1) Is your Hydrangea in the bright afternoon sun by any chance? I would wait a bit to fertilize. However, you can take steps to keep your plants from becoming infected: Have you encountered a disease on your hydrangea? In some cases, plant parasitic nematodes can transmit the viruses. Not all the leaves have black spots in the middle of them though. I have ordered up some Flairform Pythoff to enable me to treat all shrubs nearby. This post was very informative. Ray Rowell, the father of horticulture in Australia, suggested that the oak leaf hydrangeas were best left unpruned except for the removal of the spent flowers. The most common symptom you will see on your hydrangea is a leaf spot disease, commonly referred to as foliar symptoms. The leaves are all green and pretty healthy. Hi Helga, I’m so sorry. See our TOS for more details. Is that correct? The director of UT Gardens Sue Hamilton discusses oak leaf hydrangea. Q: I have lost three good-sized oak leaf hydrangeas that were in dappled sun but a fairly wet spot. Hydrangeas are woody shrubs with bright beautiful heads of flowers. Anthracnose is a very common fungal disease in other plants, too. I planted it with compost, peat and bone meal mixed in … However, it could possibly be downy mildew. The plant grows in sun or shade and prefers a rich, moist soil. Family Hydrangeaceae . I think it’s an insect – the dreaded mealybug. It could be the conditions of your house. For more information see the file on Controlling Fungal Disease, How To Remove Black Bugs From Alice Oak Leaf Hydrangea, Oak Leaf Hydrangea Leaves Are Turning Red And Droopy, Oak Leaf Hydrangea Flowers Have Dried Up And Leaves Have Wilted, Hydrangea In Mostly Shade Does Not Grow And Leaves Turn Brown, Oak Leaf Hydrangea Has Not Leafed Out By June, Hydrangea Leaves Are Lighter And Seem A Bit Wilted, Oakleaf Hydrangea Has Shoots Coming Up From Around The Plant, New Growth And Some Leaves Of Oakleaf Hydrangea Are Chewed. You should also prune back the infected parts of the leaves and flowers. Hi Helga, my hydrangea Nikko has these abnormal spots on them. They can be very difficult to get rid of. Here’s a list of a few common Hydrangea difficulties and what you can do about them. If you have a persistent problem, you may need to use fungicides. Oakleaf hydrangeas are susceptible to several viruses, including hydrangea ringspot virus, which is caused by using contaminated pruning or cutting tools … Oakleaf Hydrangeas. However, that usually manifests as spots in the middle of the leaves rather than causing dead tissue around the edges of the leaves. Stem nematodes cause hydrangea stems to become swollen and split. I have some doubts about using hydrogen peroxide to treat anthracnose. The others are blooming normally. But my troubles currently are with my oak leaf hydrangeas not my mop heads or even paniculatas! Hi MCooke, I’m sorry to hear about your problems with the hydrangea. Two-spotted spider mites cause damage on hydrangeas resembling sunscald. Mulch shrubs to prevent rain from splashing fungal spores up onto leaves. Reaching heights between 6 and 8 feet tall with an approximately equal spread, it produces large, oak-like, dark-green leaves and cone-shaped clusters of flowers. We have heavy shade and heavy soil in our yard, and hot summers here in Columbia, SC. Does it make sense to use the fungicide on the hydrangeas that are planted close to the ailing ones or will it hurt them? It’s a good idea to rotate… Read more ». We bought these Hydrangeas few weeks ago, transplanted them and a week ago or so, they started to look bad. Spray the shrubs in the early morning with a forceful water spray to knock the mites from the leaf undersides. Fascinated by the childhood discovery that plants make chemicals to defend themselves, Helga embarked on further academic study and obtained two degrees, studying plant diseases as a plant pathology major. This is the time of year… Read more ». This turns purple, orange, and red by the time September and October roll around. Insect and Disease Resistant: Oakleaf hydrangeas are nearly problem free from disease and pests. I’m so sorry to hear that. Hi DLyn! Lesions may coalesce into necrotic areas and necrosis may develop on the leaf margins and near the petioles. Positive: On Jul 26, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote: Thank you for the words of encouragement. Cold - Oakleaf hydrangeas are hardy to Zone 5 but its bloom hardiness may go south before reaching that zone. This is a leaf-spot fungus that develops in rainy periods or when hydrangeas … Unfortunately, if your hydrangea contracts this disease, you will have to purge it. The leaves that are misshapen make me think that the problem might be a virus. Disinfect your pruning shears with 70% rubbing alcohol or 10% bleach. Is that the type you have? Phyllis P. Hi Phyllis, I’m so sorry that your hydrangeas are suffering. Zone 6b Pennsylvania. Would it be possible to post pictures? Here are Amanda’s photos of her hydrangeas: Your poor plants! It starts out with lesions that are angular shaped and dark brown to purple, and it also starts from the bottom of the plant. You can see white, cottony growth on the bottom of the leaves. Out of Stock. That is wonderful news! I have an educated guess, but I can’t be sure whether this is the culprit or not. Repeat the water spray daily for 3 days. Hi Helga, I don’t know… Read more », Hi DLyn, Welcome back! Are there any circular lesions on the leaves? Thank you for providing pictures! The problem is caused by a fungus that spreads via spores in wet or humid conditions. That combination makes me think that it might be an insect known as oyster shell scale. I’m not positive, but the symptoms make me think that your hydrangea might have Botrytis blight. Dear Ryan, I’m so sorry that your hydrangeas are showing such horrible symptoms. Does that look like what you are seeing? That is definitely the right thing to… Read more », Thank you so much for this wonderfully specific and helpful information. This year I took a lot of the deadwood off early in spring. Look at the base of the plant and see if there is a canker there. I forgot to add that I am growing the Hydrangea Paniculata Pillow Talk. If they are in pots, I would suggest moving them to a less sunny spot, but that’s not feasible if they are in the ground. I think you are right that it is due to a fungus. Oak Leaf-purple-reddish leaves dispersed throughout plant at a rate of about one per… Read more ». Their matte green leaves are coarsely textured and deeply lobed, and in fall they turn red and purple. Other common names oak-leaved hydrangea . The leaves have this odd deformed and curly appearance. They were green and blossoming at the end of May. Good luck, and let us know if you get rid of them. Leaf Margins Burned May Mean MitesMites are about 1/50 inch long, barely visible to the unaided eye. Hi Monica, I’m sorry your hydrangea is under siege. Hi Helga, many thanks for getting back to me. There is another article on the site about Phytophthora on fruit trees, but it might give some useful background: How to Identify, Prevent, and Treat Collar and Crown Rot in Fruit Trees. Symptoms of Alternaria leaf spot include spots on the upper side of the leavessurrounded by a chlorotic halo(Fig. We had a wet spring....the oak leaf's seem to be green and growing, but no flowers. I have attached pictures of both. You can take steps to try and prevent this infection. I get them with the leaves curled and crunchy, some varieties more then others. For growing the oak leaf hydrangeas from seed I used a pair of 1020 flats (Bootstrap Farmer. My ydrangea is starting to bloom in some places, but on other branches it is all dead with a dark brown leaf. Also collect any fallen leaves or plant debris and get rid of those also. Could this have caused the decline? Thanks so much in advance for your help! We also have a ruby red slippers hydrangea and that one is blooming fine with no problems or spots. In case it is anthracnose, what is best to buy to prevent it in the future? To fix the situation, thoroughly mix a bag of soil conditioner into each spot where you plant another hydrangea. Your poor plants! If you planted your hydrangea correctly, you should find that growing oakleaf hydrangeas is not difficult. I take off the bad leaves, but throughout the growing season they keep getting ugly leaves. It looks like the plant has powdery mildew. Increase air circulation around the your hydrangeas and, if possible, avoid overhead watering which dampens their leaves and blossoms.Leaf Undersides Covered With White Powder Is Powdery MildewPowdery mildew is caused by a fungus which covers undersides of hydrangea leaves with a whitish coating. No serious insect or disease problems. Thanks for your help. Be sure to disinfect your pruning shears to be safe with 70% hydrogen peroxide or 10% bleach. The 1st blooming in early June is always gorgeous! We have had an ongoing problem with dieback on certain plants in our yard for years. The leaves are pretty uniformly discolored. Two of my hydrangeas are dying. The flowers become spotted, and the spots coalesce into soggy blotches. However, you can try a different fungicide to see if the new growth will be enough to save them. We had a Wonderful display of flowers and vigorous growth. Most are soil-dwellers, less than 1/20 inch long, and are invisible to the naked eye. Thanks! I recently purchased two Oakleaf hydrangeas from a local nursery. Thank you so much Helga! They have been there for seven years. Feed: Miracle-Gro. Something is definitely eating the leaves. Hydrangeas (Hydrangea spp.) Any ideas? I would suggest you check with your local extension agent. Have you been through a drought lately? Not every fungicide will work on every fungus. Read more about identifying and treating anthracnose on hydrangea here. (And disinfect your pruning shears or flower-cutting knives whenever you use them!). It sounds like you want to use a natural treatment. Fungicides are available to control it, including paraffinic oil, axozystrobin (Syngenta Mural Fungicide Azoxystrobin Benzovindiflupyr, and thiophanate-methyl, Cleary’s 3336 Turf & Ornamental Fungicide Southern Ag Thiomyl Systemic Fungicide). Some experts think that too much fertilizer can increase the susceptibility to the fungus. They decline slowly and die. You should pick up any leaves and vegetation under the plant and get rid of it away from your garden, so it won’t spread spores. Thank you Helga. Can you give me some reason why no more blooms are not forming? Do you mist it? Thank you! Gatsby Gal® Hydrangea Out of Stock As low as $29.99. They are turning black around the edges and have some black spots in the middle. You can also treat this disease with liquid kelp, garlic oil, hydrogen peroxide, or compost tea. This year, I have been doing the same about once a week, but now I’m also noticing browning around the edges of leaves. The bacteria that cause this disease can enter the plant through natural openings like stomata or through wounds. A light pruning in late winter or spring to start the oak-leaf hydrangea's reshaping may be the ... for oak-leaf hydrangeas. Hi Pam, I’m so glad that you found the article useful! However by that time they already got some leaf and bud damage, so they… Read more », Hi Jiyu! What do you think? Actually I did try to move my damaged hydrangeas outside one day in the balcony when it was nice and sunny but the tiny new leafs soon got sunburned, the leafs became pale and quickly died. i would strongly suggest buying a commercial fungicide. You are right – hydrangeas do like partial shade, and your spot inside sounds like a good one for it. I would also prune off all of the infected leaves. I don’t think it’s a fungus. Oakleaf hydrangea information tells you that the plants can grow 10 feet (3 m.) tall with an 8 … I’m not sure it is the same disease in all the plants, but it acts the same. I’m so happy to hear it, and I’m glad that they are a pleasure for you now instead of a stressor. It’s been a very wet spring. These native shrubs are virtually disease and pest free and, once established, are drought tolerant. Viruses can also cause leaves to be distorted. We will introduce you to the major hydrangea diseases, so you know what to look for and how to prevent and treat them. I have fertilized it couple of weeks ago. It might not be anything that you did wrong. It’s always the ones I have in pots. There have been some problems with resistance, so it’s a great idea to try a systemic fungicide. I can’t find recommendations for a particular fungicide for this pathogen. That would make it easier to diagnose them. Thank you for posting a picture! I haven’t read about neem oil being used to treat anthracnose on hydrangeas, but it can be a great fungicide. When the rainy time ceases, new growth shouldn’t have the spots. There are a number of different organisms that can infect hydrangea plants and sully their beauty. I don’t want to lose this plant that I hope to be a beautiful addition to my back yard. I’m so sorry that your hydrangeas are having such a variety of problems. Hi Nancy, I’m sorry to hear that. One possibility is that they are getting sunburned. I can’t figure out what type of insect it could be, though. Hi Japjeet, I’m sorry to hear that. But typically it… Read more ». Your local hardware store or… Read more », Hi Helga… I applied mancozed per instructions but I haven’t been able to control the disease. We have two limelight hydrangea trees that are three years old. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Single blossom varieties include ‘Snow Queen,’ ‘Alice,’ and the dwarf-sized ‘PeeWee.’ There are several forms from which to choose, each with its own peccadilloes and problems. Dear Ruth, In the Autumn (Fall) we pruned the branches back by 2/3rds. Dear Julie, I can’t be sure, but one possibility is that the flowers later in the season are reacting to the hot midday to afternoon sun. Hi Julie, I’m sorry that your summer blooms look so ugly. I’m not an expert on azaleas, but my guess would be that it is Cercospora leaf blight (caused by a fungus, too). They look wonderful! Let us know how it’s doing in a week or two, and I hope it will be a good status report! Also, I was using Neem Oil mixed with water and dish soap mix every 7 to 10 days for preventive. Q: I have some oak leaf hydrangeas that show no signs of blooms yet. Prune out and destroy any affected branches and spray healthy plant parts with garden sulfur at weekly intervals until the symptoms disappear. Please write back and let us know what the cause is if you do get a diagnosis for it. I just pruned more leaves and feel defeated. To control these pests, add lots of compost or leaf mold, if it is available, to the soil around the hydrangea plants to encourage beneficial fungi that attack nematodes. That looks heartbreaking, too. Thanks, Hi Roger, I am delighted that you like the website. They have piercing-sucking mouthparts. And thank you for providing pictures! (Quercifolia means "oakleaf" in Latin).This shrub is prized for its long-lasting flowers that emerge white but gradually transition to purplish pink. It’s only on the macrophyllas I notice it. Which spray have… Read more ». Anyway here is a photo of what we are now seeing. Have browning leaves and flowers turn brown also, Hi Tina, Without a photo, I can only guess. Aff.) Thank you. If this diagnosis is is correct, what shall I do next? French hydrangeas may be water hogs, but extended periods of wet weather can cause them big problems. Is there anything I can do for the plant? They are borne on stiff, upright, hairy stems which occasionally branch. They were doing fine at the beginning,… Read more », Hi Jiyu, I’m so sorry to see the pictures of your poor plants. However, a cool rainy spring would definitely be a problem. The new leaves look green and wrinkled, so I thought that it might be a fungus. It looks to me like it might be the deformed growth that you can get from anthracnose on your hydrangeas. Varieties that are tolerant to this virus are available. It definitely isn’t powdery mildew. That could by Botrytis, a fungus that attacks both the flowers and leaves. Also, the stems look like they have bumps on them. The first symptoms are water-soaked spots. Hopefully you can save them, and please keep us posted! Thank you for providing pictures. I planted two limelight hydrangeas last year, and last year they developed the same lesions. It is week three of treating my hydrangeas for the fungi and the treatment is working. However, more severe infestations can cause both wilting and root rot. It’s a pretty nasty disease. I don’t understand. It’s not responding to any of the fungicides I try, I can’t seem to get them to upload, or delete the comments that uploaded without the pics. Not all jaw pain and TMJ problems are due to arthritis. Oakleaf hydrangea has 8 to 12-inch-long leaves shaped like oak leaves (Fig. However, it spreads mechanically, so tools can transmit this virus. Had to heavily prune the other day. Our borders grow shrubs vigorously so we tend to plant in pots. Is this a viral disease, I wonder? The disease overwinters on old plant parts. The other is struggling to push out new buds and looks like the other did 4 weeks ago- bare with small leaf buds. COPYRIGHT © 2020 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Almost looked like mini grapes. Oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia) in particular has a strong autumn color display, with leaves turning red and purple. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. I’ve had another grower say “they just don’t like being potted” but I’m not sure if it’s another reason. That can also cause spots on the leaves, so I don’t think you have to worry that it might have two diseases at once. Hi, Helga! I suspect that you are right about frost damage. I also realized this a.m. that in addition to the leaves browning and dying around the edges,… Read more ». Transmission can occur by knives, leaf contact, and insects like aphids. Can you describe the fungus or post a picture of it? Alternaria leaf spot is a problem of . If you don’t see any improvement, I would suggest switching to another fungicide. Also, most treatments will take longer than two days to start kicking in, so don’t give up yet. Have you seen any of them on your plant? It's no wonder that oak leaf hydrangeas are becoming a favorite choice of gardeners everywhere. Fertilizer burn is an excellent suggestion, but the symptoms from that usually develop on the edges of the leaves. I can’t find a lot of pictures of the symptoms, but here is a photo from the University of Minnesota Extension – it’s number 3 here. Now that she lives near Santa Barbara, California, she is delighted that many of these grow right outside! Yesterday, I was shocked to find that my pride and joy seems to have (tentatively diagnosed using your site) a case of Anthracnose (?) 4 to 6 feet high and wide; upright and irregular form at maturity. Treating them with mancozeb should help protect them from the spread of anthracnose. Not sure if I really have a green thumb. Aphids and spider mites are occasional visitors. However, the fungus quickly evolves resistance to fungicides, so it’s a battle to stay one step ahead. Thank you for your response and suggestions. Hydrangea macrophylla is the most susceptible. I hope you are enjoying the summer. Two days later I started noticing some browning on some of the leaves. Hi there Dr. Helga! Fertilized on March 31. Also did a little bit of pruning. Not sure if I did not give it enough water, but there are spots on the leaves. Or are they crinkled? I hope you can offer some advice concerning my hydrangeas. The nursery is not very willing to work with me. Use it late in the afternoon to avoid harming beneficial insects and honeybees that may be in the area. types of oak leaf hydrangeashow to types of oak leaf hydrangeas for . It is only this plant that has this condition. See more ideas about hydrangea diseases, hydrangea, planting hydrangeas. Thank you! Hi Aine, Your poor plant! If the roots look brittle and mushy,… Read more ». Does that fit the symptoms? I normally take off any bad foliage and pick up any in the pot but eventually it always comes back. Hi Roger, Thanks for the status report! One has holes in it and the other does not. Thank you so much for letting us know and posting pictures of the new growth! Designated the state wildflower in Alabama, these shrubs are grown in New York's Central Park and numerous other major metropolitan city parks for their splendid combination of flower and foliage. You should probably apply a… Read more ». If they are purple, that could be Cercospora leaf blight. For minor infestations, crush the larvae in their rolled hideouts. I was afraid that might be what has been going on. My hydrangea leaves are getting folded and looks different in colour. And disinfect your pruning shears with 70% alcohol afterwards. There is a fungus called Nectria that causes cankers on trees and shrubs. As the season goes on I’ll try to get more pictures. I don’t know of any pathogens of hydrangea that would cause the total death of limbs in weeks. It’s anthracnose. One of my hydrangeas have just started blooming but the little flower heads have turned black and are drying up. Helga! There are no grey mildew and there are no circular lesions on the leaves. Some hydrangeas show red leaf color in fall. It looks like the rain and humid weather unleashed an attack of fungi on them. We have a company coming to treat around the plant and hopefully save it! Hi Joel, I’m so sorry about your hydrangeas. The large dark green leaves resemble oak leaves, in fall they change to a deep burgundy or red fall color. So, I’ve been involved in some indoor projects recently, and hadn’t been out paying much attention to my hydrangeas as they were coming back to life. Thank you for your answer. Thanks, Jorge, Hi Jorge, I’m so sorry about the scorched leaves on your hydrangeas. Botrytis Blight Oakleaf hydrangeas come in two forms – single blossom and double blossom. P.S. If you provide a leaf, they might be able to help diagnose what organism is responsible. They may be yellow, green, red or brown. Refine by No filters applied Browse by & Hide Filters Show Filters Sort By: Out of Stock. The Next, try an insecticidal soap or oil. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to diagnose from a picture because several pathogens produce spots that look similar. Often it isn’t noticed until the spring. You should probably use… Read more ». It can be difficult to diagnose leaf diseases. Infested plants look sickly, wilted, stunted, and have yellowed or bronzed foliage. Did the other spray help at all? The first symptoms are water-soaked spots on the flowers. Then the leaves of the plant will start to be distorted and rolled, and the growth of the plant will be stunted. However, to be sure that it is Verticillium and not something else,… Read more », A million thanks, Helga! I have hydrangea that I planted a year ago and they came back, however some leaves have a yellow discoloration. Try that and see if it works. Often fungicides only kill certain types of fungi, and it’s also possible that the infection could be bacterial or viral, so it is important to figure out which organism is killing your hydrangeas. Hi Ann, Thank you for providing that information! You could start with neem oil, which is readily available. I would suggest that you switch to another type of fungicide with a different mode of action. May 30, 2017 - Explore sue andrepont's board "Hydrangea Disease" on Pinterest. The white hydrangeas- Limelight, Little Lime, hydrangea paniculata, Annabelle-and the strikingly foliaged oak leaf hydrangea- they prosper in my zone. I am happy to provide more details. Would it be possible to post a picture? I have a couple of shirobana gaku ajisai that are being hit really hard with what looks like Anthracnose and some kind of leaf curl. Oakleaf hydrangea is a coarse-textured native shrub that works well as an understory planting under larger trees like live oaks. They’re woody shrubs that are pretty at all seasons. Many different fungicides would work against this pathogen. I would give the fungicides more time to work. If so, now is the time to treat them.… Read more », Hi Helga, I posted last month about my endless summer hydrangeas possibly having anthracnose. Depending on the variety, the oak-like leaves can grow up to 12 inches wide. If you can’t get it locally, Arbico Organics carries it. You can prevent the disease by reducing humidity and increasing air circulation. The symptoms look like those of a fungal pathogen, so I think you are on the right track to spray with a fungicide. Thanks so much! If possible, plant them where the direct sun will be in the morning, or late afternoon and evening. Sterilize your pruning shears before cutting the plants, and plant clean stock in soilless media to avoid the viruses that are transmitted by nematodes in the soil. Hi Angela! I will attach some pictures. 5). They should be able to help you. Will it go away by itself? I’m sorry that the mancozeb didn’t work. … They spots appear to have a hint of red and they start from the leaf tips. We have 4 hydrangeas that have done well for 10+ years. petiolaris . All normally come with the leaves like that. Be sure to disinfect your pruning shears using 10% bleach or 70% rubbing alcohol. (not sure of variety): Last spring stems became leggy and foliage discolored. Hydrangeas are fairly easy plants to grow in many regions. Hello Helga! Thank you for this article, as it is hard to find information related to ALL of the diseases that affect hydrangeas. It still looks like anthracnose to me, although there is another possibility. Have you fertilized them recently? Today I had to clip the leaves off by 50%. Fortunately, both diseases can be treated by the same fungicides: Chlorothalonil Thiophanate methyl Mycyclobutanil Sanitation can also help if… Read more ». I really am delighted that your hydrangeas are coming back. Options include mancozeb, iprodione, or thiophanate-methyl. The flowers turned brown and the leaves have holes in them. Sulfur and copper can both act as fungicides and are effective against anthracnose on hydrangeas (except that you shouldn’t use the copper if it will be cool and moist). Hi Rosemary, I’m so sorry to hear that. However, they got frost damage last winter from a freezing night because I forgot to bring them inside. Are they in full sun, or do they get… Read more ». I also have two hydrangeas that I planted from pots a week ago. Do you have the tree on stones in a tray that you can keep wet? What remains doesn’t look like powdery mildew to me. Pruning Oakleaf Hydrangeas. Hi, I live in south of UK with a small garden. I’m sorry it’s not better. We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. The damage to the leaves and that fact that it affects the flowers, too, makes me think that. COMMON HYDRANGEA LEAF PROBLEMS TO LOOK OUT FOR Aphids and whiteflies do a comparative thing by eliminating sap from the hydrangea tissue which makes the leaves turn yellow, twist up, and tumble off rashly. I will look for something different and perhaps stronger. It’s difficult to diagnose without seeing it. You are the best. Powdery mildew manifests as a white powdery substance on the surface of the leaves. Hi! But wherever you live, how do you prune them? Can you help? The first year, I didn’t really know what it was and I moved in toward the end of summer, so I didn’t touch it. Powdery mildew can cause problems for bigleaf hydrangeas that are planted in shaded high humidity areas. Apr 15, 2020 - Explore Barbara Jaynes's board "Oakleaf Hydrangea" on Pinterest. It would help me to figure out what the cause is. Hydrangea macrophylla and H. anomala. Black spots on hydrangea leaves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I’m glad that it wasn’t anthracnose. Oak-leaved hydrangea is a southeastern native shrub for all seasons.