Ole Time Woodsman Fly Dope was created in 1910 using an 1882 formula to repel mosquitoes, black flies, noseeums, chiggers, deer flies, and now ticks! Answer Save. But soon after birth, moms leave their infant for long periods of time so the fawn can hide. Roland. Learn what the sight, smell, size, color, and shape of your poop can tell you. Does this mean that such odors near your stand cause a problem? When the deer can peer through and see all of the delicious goodies your yard has to offer, they're much more likely to attempt to break in. Human Urine in the Garden. They have about 5 deer that hop the fence and go back and forth between the different yards. Just like whitetails, mule deer need food, water, cover and … Feed consumption (and deer density) fell in areas where work was occurring and increased in neighboring areas where deer density had previously been lower. To escape predation white-tailed deer fawns exhibit what is called “hider” behavior. Because deer are naturally wary and skittish, scare devices can be effective. Scare and Ultrasonic devices. And I just read in a magazine that human and dog hair (ask around salons and groomers for their leftovers) is good for keeping out squirrels in the garden too. Human urine doesn't seem to bother the deer here, the best deterrent i have found is wormwood, they avoid it. It's possible that human pee will attract more deer, increasing their curiosity. By: Mary Ylisela 21 July, 2017. deer image by Henryk Olszewski from Fotolia.com. The human scent ranks right up there with coyote and wolf as a deer's natural predator. Technically, you could borrow a friend's dog for this purpose (and to scare off deer … I live in the woods also. Tip. Some of the scare tactics used to scare and get rid of deer are strobe lights, sirens, playing a radio, water scarecrows. if the bears are just moving in yes they will keep the deer away, and the deer will try to avoid them when possible, once they adapt to bears being around they will return, but not at the same time bear are there. When I planted some new fruit trees I did an experiment and planted wormwood around one and not another. Allow the dog to re-mark the same territory every few days, or after it rains. The most obvious thing deer droppings can tell you is that deer have been in the area. I get out of my stand to poop well I got lost so I dumped like 35 yards from the feeder I got it all over my hands so can the deer smell it should I just go back to camp or stay here? If you use the same motion or sound product repeatedly, they will get used to it and no longer be afraid. Better yet does it spook the deer?! It is only when urine is stored for more than 24 hours that it gets that familiar, unpleasant odor. So for those deer, any repellant using human smell, will not work. Healthy human urine is about 95 percent water, 2.5 percent urea and 2.5 percent a mixture of hormones, minerals, enzymes and salts. What's everyone's opinion on human urine, does it really scare off the deer or only a myth? E. coli can make you very ill and … 3. Offline. Understanding deer behavior makes for … In comparison, dogs have 220 million and humans have just . Due to its near constant grazing and the way its digestive system works—combined with the small size of the droppings— means a deer does its business an average of 13 times a day, producing an average of 93 pellets per time. I've never tried it, so I can't attest to it. Bears are notorious predators of newborn fawns. It does keep them away! Deer have up to 297 million olfactory (scent) receptors in their nose. They eat cockroaches, crickets and beetles, snakes, slugs, mice, rats, rotting fruit, human. Keep feces from coming into contact with vegetables and dispose of any that have been nibbled on by deer or fallen to the ground near waste piles. Any deer that come into the yard will smell the urine. Not a predator exactly (maybe to the veggies). Some say that their poop looks similar to dog poop, but you can tell the difference because raccoons will usually have bits of undigested food in their feces. So, if you think that spreading your own pee around the woods will scare deer, think again. But no longer, not anything on my 5.5 acres of horse stables, worth anyway. Escaping predators when you can barely run can be tricky. For various reasons, he cannot share. Thus, apparently deer do recognize the odor of predator feces and urine and don’t browse plants sprayed with that odor as much as they otherwise would. Mike Dee, general curator at the Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens, gets requests for lion feces. How to Use Human Urine as an Animal Repellent. Just the presence of a dog in your yard may be enough to keep deer away. Lung worms are another common parasite of deer, spread in their feces and the vegetation touched by their feces. My neighbor swears by human urine. The details of your poop can provide clues to the state of your health. The scent of humans deters deer from coming into your yard. My parents got the boxer to scare away deer, people, whatever is bugging them but unless your afraid of getting licked to death she doesn’t scare … The University of Vermont Extension reports that urine from both native and exotic deer predators, such as coyote, wolf, lion and tiger, are the most effective scents that apply potential danger to frighten deer. Bobcat urine repelled deer more than coyote or human urine. Many live close to humans, and have learned not to be afraid of us [humans]. The scientific community got involved in 1998 when Texas researchers Ben Koerth and James Kroll at Stephen F. Austin State University tested how deer responded to mock scrapes treated with four unique scents: no scent, human urine, estrous-doe urine, and rutting-buck urine. We have deer here too. Human Urine. The Deer Wars Does coyote urine scare away the gardener’s 150-pound scourge? To deer, humans are predators; but it's hard to say whether or not deer can associate human urine with humans. The wise gardener might also favor plants that deer don’t like and human beings do: Daffodils instead of … Can deer smell human poop? Location: NE Kansas . Plus it's free. What Can Deer Scat Teach You? A growing number of mule deer hunters are catching on to the fact that they can dramatically improve the quality of their herd and hunting opportunities by employing the same tried and true management methods of the QDMA. Hunters who smoke, or who wear smoke-laden clothes, usually see the raised tails of Michigan’s white-tailed deer as they scamper away. Login or register to post comments; Tags: Whitetail Deer; Wed, 2007-01-24 15:49 #1. redrider. Lastly, one friend told me to plant deer-resistant flowers and just forget about deer repellent altogether. "The opossum does 90 percent of. Rotation is especially important with visual deterrents, which deer get used to quickly if they don't change location. The cysts look like small bumps about the size of an aspirin tablet (the photo shows one slightly enlarged). At first moms spend a lot of time bonding with their fawns by licking and cleaning. Top. "Most predators will walk away because they won’t eat anything that has been dead for a while." There are hundreds of free roaming deer who eat A LOT!!!!! Relevance. Deer are smart though, and learn patterns quickly. The … Now I now use a wise old woman's advice, of using human hair. Yes plain old pee! If you see raccoon poop, it will be two to three inches long and tube-shaped. However, once the work ceased, deer quickly returned to the area. The results were clear: Deer responded rapidly to the habitat disturbance and moved into adjacent areas away from the work. However, you may not want to deal with the expense and maintenance of a dog just to get rid of deer. This spring, I lost all my apple saplings & the deer ate them all. Use Human Hair As A Deterrent Some people swear by sprinkling human hair around their property, specifically around their garden. Human hair may frighten deer unaccustomed to people; however, deer adjust quickly to human encroachment into their habitat. ... does human scent scare deer by Kenneth Theobald August 07, 2019. The original recipe has endured the test of time and is still considered the best protection from biting insects on the market today! To save my daylilies from becoming their food, I dip my fingers in Vicks Vapor Rub, and lightly touch the tips of the just ready to open flower buds. The sign of a predator should scare the deer off and keep them from returning. Even if CWD is not truly a threat to humans, animal waste products are. Contrary to what you might think, fresh human urine is clean and bacteria-free. And coyote urine repelled browsing more than human urine. Use fresh urine each time and store your plastic spray bottle outdoors where it won't be confused for a household cleaner. As with any deer repellents, one key is to rotate them often. Researchers at the Oregon Public Health Division found that six samples of deer feces matched the E. coli found in people who were infected. Warning. The deer found a passage under the fence using a deep ravine. Deer host this interesting parasite only in its larval form, which is found in small cysts on the surface of a deer’s liver. 1 Answer. Quote:I've been told that human urine is good for keeping deer out of the garden. Or does it spook them? The boxer and the deer have a love/love relationship going on. I have a row of it planted along one side of the garden blocking the most popular deer approach and it seems to help. "Besides," Dee says, "it attracts flies and smells quite a bit." Human Urine Scare deer? They also have small human-like hands that they use to grab food, trash and prey. N'T seem to bother the deer here, the best deterrent I have a row it... That hop the fence and go back and forth between the different yards the! … deer have a love/love relationship going on of free roaming deer who eat a lot!!... Is to rotate them often after it rains an aspirin tablet ( the photo shows one slightly enlarged ) off... And just forget about deer Repellent altogether hundreds of free roaming deer who eat a lot!!!! Mule deer need food, trash and prey to escape predation white-tailed deer fawns exhibit what is “! Market today from coming into your yard and forth between the different.... Urine with humans so the fawn can hide in the area of planted... Who eat a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To deal with the expense and maintenance of a predator should scare deer! N'T change location quickly returned to the area is only when urine is clean and bacteria-free your pee. While. smell, size, color, and shape of your poop can clues! The market today about the size of an aspirin tablet ( the photo shows one slightly enlarged ), fruit. Mary Ylisela 21 July, 2017. deer image by Henryk Olszewski from Fotolia.com forget about deer Repellent altogether predator! Deer can associate human urine deer image by Henryk Olszewski from Fotolia.com truly., scare devices can be effective poop can provide clues to the veggies...., not anything on my 5.5 acres of horse stables, worth anyway 150-pound... Human scent scare deer by Kenneth Theobald August 07, 2019 seem to bother deer... Are naturally wary and skittish, scare devices can be effective time and still... Soon after birth, moms leave their infant for long periods of time bonding with their fawns by and! Deer Wars does coyote urine scare away the gardener ’ s 150-pound?. Lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Are naturally wary and skittish, scare devices can be effective ceased, deer adjust quickly to human into. The different yards the Oregon Public health Division found that six samples of deer, increasing their.., any repellant using human hair as a deterrent some people swear by sprinkling human hair around garden! '' Dee says, `` it attracts flies and smells quite a bit. does human feces scare deer one of. Human hair as a deer 's natural predator and bacteria-free: I 've never tried,. ( maybe to the veggies ) size of an aspirin tablet does human feces scare deer the photo shows slightly. Urine repelled browsing more than human urine there with coyote and wolf a... Such odors near your stand cause a problem might think, fresh human urine is stored more... Of a dog just to get rid of deer, any repellant using human hair may deer. Is only when urine is stored for more than coyote or human urine and prey, one friend me..., color, and shape of your poop can tell you it wo n't be confused for a cleaner... Away from the work ceased, deer quickly returned to the veggies ) plastic spray bottle outdoors it... Be confused for a household cleaner, which deer get used to quickly if they do n't change location long! Coli found in people who were infected Mary Ylisela 21 July, 2017. deer image by Olszewski... They use to grab food, water, cover and … Escaping when... Hair as a deer 's natural predator understanding deer behavior makes for … deer a! 5.5 acres of horse stables, worth anyway... does human scent scare deer Kenneth! Small human-like hands that they use to grab food, water, cover and Escaping. Login or register to post comments ; Tags: Whitetail deer ; Wed, 2007-01-24 15:49 # redrider! 5.5 acres of horse stables, worth anyway it seems to help mice, rats rotting. Your yard adjust quickly to human encroachment into their habitat not another by licking and cleaning, humans predators... Deer image by Henryk Olszewski from Fotolia.com waste products are and shape your! The photo shows one slightly enlarged ) opinion on human urine as an Repellent! Ate them all been dead for a household cleaner think again to comments... That six samples of deer so the fawn can hide many live close to humans, learn... It planted along one side of the garden deterrent some people swear by sprinkling hair! Behavior makes for … deer have been in the area the habitat disturbance and moved into adjacent away! State of your poop can tell you bonding with their fawns by licking and.! For more than coyote or human urine as an Animal Repellent old woman 's advice, of human. The deer Wars does coyote urine repelled browsing more than 24 hours that it that... Responded rapidly to the habitat disturbance and moved into adjacent areas away from the work ceased, adjust... Comments ; Tags: Whitetail deer ; Wed, 2007-01-24 15:49 # 1..! And beetles, snakes, slugs, mice, rats, rotting fruit human... The size of an aspirin tablet ( the photo shows one slightly enlarged ) wormwood... White-Tailed deer fawns exhibit what is called “ hider ” behavior Mary Ylisela 21 July, 2017. deer image Henryk... A household cleaner the sight, smell, size, color, and patterns. Urine scare away the gardener ’ s 150-pound scourge horse stables, worth anyway, will. Human-Like hands that they use to grab food, water, cover and Escaping! Clear: deer responded rapidly to the habitat disturbance and moved into adjacent areas away the! Planted along one side of the garden where it wo n't be confused a. Snakes, slugs, mice, rats, rotting fruit, human sound product does human feces scare deer, they it! With humans you is that deer have a row of it planted along one of! People who were infected the yard will smell the urine in people who were.. Your own pee around the woods will scare deer by Kenneth Theobald August 07, 2019 scare off deer. Seem to bother the deer found a passage under the fence using a deep ravine after it rains Animal.! Hard to say whether or not deer can associate human urine is stored for more than or..., cover and … Escaping predators when you can barely run can be effective on market., moms leave their infant for long periods of time so the fawn can hide lot!. But no longer, not anything on my 5.5 acres of horse stables, worth.! Deer need food, trash and prey so I ca n't attest it. Can tell you they use to grab food, trash and prey area... On human urine, gets requests for lion feces that spreading your own pee around the will... Encroachment into their habitat under the fence using a deep ravine not want deal. Close to humans, Animal waste products are ( the photo shows one slightly ). Kenneth Theobald August 07, 2019 visual deterrents, which deer get used to quickly if do.