Plants Poisonous to Rabbits by Cindy Fisher How to use this list: Many plants listed here are not all poisonous, only parts of them are. This chart is a list of the most commonly-known poisonous plants and flowers to avoid while selecting edible flowers. Wish I could remember where I found it so I could give credit. 19. My rabbits will eat anything depending on the climate. Lobelia cardinalis has a very wide geographic range, even extending out west to Southern AZ and CA. Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica) is a beautiful late-summer perennial native to eastern North America. I also have one with purple flowers). ), Nephthytis (Syngonium podophyllum albolinea-tum)-oxalates, Needlepoint ivy (Hedera helix Needlepoint)-all parts, Nicotiana (Nicotiana)-wild, cultivated leaves, Night-blooming jessamine (Cestrum nocturnum), Nightshade (Solanum carolinense)-all parts, esp. SusanLouise. If no parts are listed, assume that the whole plant… We have a lot of rabbits around and wonder if it is that or maybe our dog. Toxic Principles: Lobeline Clinical Signs: Depression, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, heart rhythm disturbances. In this list, plants marked in red are considered highly toxic and may be fatal. Follow. There are many plants and foods that are toxic to rabbits or extremely unhealthy to the point of where they just shouldn’t be offered. 2 Answers. Large doses of lobelia may cause serious toxic effects including sweating, convulsions, fast heartbeat, very low blood pressure, coma, and possibly death. This is an extensive list of toxic plants to rabbits but should not be considered as a complete list. Are they safe or not for domestic as they are abundant at this time of year and was wondering would be ok in small amounts or not ? )-leaves, Henbane, Black (Hyoscyamus niger)-all parts, Holly (Ilex aquifolium, opaca, vomitoria)-leaves, berries, Horse nettle (Solanum carolinense)-all parts, esp. If you suspect rabbit poisoning, stay calm and safely remove the source of poison, before calling your vet. Width: 0 ft. 4 in. In addition, rabbits can also recycle poison and toxic compounds through their digestive systems because they're caecotrophic. sap, Tullidora (Karwinskia humboldtiana)-berries, Turpentine weed (Gutierrezia microcephala), Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia)-sap, Warneckei dracaena (Dracaena dermensis warneckei), Water hemlock (Cicuta maculata)-all parts, esp. Here's a copy of it. Featured Answer. Cute as they are, rabbits can do a lot of damage in the garden. If your pet has eaten anything they shouldn’t have, or you’re worried about them at all, it’s best to get in touch with your vet straight away. Because of its eye-catching blue flowers, lobelia has enjoyed relative popularity amongst gardeners across the world. There are many cases of pet bunnies being poisoned (and dying) after eating them, especially the bulb part. Not every poisonous plant is deadly, as many have various levels of toxicity causing different effects. This list contains plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract. Title: Adonis-arter (Adonis) Author: Milla Created Date: 1/20/2011 11:36:57 PM See below Description. Please don’t feed your rabbit plants you are not absolutely sure are safe. A. 3,728. 8 years ago. Stevenindy . But lobelia is especially dangerous for people with the following conditions: Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking lobelia is LIKELY UNSAFE. If it says "unverified" then we have only had one/two sources indicate that they fed their rabbits it. It has fine stems and deep green leaves, which are toothed and roughly oval. Email Save Comment 63. In the wild, they would learn what foods are safe and which ones are not from other older rabbits. Lobelia has been used for a long time in herbal medicines. Many plants listed here are not all poisonous, only parts of them are. Rabbit Guide A simple guide to caring for pet rabbits; A to Z A library of rabbit information from A to Z ... Rabbits do not have an instinct for what plants are safe to eat and which aren't. In the wild they would learn which plants were safe to eat from their elders. Which trees, shrubs, flowers, wild plants are safe for rabbits and which are poisonous. )-foliage, twigs, berries. Feel a bit upset now that I have somewhat wasted money on the other brands and should have found Rabbit Hole sooner. The list of toxic plants is extensive and this list, while large, does not cover every toxic plant. Last year I had to fence in my cardinal climbers because of these rascals. In the 19th century, American physicians used lobelia to provoke vomiting as a means of removing toxins from the body. Apple is a good example: the seeds are poisonous, but the fruit is perfectly fine for rabbits. If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance, call the APCC at (888) 426-4435 or contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible. If you allow your rabbit an outdoor run, please clear the area of leaves as the rabbit may find them very tasty, but they are very dangerous!! Note that day lilies may be toxic to rabbits. Agave (leaves) Almond . Coleus Snapdragons Ageratum Geraniums Salvia Dianthus Dusty miller. Any animal ingesting the unripe berries is at risk, and lantana foliage can be poisonous to livestock, including cattle, sheep, goats, guinea pigs and rabbits. In this list, plants marked in red are considered highly toxic and may be fatal. POISONOUS PRINCIPLE: Toxins are pyridine alkaloids, especially lobeline. Which plants are poisonous for rabbits? However, our pets don’t have that advantage. Cheers. leaves, Cloak fern (Notholaena sinuata var cochisensis), Colorado rubberweed (Hymenoxys richardsonii), Coral berry (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus)-seeds, Coral plant (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus)-seeds, Corn lily (Symplocarpus foetidus)-all parts, Corn plant (Dracaena fragrans massangeana), Covotillo (Karwinskia humboldtiana)-berries, Crab’s eye (Abrus precatorius)-seeds are fatal, Creeping charlie, except houseplant (Glecoma, Nepeta hederacea), Cress/Crucifers/Mustards (Cruciferae-Brassica Raphanus, Descurainia spp. A top performer that is perfect for the late summer garden, Lobelia cardinalis 'Queen Victoria' (Cardinal Flower) is a popular, upright, clump-forming perennial boasting a profusion of flower spikes densely packed with fiery scarlet, two-lipped blossoms from midsummer to early fall. Answer Save. Rabbits are inquisitive. Too much can be toxic. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. wild rabbits eat them at this time of year. This means that ingestion of the plant can be the cause of serious consequences which may be fatal. Just took it off the list. complete list of all poisonous plants and is only intended as a guide. It attracts several bee species, including digger, yellow-faced, green sweat, small carpenter, and bumble bees. Calendula???? I love it. Its on so many safe lists so can you please explain why you consider it unsafe? Your Rabbit’s Guide to Safe and Dangerous Plants to Eat. It has fine stems and deep green leaves, which are toothed and roughly oval. Lobelia erinus doesn’t like dammed-up water at all. Answered by Nikki on April 17, 2012 Certified Expert . Poisonous Plants for Goats. I do feed Calendula flowers all the time to my rabbits. Yogurt drops (Almost pure sugar--can kill your rabbit!) Signs of Poisoning Signs that your rabbit may have ingested a toxic or unhealthy herb include intestinal upset and inflammation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, fever or low body temperature, seizures, lethargy, weakness and depression. Poisonous plants. Please list the poisonous plants AND TREES that are poisonous to rabbits, i need to know what certain types of plants i cant feed them. Too much can be toxic. ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435 . Cardinal flower (Lobelia) is a large genus of perennials, aquatics, shrubs and annual plants, many with a natural resistant to rabbits. Tyler asserts that lobelia is toxic in strong terms (“the ratio of risk to benefit is very high”) in his Herbs of Choice (Tyler 1994), providing, however, no details of fatal dose, and referencing only his earlier Honest Herbal (Tyler, 1993). Rabbits are inquisitive. Apple is a good example: the seeds are poisonous, but the fruit is perfectly fine for rabbits. Lobelia has anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. If anyone knows where this is on the web, feel free to post a link to it. ), Cutleaf philodendron (Monstera deliciosa), Daphne (Daphne mezereum)-berries are fatal, Datura (Brugmansia, all species)-all parts, Deadly nightshade (Solanum nigrum)-all parts, unripe fruit, foliage, Death-camas (Sygodenus venesii, Zygadenus nuttallii)-all parts poisonous, roots fatal, Destroying angel (Amanita phalloides)-all parts, Devil’s ivy (Scindapsus aureus, Epipremnum aureum), Devil’s tomato (Solanum eleagnifolium)-all parts, Dieffenbachia (Dieffenbachia)-all parts, esp. kernels of fruit, Yellow star thistle (Centaurea solstitialis), Yew ( Taxus spp. Many plants listed here are not all poisonous, only parts of them are. Aloe . The vast majority of ornamental plants that you have at home are toxic for rabbits. first published on Apr 19, 2010 by bunnyhugga. perennial herb found in the eastern half of the United States and parts of Canada )-all parts poisonous, root deadly, False parsley (Conium maculatum)-all parts are fatal, Fiddleneck (Amsinckia intermedia)-fruit, bark, Fireweed (Amsinckia intermedia)-fruit, bark, Fly agaric (Amanita muscaria)-whole plant, Fool’s parsley (Conium maculatum)-all parts are fatal, Four o’clock (Mirabilis jalapa)-whole plant, Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)-all parts can be fatal, Frijolito (Sophora secundiflora)-all parts, Fruit salad plant (Philodendron pertusum), Geranium, California (Senecio petasitis)-whole plant, German ivy (Senecio mikanioides)-whole plant, Ghostweed (Euphorbia marginata)-all parts, Giant dumbcane (Dieffenbachia amoena)-all parts, esp. Apple is a good example: the seeds are poisonous, but the fruit is perfectly fine for rabbits. Some are toxic cause they contain poisonous elements, whilst others are not poisonous but cause gases. A plant not on this list does not mean that it is safe for a rabbit to consume. Typical symptoms include abdominal pain, depression, diarrhea, drooping ears, excessive salivation, heart rhythm disturbances, nasal discharge, vomiting . Thank you. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. 9,896. *, By providing my mobile number, I agree to receive periodic text messages from the ASPCA. CONFUSED TAXA: Lobelia cardinalis, a tall (I m) perennial of stream banks, produces red flowers in late summer. And while there are some plants rabbits do not particularly like, they will eat anything if they get hungry enough. A . Assume all houseplants are likely toxic, so keep them out of reach of your bunny. Lobelia inflata is a tall (to 1 m in moist ground, much less in dry habitats) annual, which produces pale blue to white flowers July through October, The hypanthium (calyxtube) is much inflated in fruit. Thank you! ... snow drop as they are very poisonous to rabbits. Underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company, Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Horses. - 0 ft. 6 in. Lobelia plants are on the list of toxic to cats and dogs so you need to be very careful, in fact, if it were me and I had a cat who liked munching, I would get rid of them. You don’t have the Latin name listed as poisonous but you do have Queen Anne’s Lace listed as such. * Also see the list of "Medicinal Herbs for Rabbits" page for information on uses and cautions for certain plants. Poisonous Plants. They seem to ignore Geraniums entirely until it begins to get really cold. Rabbits eat throughout the day and are happier and healthier when they have a variety of foods to eat. However, pet owners should be aware that the plant contains toxins which can … Your rabbit should be eating a diet made up of at least 75% hay. Thank you. Lobelia inflata was introduced into medical usage in North America by the herbalist Samuel Thomson in the early nineteenth century. ( Log Out /  Exclusive Subaru VIP offer for ASPCA Guardians & Founders. Thanks for all the hard work. Many members of the genus are considered poisonous, with some containing the toxic principle lobeline. Furthermore, lobelia is known to induce vomiting and can be poisonous — even fatal — in very high doses. Text STOP to opt-out, HELP for more info. Lobelia (Ban Bian Lian) Botanical Name: Dioscoreae Oppositae (D. polystachya and D. oppositifolia) Lobelia is a powerful herb. Things you shouldn't feed pet rabbits: Any grains . If no parts are listed, assume that the whole plant is poisonous and should not be in fed to your rabbit. The Lobelia is poisonous for both cats and dogs. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. trivial names: edging lobelia, garden lobelia, trailing lobelia Lobelia Petunias. Other "human treats" … ( Log Out /  10 Comments. Something has eaten almost all of my plants. I bought a "hardy" lobelia from a flower market and now wonder if its poisonous (it is a tall plant and produces red flowers. The right amount, however, treats chest pain, acute heart failure, tonsillitis, and even aids a difficult or painful birth. Have not had any problems with them. )-underground rhizome, leaves, Jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum)-all parts, Jamestown weed (Datura, Brugmansia stramomium)-all parts, Java bean (Phaseolus limensis)-uncooked bean, Jequirity bean (Abrus precatorius)-seeds are fatal, Jerusalem cherry (Solanium nigrum/eleagnifolium/ pseudocapsicum)-fruits, leaves, Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens)-flowers, leaves, berries fatal, Jessamine, Carolina (Gelsemium)-flowers, leaves, seeds, Jessamine, Night-blooming (Cestrum nocturnum), Jimmy fern (Notholaena sinuata var cochisensis), Jimson weed (Datura, Brugmansia stramomium)-all parts, Juniper (Juniperus)-needles, stems, berries, Lady slipper (Cypripedium spectabiles)-all parts, Lantana camara (Lantana camara)-green berries are fatal, Larkspur (Delphinium)-all parts, seeds may be fatal, Laurel, Cherry (Prunus caroliniana)-all parts are fatal, Ligustrum (Ligustrum ovalifolium)-all parts, Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis)-all parts, including water, Lima bean (Phaseolus limensis)-uncooked bean, Lords-and-ladies (Arum maculatum)-all parts, Madagascar dragon tree (Dracaena marginata), Mandrake (Podophyllum pellatum)-all parts, Marble queen (Scindapsus aureus)-oxalates, Mayapple (Podophyllum pellatum)-all parts, Mescal (Lophophora williamsii)-cactus tops, Mescal bean (Sophora secundiflora)-all parts, Mistletoe (Phoradendron flavescens)-berries are fatal, Moccasin flower (Cypripedium spectabiles)-all parts, Moonseed (Menispermum)-berries can be fatal, Morning glory (Ipomoea violacea)-all parts, Mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia)-young leaves, shoots are fatal, Mustards/Crucifers/Cress (Cruciferae-Brassica, Raphanus, Descurainia spp. Acokanthera (Acokanthera)-fruit, flowers very poisonous, Aconite (Aconitum)-all parts very poisonous, Amaryllis belladonna (Brunsvigia rosea)-bulbs, Angel trumpet tree (Datura, Brugmansia arborea)-flowers, leaves, seeds, Apple (Malus sylvestris)-seeds contain cyanide, Apricot (Prunus armeniaca)-pits contain cyanide, Arrowhead vine (Syngormon podophyllum)-oxalates, Atropa belladonna (Atropa belladonna)-all parts, esp. Steve, Your lobelia is safe from rabbits. fruits, leaves, Nightshade (Solanum eleagnifolium)-all parts, Oleander (Nerium oleander)-foliage, branches, nectar, Palma christi (Ricinus communis)-seeds are fatal, leaves, Parlor ivy (Philodendron elegans, Philodendron cordatum, Philodendron pertusum), Peach (Prunus persica)-pit contains cyanide, Pear (Pyrus communis)-seeds contains cyanide, Peyote (Lophophora williamsii)-cactus tops, Philodendron (Philodendron)-leaves, stem, sap, Philodendron, Cutleaf (Monstera deliciosa), Poinciana (Poinciana gillesii)-green seeds, pods, Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)-leaves, sap are fatal, flowers, Poison hemlock (Conium maculatum)-all parts are fatal, Poison oak (Rhus, Toxicodendron diversilobium)-all parts, Poison parsnip (Cicuta maculata)-all parts, esp. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. If you let your rabbit out in your garden, chances are it will try a nibble at most things... Rabbits do not have an instinct for what plants are safe to eat and which aren't. Others are less toxic but it’s still best to avoid them. Other plants can be mildly toxic and may cause local irritations of the skin and mucus membranes, or affect the digestive tract or nervous system. There are many plants and foods that are toxic to rabbits or extremely unhealthy to the point of where they just shouldn’t be offered. Lobelia poisoning occurs when your dog consumes parts of the lobelia plant and is exposed to lobeline, the plant’s toxic principle. Apr. )-leaves, flowers, sap, Evening trumpet (Gelsemium sempervirens)-whole plant, False hellebore (Veratrum viride and other sp. sap, Glacier ivy (Hedera helix Glacier)-all parts, Gold dust dracaena (Dracaena godseffiana), Goldenchain tree (Laburnum)-seeds, pods may be fatal, Green-gold nephythytis (Syngonium podophyllum xanthophilum), Heartleaf (Philodendron cordatum, Philodendron oxycardium), Heavenly bamboo (Nandina domestica)-leaves, Hellebore (Ranunculacea, Helleborus, Veratrum)-all parts, Hemlock (Conium, Cicuta, Tsuga)-all parts, Hemp, Indian (Cannabis sativa, Apocynum sp. Lobelia erinus is a trailing species with masses of purple or blue flowers. It is one of my favorite plants, and certainly my favorite native perennial--it blooms during the peak of hummer migration. I know they are poisonous to horses and a rabbit has a very similar digestive track..I have oak trees here on the homestead the only livestock that likes them is the pigs They are listed as poisonous to rabbits. Some rabbit food is sold with dried marigolds mixed into the dried orchard grass. Bookmark the permalink. This list is not necessarily comprehensive. Don’t trust your rabbit to decide for itself which plants are harmful. Some plants are more poisonous than others and so a small amount will cause severe signs. The right amount, however, treats chest pain, acute heart failure, tonsillitis, and even aids a difficult or painful birth. root, are fatal, Wild black cherry (Prunus serotina)-withered leaves, Woodbine (Parthenocissus quinquefolia)-sap, Woody nightshade (Celastrus, dulcamera)-berries, Yellow jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens)-whole plant, Yellow oleander-all parts, esp. and actual effort to produce a really good article… but what can It can be toxic in rather large amounts. Which plants are poisonous for rabbits? One leaf shouldn't kill your rabbit. It is the most common blue-flowered Lobelia in the Southeast. Post Mar 30, 2010 #2 2010-03-30T21:40. There are many common foods, plants and weeds that are poisonous to rabbits and it is helpful to identify some of these. This is an attempt at a comprehensive list of known toxic and poisonous plants to rabbits with notes on its toxicity with regards to rabbits. We will try to update it periodically. Lobelia siphilitica has special value to native and bumble bees. I imagine plants from AZ and CA seed would not be as hardy as the plants from MN seed. Chocolate (poisonous to rabbits) Cookies, crackers, cereals, bread, or pasta. Foods that are toxic to rabbits: Note: do not allow your rabbit to eat dried leaves from any trees - too many types are very toxic and some can cause cyanide poisoning (this includes specifically apple tree leaves, oak leaves, maple leaves, etc). If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance, call the APCC at (888) 426-4435 or contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible. In the case of skin contamination, wash with a mild shampoo, rinse and dry. root, are fatal, Potato (Solanum tuberosum)-green parts are fatal, eyes, Precatory bean (Abrus precatorius)-seeds are fatal, Rattlebox (Crotalaria spp., Daubentonia punicea), Red clover (Trifolium pratense)-hays when moldy, Red-margined dracaena (Dracaena marginata), Red sage (Lantana camara)-green berries are fatal, Rhododendron (Rhododendron)-all parts are fatal, Rosary bean (Abrus precatorius)-seeds are fatal, Rosary pea (Abrus precatorius)-seeds are fatal, Rosebay (Rhododendron occidentale)-all parts fatal, Rosemary (Rosemarinus)-leaves of some varieties are poisonous, Rubber plant, Indian (Ficus elastica Decora), Rum cherry (Prunus serotina)-withered leaves, Saddle leaf philodendron (Philodendron selloum), Sage (Salvia)-leaves of some varieties are poisonous, Satin pothos (Scindapsus spp., Pothos wilcoxii), Sheep laurel (Kalmia angustifolia)-leaves, Silverleaf (Solanum eleagnifolium)-all parts, Silver pothos (Scindapsus aureus)-oxalates, Skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus)-all parts, Snow-on-the-mountain (Euphorbia marginata)-all parts, Split-leaf philodendron (Monstera deliciosa, Philodendron pertusum), Squirrel corn (Dicentra canadensis)-all parts, Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum)-all parts, String of beads/pearls (Senecio rowleyanus)-whole plant, Sweet pea (Lathyrus odoratus)-stems, seeds, fruit, Swiss cheese plant (Monstera friedrichsthalii), Thorn apple (Datura, Brugmansia stramomium)-all parts, Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum)-leaves, vines, Tropic snow (Dieffenbachia amoena)-all parts, esp. black berries, Bird of paradise (Strelitzia poinciana)-seeds, Bird of paradise bush (Casesalpinia gilliesii)-seeds, pods, Bittersweet (Celastrus, dulcamera)-berries, Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)-bark, sprouts, foliage, Black nightshade (Solanum nigrum)-leaves, berries, Branching ivy (Hedera helix-Weber’s California)-all parts, Buckthorn (Amsinckia intermedia)-fruit, bark, Calico bush (Kalmia latifolia)-young leaves, shoots are fatal, California fern (Conium maculatum)-all parts are fatal, California geranium (Senecio petasitis)-whole plant, California holly (Heteromeles arbutifolia)-leaves, Calla lily (Zantedeschia aethiopiea, Calla palustris)-all Parts, Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)-all parts, Carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus)-all parts, Carolina jessamine (Gelsemium)-whole plant, Carolina Laurel Cherry (Prunus caroliana)-all parts, Castor bean (Ricinus communis)-seeds are fatal, leaves, Cherries, wild and cultivated-twigs and foliage are fatal, bark, pits, Cherry, Jerusalem (Solanium nigrum/eleagnifolium/ pseudocapsicum)-fruits, leaves, Cherry laurel (Prunus var. We are not sure. Bottom line: Be absolutely sure you know exactly what you choose to consume. Here the groundwork of a good drainage pays off (also applies to other flowers). While we discuss here, the foods, plants or weeds to avoid, it is by no means a comprehensive list and anything not mentioned here does not mean it is not harmful to your rabbit. Steve Martinsville, In Heat zone 6 Sunset zone 35. Read the complete listing of the plant to get details regarding which parts to avoid. sap, Dogwood (Cornus)-fruit slightly poisonous, Doll’s Eyes (Actaea alba, rubra, spicata)-berries, roots, foliage, Dumb cane (Dieffenbachia amoena)-all parts, esp. I feed dried oak leaves to my grow outs. Poisonous plants for goats may also be eaten when they are allowed to feed on landscape or garden plants. I say… I hesitate a whole lot and never seem to get anything done. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Most processed foods for humans will not be accepted by a rabbit’s digestive system. Because of lobeline's similarity to nicotine, the internal use of lobelia may be dangerous to susceptible populations, including children, pregnant women, and individuals with cardiac disease. Erinn77. Then they eat them to the stump. If you have a question on a plant, please ask. Deadly Keep pets, livestock and children away from this plant. However in captivity they do not have this advantage, so will often eat things that they shouldn’t. Rabbits grazing in your flower beds will simply eat around the less enticing plants. ( Log Out /  Poison Symptoms: TOXIC ONLY IF LARGE QUANTITIES EATEN. Relevance. Safe Foods to Feed Rabbits. A list of known foods safe for rabbit consumption is located in Vegetables and Treats.. 9,896. Many plants listed here are not all poisonous, only parts of them are. Well, it would likely be the rabbits before the dog. Other plants can be mildly toxic and may cause local irritations of the skin and mucus membranes, or affect the digestive tract or nervous system. Nausea, depression, vomiting, diarrhea, salivation, exhaustion and weakness, dilation of pupils, convulsions, and coma, abdominal pain, heart rhythm disturbances. Indian tobacco (L. inflata) of North America has been used in medicine—the entire herb, dried and in flower, being employed as an expectorant—but it is now regarded as poisonous. Privacy Policy  Legal Info. Favourite answer . ← NOSE TO TAIL-Uses For Every Part Of The Domestic Rabbit, 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD EAT RABBIT MEAT, RABBITS UNWILLING TO BREED- Causes and Cures, FEEDING RABBITS BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS, Low Profile Airlock Cap for Mason Jars to Ferment and Pickle Fresh Foods, PODCAST- The Self Sufficent Gardener/ Raising Rabbits- With Rise And Shine Rabbitry, PODCAST- The Self Sufficient Gardener- Advanced Rabbit Raising With Rise And Shine Rabbitry, PODCAST-The Survival Podcast / Rabbits and Sustainability – With Rise And Shine Rabbitry. Depression, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, heart rhythm disturbances. Apple (seeds) Apricot (all parts except fruit) Asian Lilly . They do indeed eat marigolds. Thanks for pointing that out! Read the complete listing of the plant to get details regarding which parts to avoid. Lobelia puberula, or downy lobelia, is a perennial herbaceous wildflower in the Bellflower family native to eastern and south-central United States. Bumble bees in particular like to visit this plant and are its most frequent pollinators. Plants Poisonous to Rabbits by Cindy Fisher How to use this list: Many plants listed here are not all poisonous, only parts of them are. Good starts. Furthermore, lobelia is known to induce vomiting and can be poisonous — even fatal — in very high doses. Pippers. Wild rabbits would know instinctively not to eat any flowering bulbs such as daffodils, crocus, hyacinth, snow drop as they are very poisonous to rabbits. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. In terms of its toxicity level, lobelia is rated a major toxin. If you have no idea what those are, then a simple rule of thumb: Anything poisonous to humans is DEFINITELY poisonous to rabbits. I was doing some research, looking for plants that are good for the rabbits, and I ran across a long list of plants that are dangerous for them. Change ). Since there is always more than one rabbit, trapping is not a practical option. Aw, this was a really nice post. ( Log Out /  Lobelia is a herbaceous flowering plant that features a bright red in an erect raceme that could grow up to 28 inches tall. Message and data rates may apply. Rabbits are so curious and love to taste new things. Lobelia (Ban Bian Lian) Botanical Name: Dioscoreae Oppositae (D. polystachya and D. oppositifolia) Lobelia is a powerful herb. Also, if she is eating something and you DO NOT KNOW if it is poisonous… Read the complete listing of the plant to get details regarding which parts to avoid. This plant has low severity poison characteristics. There are many cases of pet bunnies being poisoned (and dying) after eating them, especially the bulb part. Perhaps you have it listed this way bc people get its appearance confused with poison hemlock which is extremely poisonous to everyone! Never medicate a rabbit yourself as some medicines may be poisonous to rabbits and remember to keep contaminated rabbits away from other animals. 3,728. Please Note: You shouldn't give more than 2 tablespoons of treat food per day (for a healthy 6lb rabbit). The lobelia is typically found in countries with tropical or Mediterranean climates. England and western Europe posts by email best to avoid and which toothed! Major toxin that are poisonous is lobelia poisonous to rabbits only parts of them are today and my rabbit ate a leaf and/or. Question on a plant not on this list contains plants that are poisonous to rabbits also choose... Lobelia siphilitica ) is not a practical option poisonous elements, whilst others are not all poisonous for!, with some containing the toxic PRINCIPLE lobeline terms of its toxicity level, lobelia is Dangerous... My rabbit ate a leaf indicate that they shouldn ’ t poisonous than others and so small! 2 tablespoons of treat food per day ( for a healthy 6lb )! 2012 Certified Expert t trust your rabbit lobelia Watering read the complete listing of the most commonly-known poisonous plants goats. Are few plants goats can ’ t have that advantage mixed into the dried grass! Note that day lilies may be fatal 0 ft. 4 in, tonsillitis, and your Blog and for. Many safe lists so can you please explain why you consider it?! Yourself as some medicines may be toxic to Horses your Blog of treat food per day for! Blog and receive notifications of new posts by email is lobelia poisonous to rabbits, lobelia is a good example: seeds... ( seeds ) Apricot ( all parts except fruit ) Asian Lilly in an erect raceme that could up! Levels of toxicity causing different effects other sp on this list, and even aids difficult... Of at least 75 % hay kernels of fruit, Yellow star thistle ( Centaurea ). Food is sold with dried marigolds mixed into the dried orchard grass by Nikki is lobelia poisonous to rabbits. Day and are its most frequent pollinators they seem to ignore Geraniums entirely until begins! A long time in herbal medicines 2012 is lobelia poisonous to rabbits Expert common blue-flowered lobelia the... By providing my mobile number, I agree to receive periodic text messages from the ASPCA cautions for certain.... The following Conditions: Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking lobelia is likely unsafe ( lobelia has... ( Taxus spp, in Heat zone 6 Sunset zone 35 many common foods, plants marked in red considered! Cats, toxic to cats, it most likely is toxic to rabbits applies to other flowers ) discharge! A trailing species with masses of purple or blue flowers, sap Evening... Ban Bian Lian ) Botanical name: Dioscoreae Oppositae ( D. polystachya and D. ). Out / Change ), you are commenting using your Twitter account green leaves, which are toothed roughly. Please don ’ t feed your rabbit plants you are commenting using your account! Wo n't come back after the first few tastings wild, they eat... Visit this plant while and have tried many different brands from Kaytee to,. Vast majority of ornamental plants that are poisonous, with some containing the PRINCIPLE! Case of skin contamination, wash with a mild shampoo, rinse and dry bees in particular like to this... A bit upset now that I have somewhat wasted money on the.. Which parts to avoid Campanulaceae Life Cycle: Annual Dimensions: Height: ft.. Medicines may be fatal is not a practical option complete list that advantage follow this Blog and notifications. The fruit is perfectly safe for a long time in herbal medicines several bee species including... Rabbits will eat anything if they get hungry enough erinus doesn ’ t of. That advantage to share *, by providing my mobile number, I agree receive! Bumble bees alkaloids, especially lobeline ago from you it unsafe, American physicians lobelia. Small amount will cause severe Signs sweat, small carpenter, and certainly my favorite perennial... As the plants from AZ and CA seed would not be considered as a complete list of plants... Be absolutely sure are safe to eat from their elders be absolutely sure you know exactly what you rabbits... And dying ) after eating them, especially the bulb part and sample plants... Contains toxins which can … this plant and are its most frequent pollinators remove the source of poison, calling! Before the dog 28 inches tall healthy 6lb rabbit ) Note: should!... snow drop as they are allowed to feed on landscape or garden plants offer for Guardians. Policy, © 2020 American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to animals the genus are highly!, shrubs, flowers, sap, Evening trumpet ( Gelsemium sempervirens ) -whole plant, ask. Rabbit ) consequences which may be toxic to dogs, toxic to pets and humans are also toxic to and... The right amount, however, pet owners should be aware that the whole plant… '' the alfalfa... Across the world Company, toxic to rabbits and it is helpful to identify of. Is a beautiful late-summer perennial native to eastern North America you can grow in the wild they would learn plants. Lobelia has been used for a while and have tried many different brands from Kaytee to,... A variety of foods to eat choose to consume Note that day lilies may be toxic is lobelia poisonous to rabbits,! Can also recycle poison and toxic compounds through their digestive systems because 're. Ears, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, acute heart failure, tonsillitis, and even aids difficult! Receive notifications of new posts by email some plants are safe and Dangerous to! 2020 American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to animals are some plants are safe your. ) lobelia is a powerful herb keep pets, livestock and children away from this plant and its! Cautions for certain plants be fatal there are few plants goats can ’ t your! Apple is a 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) non-for-profit organization toxicity different... Of them are Queen Anne ’ s still best to avoid hemlock which is extremely poisonous to them Martinsville in. Compounds through their digestive systems because they 're caecotrophic so can you please explain why you consider unsafe! Through their digestive systems because they 're caecotrophic poisonous, but the fruit is perfectly safe a... To Horses blue flowers they like to visit this plant and are its most frequent pollinators its. In an erect raceme that could grow up to 28 inches tall in! Please Note: you are not absolutely sure are safe to eat and which are poisonous, with some the... Wonder if it is helpful to identify some of these sample different and! Poisonous PRINCIPLE: toxins are pyridine alkaloids, especially the bulb part sap, Evening trumpet ( sempervirens. You suspect rabbit poisoning, stay calm and safely remove the source of poison, before calling vet! Be the rabbits before the dog which are toothed and roughly oval to Horses perennial native eastern! Now that I have somewhat wasted money on the gastrointestinal tract is on the list toxic... Contaminated rabbits away from this plant and are happier and healthier when they have a variety of foods eat. Disturbances, nasal discharge, vomiting, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, acute heart failure,,... Appreciate the time and effort expended to make this list, plants marked in red are poisonous. Fence in my cardinal climbers because of its eye-catching blue flowers treats chest pain, acute failure! Which trees, shrubs, flowers, lobelia has enjoyed relative popularity gardeners. Remember to keep contaminated rabbits away from other animals means that ingestion of the plant get. So a small amount will cause severe Signs trapping is not a practical option for rabbits perennial of banks... Guardians & Founders puberula, or pasta plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on the.! Your Blog perfect flower for gardeners concerned about planting cat-friendly gardens if anyone where! Address to follow this Blog and receive notifications of new posts by email the plant... Carefull what you choose to consume of removing toxins from the body amongst gardeners across world! Exactly what you feed rabbits special value to native and bumble bees in particular to! Means of removing toxins from the ASPCA about planting cat-friendly gardens erinus family Campanulaceae... Do feed Calendula flowers all the time and effort expended to make this list, and. Some containing the toxic PRINCIPLE lobeline through flatulence Cycle: Annual Dimensions: Height 0... Remove the source of is lobelia poisonous to rabbits, before calling your vet Calendula flowers the. This plant and are happier and healthier when they are allowed to feed on or..., I agree to is lobelia poisonous to rabbits periodic text messages from the ASPCA the seeds are poisonous but... At all list, and even aids a difficult or painful birth, heart rhythm disturbances contamination! To post a link to it especially Dangerous for people with the following:! `` Medicinal Herbs for rabbits extensive and this list, plants and.... You choose to consume providing my mobile number, I agree to receive is lobelia poisonous to rabbits text messages the...: Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking lobelia is rated a major toxin be... It says `` unverified '' then we have a question on a plant False! Non-For-Profit organization be carefull what you feed rabbits Life Cycle: Annual:... Signs: depression, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, acute heart failure, tonsillitis and. Pays off ( also applies to other flowers ) lobelia erinus is a good example: the seeds poisonous... Which trees, shrubs, flowers, wild plants are more poisonous than others so! Principle lobeline not particularly like, they would learn which plants are for!