I know in Cyprus you cant drink tap water, is this the same in Athens? Drinking water in Greece meets EU standards, so is safe to drink. Or you can use a water filter as I do but that might not be practical if you have to take it in your luggage. Traveller’s Notes. There was no general information available in WHO data about safely managed drinking water in Georgia. Locals drink the tap water everywhere by the way. If yes, are there many public water fountains aroumd? Less chrorinated, if anything. You may check the rate of travelers and residents of Athens water quality. Get answers to your questions about Athens, Hotels near National Archaeological Museum. EWG's drinking water quality report shows results of tests conducted by the water utility and provided to the Environmental Working Group by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, as well as information from the U.S. EPA Enforcement and Compliance History database (ECHO). Personally I don't follow this rule as I find it a bit oversimplified, but it is always a good idea to ask. Tap water is drinkable and safe. Many times the locals take it for granted that everyone knows that you cannot drink the water and won't remember to point it out to you. When in doubt buy bottled water and ask the locals of the area you are staying if they drink tap or bottled water. People in Athens rate the Water Quality with a 75 score out of 100. I haven't seen any cautions about drinking the tap water in Athens, but .... Generally tap water is safe to drink anywhere in Greece, including the ... is tap water safe to drink in Athens? Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. When it comes down to it, tap water in Athens and surrounding areas comes from the manmade Lake Marathon, and is considered safe to drink according to the report Evaluation of the quality of drinking water in regions of Greece. BTW Zgreekgal, I've just reread your post and noticed you said in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31953751', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Cyprus you can't drink tap water (well, we did, so I guess it may depend on where in Cyprus you are?) If out in the coutryside do not drink water from streams, no matter how clear & sparkling it might look. Kathy - coming from Leeds you may be used to very soft Yorkshire tap water, so whilst the water in Athens is safe you might find the different mineral content does not necessarily mean it agrees with you or tastes so good.. No real necessity in Greece these days to brush teeth with bottled water. Zgreekgal presumably drinks (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. It will have another mineral consistency of the tap water you're used to at home though. Tap water is drinkable and safe in most of Greece but not always in small villages and on some of the islands. If you'll be visiting more rural areas, it's best to avoid it. Athletes occasionally may drink too much water in an attempt to prevent dehydration during long or intense exercise. Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Please be cautious that "moderate to very high" water pollution is bad and the higher the rate of water quality the better. However, this is rare. I usually stock up with a couple of large bottles.. 6 pack..when basing somewhere and start out the day when heading out by filling up a smaller bottle I've had from the night before! ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31944909', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Cyprus. Don't be afraid to ask!! is it safe to travel to greece summer 2012? It is slightly salty at the islands for example. Always ask locally if the water is safe, and if in doubt drink boiled or bought water. I know in Cyprus you cant drink tap water, is this the same in Athens? Bosnia and Herzegovina The tap water is safe to drink in Sarajevo, but you should avoid drinking it outside of the capital. The sodium content of your blood becomes diluted. Every place is different. Thank you. It can be very salty and taste pretty awful in one place and OK in another. The best way plan is to drink tap water in moderation, accompanying ouzo or coffee, but if you want to drink a lot because it is hot or you are active then best to stock up on bottles. Just ask the staff at wherever you're staying if you're unsure. Water in Athens and Thessaloniki and other big cities is safe to drink. Drinking too much water is rarely a problem for healthy, well-nourished adults. Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility. Around the country is a different story - in the countryside I'd stick with bottled water as … I advise visitors to use it for anything like brushing … Trust me on this, she will be fine in Athens, does not need to use a water filter and will probably not even taste the chlorine. There is currently no information about the water quality in Athens County. I live in one of those places - we drink only bottled water, which is available at a rate of about €2.20 for 12 liters. This is because some of the locals will drink it because they are used to it but us who live in big cities won't be able to digest it! Tap water is perfectly drinkable in entire Greece. Tap Water vs Bottled Water . You may check the rate of travelers and residents of Athens water quality.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'canyoudrinktapwaterin_com-box-3','ezslot_13',105,'0','0'])); Travelers and residents of Georgia have rated the water quality and pollution as follows, according to subjective survey data. but in Athens and in most of Greece you can definitely drink tap water. Kathy - coming from Leeds you may be used to very soft Yorkshire tap water, so whilst the water in Athens is safe you might find the different mineral content does not necessarily mean it agrees with you or tastes so good. Athens tap water IS safe to drink. Bottled water is regulated in price, and so cheap there is no reason not to use it. Golden Coast Holiday Club Resort, Marathon Greece, Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. But the water quality in Ohio has a general rating of 57 out of 100. The tap water is not potable throughout the country. I definitely would not think twice about drinking it. Tap water in Athens is generally safe and I don't think twice about drinking it at a restaurant, however plumbers have recommended not to drink it from the tap (pipes) of old buildings. A score of 100% is considered very high, and a score of 0% is very low. You can buy very large plastic containers of water … Here in Folegandros, it has to do with the reservoir system, the pipes, and even the water delivery ships that bring the water from Lavrio. Reputable car hire company by Athens Airport? Say in a restaurant you want water will they bring you tap water or mineral? A rule that many people follow is never drink the water in a port town. Unique Sailing Experience from Athens to Agistri, Moni, and Aegina, Athens Private Luxury Catamaran Cruise with Traditional Greek Meal and BBQ, 10 day quarantine for anybody entering Greece from 17/12-7/1. No, tap water is not drinkable. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31949659', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Greece is very economical..sold everywhere! Every place is different. Most of the botled water comes from the sources of Crete, which have the most delicious tap water. The reason is simply the tap water varies so much within Greek Islands like Crete, Santorini etc. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. You can definitely NOT drink tap water everywhere. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Here is what they told us: 13 people said "I drink filtered tap water", 12 people said "The tap water is not safe to drink", 2 people said "I love the tap water … In restaurants they will either bring you tap water in a jug or still bottled water - never fizzy. Generally in … We advise that you ask locals or hotel staff about the water quality. Can You Drink Tap Water in Athens? It's always good to ask, because sometimes the water is not drinkable, but in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? (only exception I found was in the Mani, where there are hardly any springs and tap water often has to travel a long way) Answer 11 of 14: Never been to Athens before so need to know if the tap water is safe or should I buy bottled water? Yes, you can drink it, although it does have a chlorinated taste, sometimes stronger than others. Drinking too much water can lead to water intoxication, which can be fatal. Maybe. Answer 1 of 2: Arriving in Athens on May 23. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. - returning to UK, Statue of young woman near Statue of Alexander the Great, travelling from Athens Airport to Piraeus. The tap water is safe to drink in all the main cities and towns. The local supplies managed by EYDAP, a merged of incumbent water supplier in Athens and Piraeus(Hellenic Water Company and Greater Athens Sewerage Organization). Yes, bottled water is good/easiest/best option to default to everywhere. Answer 1 of 10: I haven't seen any cautions about drinking the tap water in Athens, but is it advisable for taste reasons to drink bottled water. We asked people from Thessaloniki if they like their tap water. There was no general information available in WHO data about safely managed drinking water in Ohio. Good mineral water is also widely available. Answer 1 of 9: Is it safe to drink tap water in Greece? In Corfu Town, it has to do with the pipes. Some places will bring you (tap) water even if you don't ask for it. more. The water everywhere in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? In a restaurant you could be brought either unless you specify. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31947965', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Athens is generally safe and I don't think twice about drinking it at a restaurant, however plumbers have recommended not to drink it from the tap (pipes) of old buildings. Yes! When you seek for this information (if the water is drinkable or not in a certain area) don't ask the locals, ask an Athenian. On many of the islands this is not the case, so ask. Answer 1 of 14: Never been to Athens before so need to know if the tap water is safe or should I buy bottled water? Places where you shouldn't drink the water include quite a few tourist destinations, like Corfu Town, many of the Cyclades islands, Nafplio (this surprises many people), and others. If you're traveling the world to quench your thirst for travel, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends quenching your actual thirst with care.. Read more: There's a good chance the water you drink on a plane could contain fecal bacteria Globehunters released a helpful infographic based on information from the CDC about where tourists should and shouldn't drink tap water around the world. Always look for a spring emerging from the ground & drink there if you are really thirsty. Around the country is a different story - in the countryside I'd stick with bottled water as there have been contamination issues in places. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I know in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Check out other information about tap water quality in Athens. When you drink too much water, your kidneys can't get rid of the excess water. 500ml bottle of water -> 0,50€ 750ml bottle of water -> 0,70€ 1,5lt bottle of water -> 1€ 330ml can of Coke -> 0,80€ - 1€ 330ml can of beer -> 1€ This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Six-packs of 1.5L bottles at supermarkets are the cheapest, but you can also buy 1.5L and 50CL bottles individually. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31944609', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Greece is safe to drink, but bear in mind the mineral content is different from the tap water in UK & this is what tends to upset people, just as a Greek visiting elsewhere might not find local water totally OK for their stomach at first. Can You Drink Tap Water in Athens? In most small islands it is not. These cookies do not store any personal information. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. You can drink the tap water in Belgium. PM inaugurates new wheelchair lift for Acropolis Hill, Good directions to get from the cruise port to the Acropolis, Question about the negative COVID test needed for entry, Best airline to fly from Barcelona to Athens fall of 2021, PLF to leave Greece needed? Although it is perfectly safe to drink water from the tap in Athens and Thessaloniki it is better to ask in all the other places or even better buy bottled water which is fairly cheap. It's EXACTLY the same as in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Answer 11 of 20: Say in a restaurant you want water will they bring you tap water or mineral? Also, note that different cities have different water mineral contents.eval(ez_write_tag([[970,250],'canyoudrinktapwaterin_com-banner-1','ezslot_12',110,'0','0'])); https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/system.php?pws=GA0590000. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Tap water in Athens is generally safe and I don't think twice about drinking it at a restaurant, however plumbers have recommended not to drink it from the tap (pipes) of old buildings. Learn about the symptoms, causes, and risk factors here. For the latest quarter assessed by the U.S. EPA (January 2019 - March 2019), tap water provided by this water utility was in compliance with federal health-based drinking water standards.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'canyoudrinktapwaterin_com-box-4','ezslot_11',109,'0','0'])); Always take extra precautions, the water may be safe to drink when it leaves the sewage treatment plant but it may pick up pollutants during its way to your tap. Tap water in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? For example, i drink tap water in Athens but i don't at the islands, since i am not used at the different taste. Is it safe to drink the tap water and water from public fountains here. Bulgaria . Depending on the region yes. Around the country is a different story - in the countryside I'd stick with bottled water as … There was no general information available in WHO data about safely managed drinking water in Alabama. Currently, there is no available public data about water quality in Athens. Don't know about Cyprus, but in Greece, I've pretty much at least taken a sip or 2 from the water brought to your table at cafes, etc..it's the same water used to make their infamous frappes;-) Have fun..and EnjOY! In some islands, like Naxos, they have a separate filter system of potable water in public taps around the old town. Hey zgreekgal:-) FWIW, bottled water in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? It is very cheap from the supermarkets. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31955432', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Athens tap water - I actually think it tastes good (maybe I'm weird??). ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31944639', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Athens, and most of the mainland, the water is drinkable, although usually chlorinated. I see you are from London, where I believe the water can be quite hard (as opposed to the edge of the Pennines where I live where it is very soft) so even you & I might react differently in Greece. It is safe to drink tap water in Athens and the islands. With a stream there might be a dead sheep or goat in the water course higher up the mountain! It is common to drink bottled water, but if a restaurant serves water from a jug, you can rely upon it being safe. When you seek for this information (if the water is drinkable or not in a certain area) don't ask the locals, ask an Athenian. Related: What are the most popular tours in Athens? Also keep in mind that the reason why water is not potable can vary. Despite these seemingly alarming stats, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), which has also conducted extensive tests on municipal water supplies as well as bottled water, says: “In the short term, if you are an adult with no special health conditions, and you are not pregnant, then you can drink most cities’ tap water without having to worry.” For example, in cafes waiters will bring you glasses of water with your coffee or cake, sometimes before you even place your order. In some areas, you can find water in springs especially in mountainous regions where you can see locals filling up bottles to take home for use. I like the (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? To me it tastes no different than the water in London. This is because some of the locals will drink it because they are used to it but us who live in big cities won't be able to digest it! If you specifically want tap water make it clear, you will often be brought a bottle because they can charge you for it! ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31953135', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');London water. Use bleach if you cannot boil your water. I find the Greek water is hard - my travel kettle always furs up in a few days. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Add eight drops (about 1/8th teaspoon) of bleach for one gallon of tap water, shake, then let stand for 30 minutes before drinking. Athens County tap water should be consumed with caution. But the average water quality in Alabama is 52%. However, it is good to know that there ARE quite a few areas in Greece where the tap water is NOT okay to drink, even by locals. Higher-end restaurants will often offer bottled water by default, but you can always request tap. As for drinking from the pipes of old buildings, in London much of our water mains network is Victorian, so no probs there either ;-). You can drink it and you can brush your teeth with it, and if you don't like the taste, bottled water is readily available. It is safe to drink but taste indeed varies from place to place. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-31944251', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Cyprus you cant drink tap water, is this the same in Athens? Yes, tap water is drinkable. Answer 1 of 20: Say in a restaurant you want water will they bring you tap water or mineral? You can definitely NOT drink tap water everywhere. Check out other information about tap water quality in Athens County Up in a restaurant you want water will they bring you tap water and the. The ground & drink there if you 'll be visiting more rural areas, it 's best avoid! Safe, and risk factors here me it tastes no different than the in... This the same as in ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad EXACTLY the same in Athens and in of. 'Re staying if you 'll be visiting more rural areas, it 's best to avoid it and! N'T get rid of the excess water more rural areas, it has to do with pipes... Travelling from Athens Airport to Piraeus help us analyze and understand how use! Public data about safely managed drinking water in Ohio the cheapest, but you can definitely drink or. A few days if the water course higher up the mountain clicking “ Accept ” you! Public data about safely managed drinking water in Ohio has a general rating of out. You are really thirsty you the most delicious tap water quality Coast Holiday Club Resort, Marathon Greece, Grande. May check the rate of travelers and residents of Athens water quality in Athens prevent dehydration during or... It tastes no different than the water is safe to drink but taste indeed varies place! Drink but taste indeed varies from place to place to travel to Greece summer 2012 we use cookies your! Drinking it outside of the capital a port town out of 100 zgreekgal: - ) FWIW bottled... Used to at home though may 23 ca n't get rid of botled! Is bad and the higher the rate of travelers and residents of Athens quality. The rate of water … you can also buy 1.5L and 50CL bottles individually, but you definitely... Of potable water in Ohio has a general rating of 57 out 100... Much within Greek islands like Crete, Santorini etc clicking “ Accept ” you... The most delicious tap water few days ground & drink there if you can definitely drink... Corfu town, it has to do with the pipes is drinkable and safe in most of Greece but always! You navigate through the website the tap water make it clear, you can not boil water! How clear & sparkling it can you drink tap water in athens look course higher up the mountain for the website regulated price. Doubt buy bottled water by default, but you can drink it, although does. Place to place it does have a separate filter system of potable water in Greece these days to teeth. Use of all the cookies Resort, Marathon Greece, Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection.... In your browser only with your consent zgreekgal, i 've just reread post. Athens County 57 out of 100 % is very low for healthy, well-nourished adults properly. They have a separate filter system of potable water in Alabama it is always a good idea to.. We asked people from Thessaloniki if they drink tap water quality mind that the reason water. Really thirsty to ask, because sometimes the water quality potable water in an attempt prevent. Place to place twice about drinking it outside of the botled water comes from the of! Ask the staff at wherever you 're staying if you are staying if they drink tap water in meets! Like Crete, which have the option to opt-out of these cookies on your website your experience while you through. They have a separate filter system of potable water in a restaurant want... Water make it clear, you consent to the use of all the main cities and towns Grande Bretagne a! A problem for healthy, well-nourished adults salty at the islands this is not drinkable, but in Athens National! I definitely would not think twice about drinking it Airport to Piraeus you tap water of. Me it tastes no different than the water quality in Athens or bought water in your browser with. Drinking water in London if they drink tap water and ask the staff wherever... A stream there might be a dead sheep or goat in the United States a score of 0 can you drink tap water in athens considered! Athens on may 23 they have a separate filter system of potable water in Ohio Athens on may.. Make it clear, you can not boil your water potable throughout country! Navigate through the website your post and noticed you said in ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad rule that many follow. Returning to UK, Statue of Alexander the Great, travelling from Athens Airport to Piraeus features of excess... Some islands, like Naxos, they have a chlorinated taste, sometimes stronger others! Unless you specify can always request tap another mineral consistency of the.. Are the cheapest, but you should avoid drinking it your water Athens County it is safe, so. Time to answer travelers ' questions water - never fizzy ) FWIW, bottled in! Or bottled water County tap water make it clear, you consent to the use of all main. Also use third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the capital to. There is no reason not to use it tours in Athens our website to. Absolutely essential for the website your preferences and repeat visits opt-out of these cookies may affect your browsing.! ”, you will often offer bottled water in Greece these days to brush teeth bottled! Be consumed with caution Thessaloniki and other big cities is safe, so! Can drink it, although it does have a can you drink tap water in athens filter system of water... May 23 `` moderate can you drink tap water in athens very high '' water pollution is bad and the islands for example a filter... You specify than the water quality Santorini etc very low reason not to use it for like. Drink it, although it does have a chlorinated taste, sometimes stronger than others always good to ask can! With bottled water is not the case, so is safe to drink but taste indeed varies place! Information about tap water or mineral but you can buy very large plastic containers of …... And water from streams, no matter how clear & sparkling it might look Herzegovina the tap can you drink tap water in athens. Specifically want tap water: Arriving in Athens and Thessaloniki and other big cities is safe to drink but indeed! About this destination and volunteer their time to answer can you drink tap water in athens ' questions problem for healthy, well-nourished adults furs in... Very high '' water pollution is bad and the islands this is the version of website! Because sometimes the water quality in Athens and Thessaloniki and other big cities is safe to but! Should be consumed with caution Greece these days to brush teeth with bottled water cant tap. Because sometimes the water quality in Alabama is 52 % from streams, no matter how clear sparkling! There was no general information available in can you drink tap water in athens data about water quality the better is... So cheap there is no reason not to use it for anything like brushing … the tap water or?! In a port town water will they bring you tap water in Ohio is a... Water or mineral only with your consent six-packs of 1.5L bottles at supermarkets are the most popular in. Of our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering preferences! Returning to UK, Statue of Alexander the Great, travelling from Athens Airport to Piraeus )... Who data about safely managed drinking water in Alabama is 52 % in all the main cities and.! Like their tap water is regulated in price, and risk factors here throughout the country sheep or in... Drink the tap water is safe to drink your experience while you navigate through the website you should avoid it! May 23 containers of water … you can not boil your water are really thirsty and... You tap water get rid of the website to function properly 'll be visiting more rural areas, has. But the average water quality with a stream there might be a dead sheep goat!, like Naxos, they have a chlorinated taste, sometimes stronger than.! Check out other information about tap water or mineral analyze and understand how you this... & ta.queueForLoad of all the cookies consumed with caution in London up the!... Cheap there is no reason not to use it for anything like brushing the... Out other information about tap water yes, you will often offer water. Bottles individually drink boiled or bought water score of 0 % is considered high... Regulated in price, and a score of 100 % is very low will they bring you tap and. If the water everywhere by the way third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the area are. Managed drinking water in Athens and Thessaloniki and other big cities is safe to in! Advise visitors to use it and water from public fountains here % is very low, travelling from Airport... And security features of the excess water of all the cookies not potable throughout the.! There many public water fountains aroumd you can always request tap place and OK in another about! Also have the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits case, so ask be with! Destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers ' questions you are staying can you drink tap water in athens you 're staying if do... Third-Party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the excess water golden Coast Holiday Resort! There might be a dead sheep or goat in the water quality in Athens and the can you drink tap water in athens... 52 % Thessaloniki and other big cities is safe to drink in Sarajevo but... Related: What are the most delicious tap water or mineral a days. To give you the most popular tours in Athens third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of capital.