Make sure to click on the Yoast SEO sidebar icon on the top right of your screen: Here, we’ll highlight 4 essential elements you’ll find in both the Yoast SEO meta box and the Yoast SEO sidebar: When you write a post or page for your website, checking these 4 elements should be the bare minimum you do before you publish a post. If you don’t add external links because they don’t make sense but Yoast recommends to do it I think it’s fine to ignore it. This is required for our payments to work. Let people know they’ll find what they’re looking for on your site and entice them to visit your site. And if you use Yoast SEO Premium, you can even preview how your post will look like on these social media sites. Looking at all the options for the variables none of them is indicated for the meta description. How to Use Yoast SEO Plugin. If you sign up for our newsletter we'll remove the newsletter subscription box for you. These are set for members of the Kinsta website only - members of our staff. Also, you can use different featured images for Facebook and Twitter. It’s such a big guide that we’ve split it into two parts: Ready to learn how to use Yoast SEO? As we hit the end of this guide, let’s round up with a look at how you’ll actually use Yoast SEO in your everyday WordPress life. In this post, I’m going to tell you what Yoast is, how to install it on your WordPress site and how to use to improve the SEO of your posts and pages. But you’ve heard about Yoast SEO and people have told you it’s a great tool for effortlessly optimizing your site and its pages for Google, Bing, and Yandex. One advantage of Yoast SEO premium plugin is that it is completely ad-free and comes with a few extra features. Why We Encourage the Use of Yoast SEO. If a bullet is green you’re doing great on that subject. Strange! Let us show you the Kinsta difference! These cards are pretty eye-catching, so every little bit of information helps: In the Search engine visibility section, you can choose whether or not to allow certain types of content to be indexed in search engines (Suggested reading: 21 Alternative Search Engines to Use). Read our focus keyphrase guide, as it will help you select the keywords you actually want and could be ranking for. Yoast SEO is a WordPress plugin that helps you optimize your ranking on search engines. The cookie contains no information about the visitor whatsoever. I have already read all these articles and all other posts on the Yoast page, but nowhere is mentioned which variables I should use on the Meta description template so that the Meta description of each individual post is displayed in Google. Check out how we easily cleaned up a negative SEO attack on Kinsta.com with the Ahrefs tool. I highly recommend it as different social networks use different image sizes. 99.99% of the time, you want to leave these as the defaults. It is time to start using it for your posts and pages. And then click Close: Congratulations – you just configured Yoast SEO! In the newer versions of Yoast SEO, there is no longer a separate section for this. WordPress SEO is, unavoidably, a complex topic, though. Control whether or not the Yoast SEO meta box should appear for specific types of content. Help?! Yoast SEO Premium allows you to set related keyphrases and synonyms too, which is great if you want to take your content creation to the next level. Used by Hubspot to allow us to better assist visitors to kinsta.com who contact us. Yoast plugin developers have done a great job to make it easy to use by beginners, but still, there is a good chance that you will need some help with how to use Yoast SEO plugin as many beginners are not familiar with all the features that Yoast SEO offers and find it challenging to decide which one to use to optimize their website. Once you get everything configured, the only area that you’ll use on an everyday basis is the Yoast SEO meta box. Also what good releasing any plugin with 100 bugs and one enhancement (if there is an enhancement at all)? Moreover, it checks other SEO aspects of your content that are not related to your keyphrase, for instance, if you have internal links to other articles. Also, the faq snippet. Remember back in the day when people use to use Yoast . It makes my work easy but I wanted to know more about cornerstone content which is in the Pro version. I need some help to locate the file editor option in Yoast. Do I use a lot of passive voice in my text? Thank you for posting this article. His main goal with most of his articles is to kick-start your site optimization. Yoast SEO enhances your chance of more traffic to your site. These are all elements that make or break the readability of your copy! Hello Alexander, is your listing page a custom post type in WordPress? Thanks, we've saved your settings, you can modify them any time on the, Take a deep dive into how you can use Yoast to boost your WordPress site's SEO. Is it orange or red? As we hit the end of this guide, let’s round up with a look at how you’ll actually use Yoast SEO in your everyday WordPress life. Hi ALex, I would recommend you to keep your posts natural. It is just a recommendation but you don’t need to always follow it. How to Use Yoast SEO WordPress Plugin: Beginner’s Guide. But, if you change your mind later, you can always change it here. This cookie contains information about the affiliate who refered a visitor. Indexation – Once search engines find the right pages, they need to be able to copy them to their index so they show in search results 3. Make an effort and write a title and meta description that clearly reflect what your post or page is about. These are things you might not want any author to do. First, let me tell you that SEO WordPress plugins help you to work on the SEO of your website or blog, but keep in mind that plugins don’t do all the SEO work. If you don’t already have the Yoast SEO plugin installed, you’ll want to do that. This is usually because permissions on your server or you have file editing disabled on your WordPress install. Analytics help us deliver better content to our audience. How To Install The Yoast SEO Plugin? These suggestions aren’t perfect – so don’t feel like you need to get a perfect score. free Yoast SEO for WordPress plugin training, The Yoast SEO configuration wizard and why you should use it », Yoast SEO’s hidden features that secretly level up your SEO, Yoast SEO Premium recognizes grammatical variations of your keyphrase, a full guide to help you use the Yoast SEO readability analysis, Content analysis: methodological choices explained, overview of which features are available per language, The SEO and readability analysis in Yoast SEO, recognize word forms, and allows you to optimize for related keywords and keyword synonyms, properly using the colored bullet system in Yoast SEO, How to use the Yoast SEO readability analysis tool, How to use the Yoast SEO content analysis tool, Why and how to use the Yoast SEO text link counter, Get weekly tips on how to optimize your website's SEO, usability and conversion. To harness the full power of the Yoast SEO plugin, a premium price has to be paid. Everywhere they write different things that confused me even more. Whether you’re just starting to use WordPress or are a seasoned developer you'll find useful tips to speed up your site in this guide. Go to Posts –> Add New and you’ll see what I mean. If you are already an experienced user, it is wise that you stick to the settings that you set in the configuration wizard. Want to have a closer look at our content analysis? Create an account here. To install Yoast, open your WordPress dashboard and go to Plugins then Add New. But after reading this article, I changed my mind. How to Use Yoast SEO to Optimize Your … . Installing Yoast is fairly straightforward. While Google Search Console is definitely something you should investigate eventually, it’s not something that’s necessary to the functioning of Yoast SEO: If you have a Google Search Console account, you should sync it now. And once you have the file, Yoast SEO will let you edit it right there in your dashboard: Yoast SEO lets you edit your robots.txt file from your dashboard. As you can see there are some more items in the sidebar and meta box, like the internal linking suggestions, social previews, schema, cornerstone content, insights, and advanced section. To exclude certain post types from your sitemap, this is now done from the Search Appearance area further below. Let’s dive right in: When you create a post, page, or a custom post, Yoast allows you to write the SEO title and meta description for them. By clicking the configuration wizard link, Yoast SEO will give you a guided tour to help you set up all of the basic SEO settings: How to access Yoast SEO configuration wizard. Hover over PLUGINS on the left-hand side and then select ADD NEW. How To Use Yoast SEO – SEO Score. Nice article. How to Install Yoast SEO. You now can get on track adding and optimizing your content with the Yoast readability analysis and SEO analysis! How To Use Yoast SEO. If you don’t already have the Yoast SEO plugin installed, you’ll want to do that. I am using it for years. WordPress sets a couple of cookies that track logged in users and store user preferences set in their WordPress user profile. Good luck! Type YOAST into the search box in the top right and then INSTALL NOW and ACTIVATE. Hi Carolyn, did you try to set it on the Search Appearance -> General tab? If this is your first time using the plugin, you should see a big notice for First-time SEO configuration. So for maximum visibility, I want to make sure I use keywords and phrases like these in my page title and meta description. Yoast SEO is a WordPress SEO plugin that can make your SEO efforts easier and more efficient. METHOD TO USE YOAST SEO PREMIUM FOR FREE. Usually, Yoast SEO is the very first result to appear, and it looks like this: Click “ Install Now ” then once it has installed, click “ Activate “. After we read them and click the ‘x’ to delete them, the notification returns to ‘unviewed’ status. How to Use Yoast SEO Correctly: Setup, Configuration & Options. In addition to the checks, we provide an editable snippet or Google preview. Duplicate/Low Quality Content – You only want search engines to se… headings and in the introduction and conclusion of your text From your site’s admin dashboard, look along the left-hand side of the screen for the “Plugins” option. This article has provided enough information about the Yost SEO plugin or extension. Description Yoast SEO: the #1 WordPress SEO plugin. Yoast plugin developers have done a great job to make it easy to use by beginners, but still, there is a good chance that you will need some help with how to use Yoast SEO plugin as many beginners are not familiar with all the features that Yoast SEO offers and find it challenging to decide which one to use to optimize their website. Struggling with downtime and WordPress problems? Check out our plans. We’ve added some information regarding this above to the post. It’s focused on the page title (“Beginner’s guide to Yoast SEO”) and has proper branding at the end (“Yoast”). For example, if you don’t find the Readability analysis in the Yoast SEO meta box helpful, you can turn it off here: This is where you also can enable/disable security for authors. It has over 1 million active dowloads and has an overall 5* rating. Some companies are completely dependent on search engines to grow their businesses. Our premium analysis is as smart as Google, why not give it a spin? Once activated, it will add a new menu item to your WordPress dashboard with the Yoast SEO logo. The SEO analysis evaluates how well your content is optimized to rank for that specific keyphrase. You’ll see a live preview at the top as you edit the information: This information is important because it’s what will show up in Google’s organic search results: In the Readability analysis area, Yoast SEO tries to apply that same concept to humans. 2.4.3. Specifically, if your website actually wants to get traffic and succeed. Let’s look at how to use Yoast SEO on a post.If you want to do SEO for a page, Yoast works just the same, though homepage SEO might merit a separate post sometime in the future.If you do homepage SEO, you’re generally trying to rank for either the name of your website or your website niche. How to Install Yoast SEO Plugin. But, you’ll also need to add a small code snippet to your theme in order to get the breadcrumb feature working: Finally, the RSS tab lets you insert extra content before or after your post content in your RSS feed. Previously used keyphrase: Only target each keyword on one page. Again, green tells you which aspects of your SEO are good, while orange and red indicates where you can improve your SEO strategy. Or, you can always dismiss the notification if you don’t want to address it. The Search Appearance area also provides some awesome ways to automate a lot of your on-page SEO. In this section, you’ll learn how to optimize the posts and pages of your website for search engines and also for social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. On my blog, I use Yoast and Schema plugin both, as Yoast can’t provide everything, yet it claims to be the number one. It is important to add the focus keyword from the start. After you’ve checked the readability of your copy it’s time to look at the SEO-friendliness of it. Thanks for useful and meaningful articles for me .. Hi, thank you for all the information provided. Need to edit the knowledge graph & schema.org data? When in, install Yoast and activate it when the installation completes. New users are often intimidated with how to use Yoast SEO because it is so chock full of features. It lets you create fully-functioning websites and building landing pages without writing codes. If you don’t have it already, the first thing to do is to get the Yoast SEO plugin. You should be seeing a column marked “SEO” on the right hand side of the screen. FEATURES Besides analyzing your focus keywords, Yoast also helps you to create an XML sitemap, verify your site with Google and Bing, and verify your social media … In the configuration wizard, you can choose whether you want a dash, asterisk, or something else. Hey Karin, you might want to reach out to the Yoast team and ask them. Go to Posts –> Add New and you’ll see what I mean. But you still have to do the work—and a lot of people aren’t using the Yoast SEO plugin correctly. Yoast SEO is awesome and loved by everyone. Yoast SEO enhances your chance of more traffic to your site. Yoast SEO Configuration Wizard for an Easy Setup This article will guide you through the essential setup and basic use of the plugin using plain English as much as we can. Just keep hitting next until you get to section 10 – Success! Meta description length: According to Yoast SEO, the ideal length for meta descriptions is 120-156 characters. For instance, it checks whether you’ve used the keyphrase enough, but not too often. Very complete guide for the Yoast SEO. At the moment, Yoast SEO uses the following checks: Transition words: Do you use transition words like ‘most importantly’, ‘because’, ‘therefore’, or ‘besides that’ to tie your text together? As of April 16, 2019, Yoast SEO version 11+ supports more structured data than ever before. If you need help with this, please read our guide on how to install WordPress plugins. But they are a good high-level guide: In the Focus keyphrase area, you can enter a Focus keyword to optimize your content for. Click on the General tab and you can then edit your organization and or person data. The meta box helps you by: The meta box appears underneath the WordPress editor (its exact location depends on your other plugins and themes). Set and used by LinkedIn for targeting advertisements and promoting content to users who have visited kinsta.com. Why should you use Yoast WordPress SEO. Of course, we offer a full guide to help you use the Yoast SEO readability analysis. And when it comes to SEO plugins, Yoast SEO is by far one of the most popular options. Most of Yoast SEO’s options are “set it and forget”. Most of Yoast SEO’s options are “set it and forget”. Below, we’ll take you through the rest of the sections in the configuration wizard. There’s no guarantee that Google will display your meta description in the results pages. So Zip wants to share a coloring page with a bunch of trick-or-treating sloths, even though he’d never find the energy to trick-or-treat himself. Yoast SEO has a more limited feature list in its free version, but the Yoast SEO team does offer multiple pro add-ons that you can use to extend the core features. In ‘Search Appearance’, you can change, among other things, how our plugin sets up your titles and metas. Hi, To help your pages rise to the top, our plugin needs your input. But if the meta description you add here is very good, you’ll increase the odds. Looking for your XML sitemaps? It helps you check: Aren’t my sentences or paragraphs too long? Because my pages are showing up as “Page Name * ” (i.e.e no website name indicated).