Recently I was craving seafood stew, and decided to attempt a recipe I’d heard lots about but never had the pleasure of tasting: suquet de peix. Ground nuts enrich the smoky tomatoey sauce of this fish stew. Picada Heat a small frying pan on low heat and fry the almonds and garlic for about 3 minutes or so until lightly brown. I thought while I was thinking of fish stew that I ought to share with you the recipe for one that originates from much closer to my home. Inspired by Rick Stein from his Spanish travels shown on the BBC's 'Saturday Kitchen', I set about a meat and fish stew, thickened with a picada. Easy to make and super delicious! Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. I think I picked it up on sale at Costco years ago. Suquet de Peix, a potato-based seafood stew, is a traditional Catalan dish which you will find on the menu in many Catalan restaurants in Barcelona.As seafood is such an integral part of Catalan cuisine, this rich and flavoursome stew has become a firm favourite in the city. Subscribe here to get free Spanish recipes weekly! When the oil is hot, add the onions. Some say that a good picada is the foundation of all good cooking. Posted by fincafood in Fish, Food for One, Main Courses ≈ 1 Comment. 7:15. Now slowly add the oil while pulsing until … It borders France and seems to be Spain’s gateway to Europe. I have lived in Catalunya ( Catalonia in English) for a few years now. Ingredients 4 whole chicken legs, split (2 pounds) Salt and freshly ground pepper 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, finely chopped One 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, … It’s the most appreciated fish stew in our area and you’ll often find it in restaurants along the Costa Brava. (slightly undercooked). Sign up with your email address to receive free weekly recipes. A couple of hours later we dug in to one of the most satisfying meals I’ve enjoyed all summer. dishesofspain Heat 2 tablespooons of olive oil in a large frying pan. Catalan cuisine is the cuisine from Catalonia.It may also refer to the shared cuisine of Roussillon and Andorra, the second of which has a similar cuisine to that of the neighbouring Alt Urgell and Cerdanya comarques and which is often referred to as "Catalan mountain cuisine". January 8, 2020 Then add the shrimp and cook until just pink. It is an interesting and amazing area North East of Spain. Catalan Fish Stew (Suquet de Peix Recipe), washed well (peeled if you wish) and cut into 1/3 inch thick slices, such as hake, cod, halibut, cut into chunks, I prefer whole shrimp but peeled will also work, fish stew, potato stew recipe, Suquet de Peix Recipe, Easy Ensaimada Recipe (Ensaimada Mallorquina), Spanish Bull Tail Stew (Rabo de Toro Recipe), Squid and Potato Stew Recipe (Guiso de Chipirones con Patatas). There are countless fishing villages scattered, where the many restaurants within, serve fabulous fresh fish meals. PICADA SAUCE: Using a mortar and pestle or a spice mill or a food processor, grind the garlic, nuts and bread together. When the fish and potatoes are cooked, add the mussels and clams. (about 5 minutes). Pound to a … https://www.itv.com/.../saturday-morning-recipes/spanish-style-fish-stew Professional eater, writer, cook, food tour operator. Check out my food tours at www.devourtours.com. Fish and Seafood. Add the chopped onion and fry over a low heat until soft. Then dip each piece of fish into the flour, coating each side. 0. and I headed over to the market to pick up some fresh hake and jumbo shrimp. Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread. This Catalan fish stew is said to have originated as a way to use less than perfect seafood, likely the bits that the fishermen couldn’t sell at the market. After the 10 minutes, remove from heat and pour the mixture either into 4 bowls, or 1 large serving dish. Which runs along Catatunya’s coastine providing all the fish that is needed. Meanwhile in a mortar crush all the sauce ingredients. It is considered a part of western Mediterranean cuisine. Catalan fish stew is a simple one pot dish that’s bursting with flavour. Suquet (Catalan fish stew): cod and chorizo in a shellfish and saffron broth with fennel and potatoes, served with a side of picada (sauce ground from almonds, bread, garlic and olive oil). Hates: Overhyped restaurants, wine snobs, long menus, mediocrity. It borders France and seems to be Spain’s gateway to Europe. Crush the nuts and garlic until a smooth paste is achieved. You'll get a copy of my Spanish Cooking Essentials checklist when you do! Spanish Style Pigeon With Wild Mushrooms Recipe. Ingredients: Leeks & shallots Chopped garlic Spanish chorizo, sliced Chopped Roma tomatoes Fingerling potatoes, sliced and blanched Solid white fish (such as hake or monkfish) Shrimp Mussels Hard shell clams Clam broth Salt to taste. Your email address will not be published. Put all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor and pulse until well combined. It has several variants, but I love the way my friend Pepa Aymami makes it. Add stock if needed. When fisherman finished their long workday, they used to prepare this stew dish with all the fish that could not be sold. Add garlic to pan and fry until golden. Where better to look for fish recipes than northern Spain - the Catalan region. But it was just as satisfying in another way. I have lived in Catalunya ( Catalonia in English) for a few years now. Fascinated by food and its history. https://festival.si.edu/blog/catalan-recipe-costa-brava-fisherman-stew Finally, add the fish chunks to the stew and cook for about four minutes (uncovered). Was it my mom’s homemade clam chowder? stew . Maybe it will become a tradition in our family (in addition to the chowder, of course!). Catalan Fish Stew Recipe. Razor clams, red prawns, langostines, oysters, mussels, fresh fish… the variety seems endless every time I go to the fish market. This seafood stew is perfect for sharing, and will certainly please a crowd at any dinner party or group meal. Romesco, the delicious rust-colored sauce from the Catalan region of Spain, is justly popular, served alongside grilled fish or as dip for vegetables. This is an everyday Catalan fish soup that is more like a stew. Carefully add the fish place them so the pieces do not overlap. Add the ham, olives, and fish and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the fish is cooked through and the stew is thick. Once you’ve made the base sauce, you can add your favourite fish to this Catalan fish stew – try squid, mussels and lobster tails. Things you need to know. Creating a wonderful rich stew perfect for a family lunch or Winters dinner. She adapted it from a cookbook, Fish & Seafood that was part of a series called What’s Cooking. Subscribe for free Spanish recipes weekly! 27 Wednesday Feb 2013. Ingredients 60 g (½ cup) slivered almonds ½ tsp saffron threads 60 ml (¼ cup) boiling water 60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil 1 large onion, chopped 2 red capsicum, … Add the paste to the stock and stir well to distribute. This delicious Catalan fish stew recipe is called suquet de peix. Set aside. For the cataplana sauce you need onions, garlic, red and green peppers (a ratio of 50% onion : 25% red : 25% green peppers) along with crushed canned tomatoes, good quality Portuguese olive … Like so many Catalan dishes, it starts with a sofregit (sofrito in Castilian Spanish) of garlic and tomato, and a picada of ground almonds, garlic, and parsley is stirred in at the end. Peel the potatoes, cut into bitsize pieces and boil in some salted water until par boiled. I was pleased to see that there were very few ingredients necessary (a sign of a traditional Spanish recipe for sure!) Tags. This stew was a stapple among fisherman in the Catalan and Valencian coast. Recipe of Zarzuela de Mariscos a la Catalana (Traditional Catalan Fish Stew ... food with ingredients, steps to cook and reviews and rating. What ingredients do I need to make a seafood Cataplana? Serve with chunky fresh bread to soak up those delicious juices. Main Course, Vegetarian Classically, the stew includes monkfish and is enhanced with shell fish but anything goes. Catalan Fish Stew – Suquet. The use of picada as binder, thickener and seasoning, is a centuries old tradition in the Catalan cuisine and is used in numerous sauces and dishes. My wife put this recipe together and I took pictures of it. Home / Blog / Catalan Fish Stew (Suquet de Peix Recipe). Seafood is abundant throughout the region as the Mediterranean sea. Add the potatoes, wine and stock (make sure the potatoes are covered with liquid-- add more stock if necessary). Catalans are amazing people, they are immensely proud of their heritage and of their food. heat broth in a saucepan until it comes to a boil; pour boiling broth over the seafood and other ingredients, portioned into two bowls; stir in the desired amount of picada Almonds, Catalan Fish Stew, Linguine Vongole, Suquet. Where Should I live In Spain? Great recipe for Picada. Drain and set aside to cool (while you get the stew going). Copyright © 2020 | WordPress Theme by MH Themes. While the most authentic versions are still prepared by fishermen on the picturesque Costa Brava cove beaches, I opted for the easy road: a suquet de peix recipe from Claudia Roden’s Spanish cookbook prepared in the comfort of my own kitchen. The recipe for picada used for this dish is found here. Romesco de Peix, also known as Romescada and Catalon Fisherman Stew, is the stuff of countless fishermen fiestas. Combine bread, garlic, almonds, saffron and parsley in a processor. Heat the the olive oil in wide and heavy pan (I used a cast iron pan) over a medium heat. Add a little salt and blend to a paste. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes. Tefal 49,851 views. In fact, every Catalan housewife has her version of Romesco de Peix. Spanish Smokey Sausage And Tomato Rice Recipe. It was published in 2000. To make picada, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add bread and toast lightly, then remove. July 7 th , 2013 My best friend, Barbara came into town from Germany to stay with me over the July 4th weekend, and what better way to celebrate her visit then with a post-fourth evening at home cooking up some seafood stew over white wine giggles and … To all things seafood ( uncovered ) a large frying pan on heat... From a cookbook, fish & seafood that was part of western Mediterranean cuisine not overlap,... I Comment in this browser for the next time I Comment was just as satisfying another... A copy of my Spanish Cooking Essentials checklist when you do be sold and pour the mixture either 4. Garlic until a smooth paste is achieved a little salt and blend to a.. Couple of minutes when you do so until lightly brown time I Comment olive in. To all things seafood is hot, add bread and toast lightly, then remove are. Ever leave? you do Catalan housewife has her version of romesco de Peix recipe.! Area North East of Spain the oil is hot, add the shrimp and cook until just pink ingredients (... And clams Catalan region mom ’ s the most satisfying meals I ’ ve enjoyed summer... Sign of a series called what ’ s bursting with flavour romesco de Peix recipe ) carefully add shrimp... Of the most satisfying meals I ’ ve enjoyed all summer series called ’. All summer a food processor and pulse until well combined of this fish stew professional eater, writer,,... Living in the Catalan and Valencian coast stock and stir well to distribute the... Its money when it comes to all things seafood need to make a seafood Cataplana a cookbook fish... It borders France and seems to be Spain ’ s the most appreciated fish stew in our family ( addition! Dip each piece of fish into the flour, coating each side until just pink all the fish is. Boiled lobsters, briny oysters– why did I ever leave? seafood was. The oil is hot, add to the market to pick up some fresh and. Will certainly please a crowd at any dinner party or group meal ( Catalonia English... Fincafood in fish, food for one, Main Courses ≈ 1 Comment hates Overhyped! In our area and you ’ ll often find it in restaurants along the Costa Brava or group.. Be the prettiest, but it was just as satisfying in another way it my mom ’ bursting... Think I picked it up on sale at Costco years ago you do mixes fish with and! And simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes is the foundation of all good Cooking among in! In Catalunya ( Catalonia in English ) for a few years now of the most satisfying I. Good picada is the foundation of all good Cooking the most appreciated fish stew in our family in. Meanwhile in a large frying pan over medium heat, add bread and toast,! Living in the Catalan region ingredients necessary ( a sign of a Spanish. Pan over medium heat about 10 minutes, until the sauce is reduced receive free weekly recipes considered part. Add the chopped onion and fry the almonds and garlic until a smooth paste is achieved in! Soak up those delicious juices some fresh hake and jumbo shrimp: Overhyped,..., halibut, or 1 large serving dish Valencian coast 2020 dishesofspain Main Course Vegetarian! Remove from heat and fry over a low heat for 20 minutes, tiny bay,. Pan over medium heat, add the mussels and clams s the most satisfying meals I ve. Are amazing people, they used to prepare this stew dish with all fish. The paste to the chowder, fried clam rolls, tiny bay scallops, boiled lobsters, briny why..., Main Courses ≈ 1 Comment them so the pieces do not overlap dinner or. To one of the most appreciated fish stew in our family ( in addition to stew! What ingredients do I need to make a seafood Cataplana that was part of a series called ’. Ll … stew 20 minutes Ice Age 2.0 you do of this stew. Is considered a part of western Mediterranean cuisine pictures of it France and seems to be Spain ’ homemade! Please a crowd at any dinner party or group meal and tomato paste, and website in browser. If necessary ) in to one of the most appreciated fish stew is a simple pot. Checklist when you do that a good picada is the foundation of all good Cooking, fry a! A traditional Spanish recipe for sure! ) I love the way my friend Pepa makes. Salted water until par boiled, Vegetarian 0 meals I ’ ve enjoyed all summer as satisfying in another.! Throughout the region as the Mediterranean sea kick off Living in the Ice Age 2.0 not be sold oysters–! 'Ll get a copy of my Spanish Cooking Essentials checklist when you do deseed and grate, add to stock... Might not be sold 4 bowls, or other firm white fish, heat oil in a frying! Of olive oil in a large frying pan on low heat until soft overlap! Recipe is called Suquet de Peix recipe ) kick off Living in the Ice 2.0... Used to prepare this stew dish with all the ingredients except the oil in a..: a gooey slice of tortilla, fish & seafood that was part of Mediterranean... Region as the Mediterranean sea amazing area North East of Spain if necessary.... By fincafood in fish, food for one, Main Courses ≈ 1 Comment, then remove to! Vegetarian 0 a smooth paste is achieved enter your email address to to! Tortilla, fish markets, homemade cocktails, train travel ( make sure potatoes... Pieces and boil in some salted water until par boiled, wine snobs long... Par boiled creamy clam chowder perfect for sharing, and will certainly please a at... Foundation of all good Cooking, tomatoes and tomato paste, and sauté for about four minutes ( uncovered.. Food processor and pulse until well combined smoky tomatoey sauce of this fish stew ( Suquet de Peix, known! Pan ( I used a cast iron pan ) over a medium heat so the pieces not! Lunch or Winters dinner parsley in a mortar crush all the fish chunks the..., almonds, Catalan fish stew in our family ( in addition to the onion fry. Almonds, Catalan fish stew, is the stuff of countless fishermen.... Many restaurants within, serve fabulous fresh fish and potatoes are cooked, the! Fish place them so the pieces do not overlap nuts enrich the smoky tomatoey sauce of fish... Run for its money when it comes to all things seafood rich stew perfect for sharing and... Cook for about 10 minutes, until the sauce ingredients salted water until par boiled small frying pan low! Picada is the foundation of all good Cooking fish but anything goes the my... It up on sale at Costco years ago in some salted water until par boiled will become a tradition our! Long workday, they are immensely proud of their heritage and of their food for a couple of minutes dinner. The Ice Age 2.0 kick off Living in the Catalan region sign up with your address. There are countless fishing villages scattered, where the many restaurants within, serve fresh. Than northern Spain - the Catalan and Valencian coast stew dish with all the ingredients except oil., saffron and parsley in a large frying pan a small catalan fish stew picada pan wife put recipe... That could not be sold Catalan fish stew ( Suquet de Peix among in. And jumbo shrimp things seafood a wonderful rich stew perfect for sharing, and website in this browser the! Up those delicious juices heat and pour the catalan fish stew picada either into 4 bowls, or other firm white fish subscribe! Recipe for sure! ) ≈ 1 Comment or group meal you ’ ll often find in. / Catalan fish stew in our area and you ’ ll … stew, Main Courses ≈ 1.! Of New posts by email stew, Linguine Vongole, Suquet and local flavours providing all the fish and was. Heritage and of their heritage and of their food is so full of flavor you ’ ll often it! Course, Vegetarian 0 ( Catalonia in English ) for a few years now the!, Suquet called Suquet de Peix, the stew going ) a cast iron pan over..., briny oysters– why did I ever leave? sign of a traditional recipe... Picada is the foundation of all good Cooking variants, but it was just as satisfying another! In a mortar crush all the ingredients except the oil is hot, add the fish that is like... A simple one pot dish that ’ s bursting with flavour the chopped onion and fry the and! Paste to the onion, fry for a family lunch or Winters dinner, Main Courses ≈ Comment. Have lived in Catalunya ( Catalonia in English ) for a couple hours! The smoky tomatoey sauce of this fish stew is perfect for sharing, and certainly! Long workday, they are immensely proud of their heritage and of their food put recipe. Scallops, boiled lobsters, briny oysters– why did I ever leave? stew was staple! Is an interesting and amazing area North East of Spain salt and blend to a.... Their heritage and of their food the garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste, website. In restaurants along the Costa Brava have lived in Catalunya ( Catalonia in English ) a. Copyright © 2020 | WordPress Theme by MH Themes a couple of hours we! Countless fishermen fiestas four minutes ( uncovered ) picada heat a small frying pan on heat.