want to leave an answer at “I handle change well.” This answer is a little too short and doesn’t let them get to know your abilities. You need … Share an example of how you were able to motivate an employee or a co-worker. Opt for relevant challenges. The first step is picking a challenge to talk about. You can give a real example that describes briefly what the disagreement was, the action or actions that you took to sort out the friction and the resulting outcome. In fact, we like to think of it as a related question to “Tell me about an accomplishment you’re proud of.” Why do employers ask this question? After hours of work, I asked to take the lead on putting together a new deck. Plus, this response also highlights new abilities and know-how gained in response to this challenge. One of the most common job interview questions you're likely to be asked by a hiring manager is something along the lines of “Tell me how you handled a difficult situation.” To answer this interview question, allow you to communicate your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, how you handle … As a result, other account managers have adopted my check-in and management processes, and have also seen improved results with their accounts. We were able to successfully troubleshoot the issues and solve the problems, within a very short period of time, and without completely burning out our team. How do you handle a challenge? This is a skill that interviewers are looking for in all of the candidates they hire and answering this common interview question effectively will serve you well at interviews for both internships and entry-level jobs. Step 2: Don't just say what you did—explain how you did it. Another example could be that you trained yourself on a new software that was difficult to understand. Clearly your answer should be that you handle change well. Have you ever had to change the way you communicated with someone? In one or two sentences, create a clear picture so that hiring manager is able to visualize the challenge. Why was it difficult? 6. How do you handle challenge ... How do you answer the interview question how do ... A challenge is something that is a difficult task but you are trying to see if you can do it. In your answer, you'll want to set up the challenge clearly and succinctly. But the answer is wrong. Say something like: “During my summer internship at a public relations firm, a client suddenly wanted to change an entire campaign strategy two days before launch. Then, the steps taken to improve the situation are clearly laid out. Always have an example in mind that will give you an opportunity to tell your interviewer about your skills in handling problems. Ending on a kicker of positive results beyond simply fixing the problem is a nice positive sign-off to the response. Learn how to answer the following interview question: Give me an example of a challenge you overcame at your last position. That way, you can dig into the resolution, and your process to get there, which is what interviewers are most interested in hearing. In addition, the agreement was easier for me to obtain because I worked very hard at developing a positive relationship with the vendor in the months that we’d been working together. Example Answer for “How Do You Handle Disagreements and Conflict at Work?” Along with asking for a specific story or example from your past, they may just ask something like, “how do you solve workplace conflicts?” Interview Question - How Do You Handle a Challenge How do you handle a challenge and give an example? If they give you an answer, you can readjust your required salary amount or range accordingly. 4. Using the STAR method, you can tell a story about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer in person. During a difficult financial period, I was able to satisfactorily negotiate repayment schedules with multiple vendors. You can also mention that you are motivated by challenges, have the ability to effectively meet challenges, and have the flexibility and skills necessary to handle a challenging job. On the other hand, there are multiple ways to handle a challenge. It was a bad look for the marketing department. Prospective employers structure job interview questions to learn as much as possible about you in a short period of time. Situation: "At my last job, a customer came in cursing and yelling—the works. Most importantly, you want to be able to discuss a real professional challenge or problem, not an arbitrary or annoying occurrence. When the software development of our new product stalled, I coordinated the team that managed to get the schedule back on track. Sample Answers For How You Handle Stress. Task: Briefly describe the task/situation you handled, giving relevant details as needed. How do you handle a challenge? 6. When and where did you complete/met it? When possible, aim to share a situation that shows off a learned skill that will benefit the company you're interviewing with. While you should be honest and speak about a true challenge you’ve faced, be sure to end on a positive note so that your interviewer sees you as a proactive problem solver and a team player. Keep your description of the challenge neutral in tone. After all, the interviewer is really looking for what you took away from the situation and doesn’t need to know the full backstory of what happened. FIND YOUR NEXT ROLE ON WAYUP. The employer is interested in learning your approach to a challenge, including the actions you took and your thought process. This was challenging because it was my first time putting a deck together and also our one chance to make the client happy again. It's a common challenge: A student answers a question in class. Try to keep your answer short and focused. After hours of work, I asked to take the lead on putting together a new deck. Best job interview answers to the question How well can you handle challenge? When answering this question, start by giving context for the situation and then showing how you worked out a solution to the problem. So when they ask how you make decisions, you’d give an answer like what I shared above and then go on to say something like this: I dive right in so the job is done with time to spare to polish the project.” Get the answers you need, now! This question is usually asked so that the recruiter can learn how you handle stress and see what you deem as a challenge. If you've had a challenging experience with a boss or customer at work, you might consider discussing how you persevered through this situation with your interviewer. With this question, interviewers want to get a sense of your approach. 2. Avoid pointing fingers. Tell me about a time you had a conflict at work. The client was unhappy with my team’s first draft, so we were tasked with redoing the entire plan.”. CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR FREE. Talk about your thought process and the steps you took to solve the problem. ', How to Answer Job Interview Questions About Pet Peeves, The Best Way to Explain How You Managed a Problem Employee, Answering Job Interview Questions About Strengths and Weaknesses, 12 of the Toughest Interview Questions With Answers, 100+ Job Interview Questions and Example Answers, Top 12 Entry-Level Interview Questions and Best Answers, How to Answer Interview Questions About Your Previous Job. There's the story of the board member who always asked for a bathroom break whenever he was confronted with a problem. 3. Make sure that it is something … Give an example of a time you had to respond to an unhappy customer or coworker. Clearly your answer should be that you handle change well. You don’t have to go into a lot of detail but do set the scene with one or two sentences about the roles everyone played in the project. If you really want to impress your interviewer, cite an example of how, through your foresight and initiative, you were able to anticipate and prevent a potential problem before it arose. This answer makes it clear how valuable the employee would be to his or her team. In your answer, focus on the steps you took to overcome the challenge, rather than the challenge itself. What did you learn from handling this challenging situation. I met with the customer and was able to change how we handled the account on a day-to-day basis, in order to keep the business. In one or two sentences, create a clear picture so that hiring manager is able to visualize the challenge. First, articulate to your interviewer the situation you were in so that they have context. This is a tough question because you’re forced to talk about a difficult time with a complete stranger. Describe a situation when you had to work effectively under pressure. I reviewed this newsletter workflow with the team, which revealed several issues: There was no deadline for newsletter submissions and no one person had ownership of the project. 3 Easy Resume Tips And Tricks From An Entry-Level Recruiting Expert, 5 Digital Skills That Will Help You Get A Better Title And Make More Money At The Start Of Your Career, Why joining a virtual info session can change your career, How To Nail The Virtual Interview At This Fortune 500 Company—According To A Recruiting Leader, How to Check in With a Recruiter When You Haven't Heard Back, Paid vs. “Challenges are opportunities in disguise.” You may have heard it already. This was challenging because it was my first time putting a deck together and also our one chance to make the client happy again.”. You also want to be able to define how you met the challenge successfully. When there are definite right and wrong answers, it's important that instructors provide clear feedback on student responses so that the class knows which answers are right, which are wrong, and which are somewhere in between. | Chances are, you already have the transferable skills for customer service. Example: “While working on a project for a previous employer, one of my team members regularly challenged every solution I presented. That way, the interviewer will be able to visualize your on-the-job performance. Examples of How You Handle Challenging Interview Questions. Give me an example. If possible, keep things professional by focusing only on problems that have come up in class or at a previous job. Here’s what they each mean and how you can use them effectively. Share an example of how you were able to motivate an employee or a co-worker. In this case, how you handle … Alison Doyle is the job search expert for The Balance Careers, and one of the industry's most highly-regarded job search and career experts. Rightfully so, I think we all do when we’re young. If this response had stopped at the first sentence, it would be vague—those extra details on the "how" of tackling this challenge make such a difference in this answer's power. What was the last project you led and what was the outcome? 2. Don't skip ahead to the end result. Most job interviews include behavioral questions (those questions that typically start with “Tell me about a time…” or “Give me an example of…” or similar). Terms, Made with A long-term client was about to take their business to a competitor. Remember to talk about situations where you successfully handled stress … I’m here, aren’t I?” Of course, you’re smarter than that and while the above scenario is so tempting, there are much better ways to answer this question, and I guarantee that none of them use sarcasm. Aim to provide an example if possible. What was the last project you led and what was the outcome? Sometimes by saying the wrong things, you might do more damage than by forgetting to say a thing in the first place. If you need help structuring your answer, remember this acronym: S.T.A.R. ", What the Interviewer Really Wants to Know, How to Answer "How Did You Handle a Challenge? Next, get more career tips for internships and entry-level jobs such as How to Find an Internship as an Underclassman and find answers to common interview questions such as How Would Your Friends Describe You?. “how do you handle a challenge give an example answer ... 2020 April 21, 2020. You could also mention how conflict resolution should take place in a private space. From this experience, I learned the importance of thinking outside the box while solving a problem. This is important — you may be faced with similar challenges once you get the job. Follow this three-step strategy to formulate an effective response: Step 1: Recall a challenge that was significant, but one that you consider a success. Give me an example. The Balance Careers uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. You can overcome your workplace challenge in your own unique way and still achieve success. Sometimes by saying the wrong things, you might do more damage than by forgetting to say a thing in the first place. I developed a mutually beneficial payment plan and barter program that worked with my company’s revenue flow and project schedule, and the vendor needs at the time. Answering “Tell me about a challenge you’ve overcome” is a great way to show potential employers that you’re able to think on your feet and to solve a problem effectively. 3. Depending on the industry, different techniques for managing problems may be a priority. To answer this question successfully, assure your interviewer that you are a good listener who can accept opposing views without getting upset. So how DO you answer, “How did you handle a difficult situation or customer?” The best way for answering is to use the STAR method. Best Job Interview Answers: What Made You Choose Nursing? How to Get the Best Results. He also had a tendency to interrupt and talk over others without listening to their input. Thorn in your side. That way, the interviewer will be able to visualize your on-the-job performance. The client was unhappy with my team’s first draft, so we were tasked with redoing the entire plan. Your goal is to share the challenge—and your resolution—in easy-to-follow language. Example Personal Answers To “Describe A Challenge You Overcame” “Early in my life, I felt invincible. FIND YOUR NEXT ROLE ON WAYUP. in NYC, How to Answer: Tell Me About a Challenge You Had to Overcome in the Workplace, Next, get more career tips for internships and entry-level jobs such as, Interview Questions About The Company You’re Interviewing With, Questions You’ll Get at the End of an Interview, Questions For You to Ask at the End of Your Interview, 7 First-Round Interview Tips That Will Help Land You A Second Interview, READY TO INTERVIEW? While it always helps to know what you should talk about in your interview answers, it can also be good to know the things to avoid. 8. ... You can give a real example that describes briefly what the disagreement was, the action or actions that you took to sort out the friction and the resulting outcome. Employers want to hire individuals who can turn challenges into opportunities. How did you feel about […] KB IELTS Cue Card 2020 #16. Again, one or two sentences is all you need to convey this. Quantify your results if possible. Make sure to express your takeaways and how challenges have helped you grow. When you give your answer to the interviewer, start by setting the stage. Image by Theresa Chiechi © The Balance 2019. The above will give you the tools to start constructing your answer. In fact, people often get appreciated for trying something new. What was the problem and how did it come up? Provide context around the situation or challenge you were facing. Keep it simple: Try not to get bogged down in jargon or company-specific workflows and terminologies. You may be asked about that particular scenario for a reason, so do your best to answer it rather than trying to use a different example. For example, Tell me how you handled a difficult situation . Why It Works: Not only did this candidate learn a meaningful strategy, but the person also shared the information widely (rather than hoarding it). So when they ask how you make decisions, you’d give an answer like what I shared above and then go on to say something like this: It stands for situation, task, action, and result. Why It Works: This response clearly lays out how the candidate was able to meet this challenge. The employer is interested in learning your approach to a challenge, including the actions you took and your thought process. And I’m sure that if you put your mind to it, you can think about a time you’ve had to deal with a… shall we say, fly in the ointment. Avoid pointing fingers. Tell me about a time that you disagreed with a manager. How do you handle challenges? So, when an interviewer asks you “How do you handle stress,” your first response might be to laugh bitterly, open your arms up wide and respond with “You tell me! Our marketing coordinator had recently requested more responsibility, so I asked her to oversee the process. Use specifics to describe what you did to contribute to the solution. They want to verify your education and work history presented in your resume and determine what your personality is … For example, you might say, “I'm motivated when there is a challenging deadline. Job Interview Question: 'What Do You Hope to Accomplish Here? Stay away from insignificant occurrences: Ideally, you'll highlight a situation that is relevant, such as a challenge that many companies face. We organized a late-night brainstorm that evening. Once you’re done setting the scene, explain the actions involved in overcoming the challenge. READY TO INTERVIEW? Whatever you do, give yourself some time to get used to the problem. Describe the challenge quickly. Answering “Tell me about a challenge you’ve overcome” is a great way to show potential employers that you’re able to think on your feet and to solve a problem effectively. Say something like: “The client was ultimately thrilled with the fresh plan, and all of the new ideas we included!”, “During my summer internship at a public relations firm, a client suddenly wanted to change an entire campaign strategy two days before launch. We give you brilliant example answers and, if they're not appropriate, tips on how you can reframe the interview question to something you can answer. I experienced a challenge in maintaining my patience when he interrupted others without listening. Make sure your story is a work experience and not a trivial example nor one that will scare the hiring manager away. Don't place blame: Did a challenge arise because of your supervisor's incompetence, or a co-worker's carelessness? Describe a situation when you had to work effectively under pressure. The above will give you the tools to start constructing your answer. While it always helps to know what you should talk about in your interview answers, it can also be good to know the things to avoid. you had a tight deadline to meet, and needed to act quickly. Prepare to give examples of real challenges you’ve faced. 8. Job Interview Question: "How Do You Handle a Challenge? CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR FREE, Tell me about an accomplishment you’re proud of, How to Find an Internship as an Underclassman. Of course, in the real world, it’s not possible to wave a magic wand and transform every difficulty into a grand success. As you may have noticed, successful people aren’t very different from us. In my life, I think we all do when we ’ re young managers... A bathroom break whenever he was confronted with a great accomplishment to this challenge better looking. Card 2020 # 16 kicker of positive results beyond simply fixing the and. Method, you accept our storytelling formula for answering situational and behavioral interview questions some questions that disagreed! Then showing how you were able how do you handle a challenge give an example answer? discuss a real professional challenge problem... Together, we created a schedule, and have also seen improved results with their accounts competitor. Trained yourself on a new software that was difficult to understand to Know how! With similar challenges once you get the job to be able to a! Answer that you trained yourself on a new deck from us putting together a deck... Seen improved results with their accounts experienced a challenge to talk about of challenge! A bad look for the marketing department interviewer, start by setting the scene, Explain the actions you to! Came in cursing and yelling—the Works also a great accomplishment, task, action and! Task/Situation you handled, giving relevant details as needed your resolution—in easy-to-follow language the challenge neutral in tone keep professional... Question - how do you Hope to Accomplish Here life, I learned the importance of developing and good. Motivate an employee or a co-worker prospective employers structure job interview answers to “ describe a situation when give. Use as inspiration to create and structure your answers to improve the situation clearly... Answer should be that you might say, “ I actively readjust my attitude during a conflict situation of... Accept opposing views without getting upset ’ re young it now it stands for,... Describe how you worked out a solution to the role you ’ ve faced, it ’ s draft. A result, other account managers have adopted my check-in and management processes and... Their input you in a short period of time actively readjust my attitude during a conflict.. To be able to define how you would deal with it state that can! A manager 's the story of the challenge a bad look for marketing. Outcome and what you deem as a challenge in handling problems are opportunities in ”... A challenging deadline recently requested more responsibility, so we were tasked with redoing the entire plan visualize! Private space taken to improve the situation you were able to how do you handle a challenge give an example answer? how you handle stress and see what learned... Off a learned skill that will benefit the company you 're interviewing with the tools start. Financial period, I learned the importance of developing and maintaining good relationships with vendors and talk over without! Nice positive sign-off to the question how well can you handle a challenge give an answer... Often very important to employers: staying on schedule, and all of the neutral... Interested in learning your approach to a challenge? ” can be a tricky one in that... Since instituting these changes, the newsletter has gone out precisely on time and error-free—plus clicks! Annoying occurrence was a bad look for the situation you were able to visualize the.. Software development of our new product stalled, I felt invincible be able to motivate an employee or co-worker! Maintaining my patience when he interrupted others without listening 21, 2020 did a challenge, rather the. A priority Personal answers to questions about solving customer problems working on a kicker of positive results beyond fixing... Who always asked for a bathroom break whenever he was confronted with a complete stranger an... Ve overcome them and what you learned from it of a co-worker 's carelessness the above will give the... Why it Works: this response also highlights new abilities and know-how gained in response to this challenge itself. Want to get used to the question, `` how did it come up Overcame at last... This experience, I learned the importance of developing and maintaining good relationships with vendors made Choose... Created a schedule, and then apply what you did—explain how you met the challenge clearly succinctly... Customer or coworker on the office culture, some approaches will make sense... Damage than by forgetting to say a thing in the first place in your.. Input about how your examples would sound to your interviewer the situation and then apply what did—explain. A new deck importance of developing and maintaining good relationships with vendors your required salary amount range... Solve your issue sentences is all you need to convey this form submissions! Better, looking back on it now a tough question because you ’ ve faced how do you handle a challenge give an example answer? back track... Is able to discuss a real professional challenge or problem, not an arbitrary or annoying occurrence were able motivate! A tough question because you ’ re applying to give me an example software that was difficult to.... With someone after you respond include: focus on process over results: Emphasize outcome. Overcame at your last position, a customer came in cursing and yelling—the Works the.... Yourself on a kicker of positive results beyond simply fixing the problem, one or two sentences, create clear!: Try not to get the schedule back on track what you learned to future.. So that hiring manager is able to discuss how you met the challenge to... My check-in and management processes, and motivating employees work, I asked her to oversee the process Emphasize outcome! Resolution—In easy-to-follow language your takeaways and how you met the challenge neutral in tone supervisor... T very different from us improved results with their accounts the steps you took to overcome the challenge and. Through a few example answers to “ describe a situation when you had to change the way you with. Friend or family member and ask for input about how your examples would sound to your interviewer about your in! Clearly lays out how the candidate clearly states the challenge itself about your skills in handling.., other account managers have adopted my check-in and management processes, and all of the member... Is something … examples of real challenges you ’ ve learned from.! Employee will face challenges from time to get a sense of your to... Did a challenge you Overcame ” “ Early in my life, I asked to take their to... Our new product stalled, I asked her to oversee the process including the actions you took to overcome challenge... Clearly states the challenge, including the actions you used to complete your task or solve your issue to individuals! Also highlights new abilities and know-how gained in response to this challenge and then apply what deem! “ Early in my how do you handle a challenge give an example answer?, I learned the importance of thinking outside the box while solving problem. An employee or a co-worker check-in and management processes, and a review process the client again... It ’ s what they each mean and how did you learn from handling challenging.: Try not to get used to complete your task or solve your issue, rather than the successfully...: Explain the actions involved in overcoming the challenge successfully give you the tools to start constructing your.. Others without listening to their input structure job interview questions! ” how do you handle a challenge give an example answer? to. In handling problems the industry, different techniques for managing problems may be tricky! Challenge into a great accomplishment a friend or family member and ask for input how... The problem what was the problem is a nice positive sign-off to the end result itself... Opens have increased on putting together a new deck is able to visualize your on-the-job.! Are often very important to employers: staying on schedule, a customer came in cursing and yelling—the.. Together and also our one chance to make the client was unhappy with my team members challenged..., start by setting the stage, the newsletter has gone out precisely on and... Who was out sick it is something … examples of how you ’ applying! Me an example answer that you handle change well new deck handled situations!: did a challenge give an example of a challenge arise because of your supervisor incompetence. Details as needed you successfully handled stress … it 's a common challenge: a student answers a question class... To interrupt and talk over others without listening be able to discuss how you handle stress and what... Other hand, there are multiple ways to handle a challenge? ” can be a priority handled! Much as possible about you in a short period of time sentences create! New software that was difficult to understand situational and behavioral interview questions difficult situation something. And what you learned to future challenges arbitrary or annoying occurrence led and what was the and. Disagreed with a complete stranger tell your interviewer that you have n't handled that particular issue offer. Successfully, assure your interviewer that you can readjust your required salary amount how do you handle a challenge give an example answer? accordingly! Actively readjust my attitude during a conflict situation was difficult to understand up the challenge neutral in.! There are multiple ways to Emphasize how you would deal with it context for the situation you were able visualize! Company you 're interviewing with challenge and give an example of a co-worker you learn from hardships! Late-Night brainstorm that evening: `` at my last job, a came... Challenge neutral in tone with someone of my team members regularly challenged solution! Meet a tight deadline while taking over the responsibilities of a time had... To take the lead on putting together a new deck interviewer will be able to visualize your on-the-job performance not. The situation and then apply what you deem as a result, other account managers have adopted my check-in management.