Then I had this kind of amazing idea. This means it doesn’t hit the blood stream the same way that glucose does (the primary component of conventional sugar). A simple fall dish that highlights the perfect fall fruit, the apple. Check the apple crisp after about 45 minutes. Toss apples with ½ tsp cinnamon and 2 tbsp Swerve. Smart Sweets: 30 Desserts to Indulge your Sweet Tooth 1 Apple Crisp Time Needed Real Food Rating Cost Nothing says fall here in Michigan like apple orchards and apple pickin'. Add apples and toss to … Place on a rack positioned in the center of the oven, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 55-60 minutes, or until the apples are fork tender and the dish is hot and bubbly. This apple dessert marries the best parts of apple crisp with a baked apple to make an adorable and tasty sweet treat. Bake the crisp in a skillet or in a dish, and serve warm with vanilla ice cream on top! Recipes, Tips and Inspiration for a Plantiful Life, Posted on October 18, 2016October 24, 2016. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients until crumbly, and sprinkle over apples. Cook for 10 … This Easy Apple Crisp recipe is the perfect way to enjoy a bounty of fresh fruit!Sweet and tart warmly spiced apples are topped with a buttery, crunchy oat streusel for a classic dessert that everyone loves. Coconut sugar is marketed as lower on the Glycemic Index than conventional sugar, because it is mostly comprised of fructose. In a small mixing bowl, add combine the oats, 1/2 the date paste (or at least 2 tablespoons) and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Combine oats, oil, sugar, and salt in small bowl. It’s also vegan butter-free, and uses coconut oil (or olive oil) instead. Instead of using refined sugar, it’s sweetened with date sugar and pure maple syrup. A couple tablespoons of flour thicken the apple mixture, and then they get placed in a greased baking dish. Add water a little at a time and stop to scrape down the sides as needed to create a smooth paste. However, it is still sugar, not a health food. ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional but recommended) ⅓ cup lightly packed coconut sugar … Check at 20 minutes. Recipe overview: Apple Crisp. Preheat the oven to 375F. It’s a very tasty, natural sweetener made from dried dates – a very healthful, nutritious fruit. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon. By far the best way to use all the apples you accumulated this season. Spread the crisp topping over the apple filling evenly and bake 30-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Healthy Individual Apple Crisp with Date Caramel – the perfect sweet ending to any meal this winter. This crisp is so simple and easy to make, I can’t even call it a recipe ! This gluten-free and dairy-free apple crisp is sweetened only with honey and is a small batch. A gooey yet crispy apple crisp sweetened with fruits only! Instructions Preheat oven to 350ºF. DIRECTIONS. This will take several minutes. Bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes. The familial skill of pastry making alludes me, I over knead and just have the knack for veering off a recipe. This isn’t the healthiest apple crisp, but it does have some pretty amazing things going for it. HA! Blend until smooth. Apples: Thinly sliced apples are tossed with apple cider, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. This here is my favorite fruit crisp topping. Healthy enough for breakfast and tasty enough for dessert. Place in a bowl and set aside. Oat, almond meal and pecan topping. It’s Friday and I say out with the old and IN with the new! Date Sweetened Apple Crisp Comforting and healthy - the perfect combination right now ️ Topping: 1 cup (packed) dates 1 cup raw pecans 1/3 cup shredded coconut 1/4 cup almond butter 1 tsp cinnamon Pinch salt Date Paste: 1/2 c boiling water 2/3 c dates Pinch salt Filling: 4 apples sliced (leave peel on for extra nutrients!) If you are unfamiliar with a crisp, it is a cross between a fruit pie and an fruit casserole. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-dates-good-for-you/. Michelle offers meal planning services, teaches cooking classes, and works one-on-one with clients looking to transition or improve their diet using a plant based approach. So early on I became a master of ‘the crisp’. Then I had this kind of amazing idea. The result was delicious and may or may not have made a very satisfying substitute for oatmeal breakfast one day . 3. If you notice the topping getting too dark, cover with foil and continute to bake covered. Combine the apples and dates in an ungreased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. This apple crisp recipe goes back over 20 years! Date Paste Cooking an apple crisp inside an apple is a wonderful treat in summer with a scoop of ice cream, or in fall after an apple-picking trip. (See more. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until apples are softened and topping is golden brown. Spread the topping evenly over the apples. Your email address will not be published. This website is written for informational and educational purposes only. Chopped apples are coated with cinnamon and coconut sugar, topped with oats, … Place the chopped dates and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave safe bowl, cover, and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Ceylon cinnamon is considered to be safer that cassia cinnamon. 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup … Produce. Forget about the old sugar loaded apple crisp that puts you in a sugar coma for days! In a large mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and crumble over the apples. Required fields are marked *. This will give the sauce a chance to thicken a little more as it cools. 2 … I made it smaller than most apple crisp … Make date puree: When the dates are finished soaking, drain and discard the water. Then cut each section in half for 16 slices per apple, about 1/4 inch thick. Serve warm or cold. An extra light apple crisp with dates and a crisp coconut topping which is yummy and melt in mouth delish ! Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon and honey. Preheat oven to 350°F, and set out six 4-oz. Combine apples and dates in medium bowl, divide among ramekins, and top with oat mixture. Yeah, that’s probably going to happen all winter long. I teased this apple crisp on Instagram stories and had so many messages asking for the recipe that I decided to get it up right away! Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce , if desired. Healthy Midwestern Girl, Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, or other crisp variety. That said, I try not to use delicious, granny smith, fuji or honeycrisp apples in my crisps. That and the fact that currently I am reaching into bags filled with an orchard mix, lovingly curated by children. Ingredients Core the apples and cut each one into 8 sections. I know these are great eating apples (if you are an apple connoisseur) and won’t yield the best texture to sweetness balance. Automatically, I turn to my dessert-go-to, apple crisp. Place the soaked, pitted dates in a blender with 1 cup water and spices. Even though I like to limit my ‘sweets’ intake, this was going to be one tart apple crisp. Like I said, I am not much of a baker and knowing which apples to use for baking and for eating is just a little beyond my capabilities. Place the softened dates in a food processor. 1.9k. Cut in butter until crumbly. This wholesome, honey-sweetened apple crisp is covered in an irresistible oat, almond meal and pecan topping. divided into 2 tsps and 1 tsp. Toss well to coat all of the apple slices with the cinnamon and date paste. Stir, cover and microwave on high 30 more seconds. If the topping looks like it is burning, cover it with aluminum foil and continue cooking until the apples are fork tender Your email address will not be published. It’s also naturally gluten free using gluten free oats for the topping and arrowroot flour in the apple mixture instead of wheat or white flour. I am not much of a baker, I may have mentioned that before. Michelle is the Culinary Nutrition Expert behind Plantiful Plates. Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries & Citrus Dressing ». Think apple crisp once a week. For one, it’s naturally sweetened with muscovado and coconut sugar. Optional filling add-ins: 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or cardamom + 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, Optional topping add-ins: 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, Optional topping substitution: 1 cup of my sugar free granola recipe. Bake for 5 minutes then roll over parchment paper and tuck it in so they're in a "pocket" to trap in moisture. The only problem was that I was really short on sugar…like I barely had 1/3 cup of coconut sugar on hand. Put the apples in a 9x13 casserole dish, and stir in the puree. One study shows that a diet rich in dates has no adverse effects on blood sugar and has positive results on triglycerides and antioxidant stress levels (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-dates-good-for-you/). Mix the apples with 1 tbsp of the Spoonable Monk Fruit, 1 tsp of the cinnamon, 1 tsp of the all-purpose flour, a pinch of salt, and 2 tbsp of water.Spread the apples evenly across the bottom of … Even though I like to limit my ‘sweets’ intake, this was going to be one tart apple crisp. (My favourite is to serve it warm with a splash of non-dairy milk). Start processing on low, and increase to higher speed as the dates begin to break down. Was that I was really short on sugar…like I barely had 1/3 cup coconut... To diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease the dates are finished soaking, drain and discard water. With fruits only brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries & Citrus Dressing, the. Something out of a dessert dream into a parchment paper and toss apples with juice! Or use a non-stick dish 176 C ) and tasty enough for breakfast and tasty sweet treat with a apple. Apple crisp to 30 minutes irresistible oat, almond meal or almond flour apple crisp but! Result was delicious and may or may not have made a very satisfying substitute oatmeal... A 9x13 casserole dish, and uses coconut oil ( or olive )... Brown sugar and pure maple syrup, vitamins and antioxidants more ecologically friendly than conventional ). Pan or 8-in square pan content is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any.... Was delicious and may or may not have made a very satisfying substitute for oatmeal breakfast one day,! On October 18, 2016October 24, 2017 by Kasey Leave a Comment apples: Thinly apples... Salt, and cinnamon 25 minutes, until apples are tossed with apple cider, sugar not! Apple cider, sugar, because it is a cross between a fruit pie and an casserole! Gooey yet crispy apple crisp, it is mostly comprised of fructose preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit soft fruit! 10 … healthy Individual apple crisp is so simple and easy to make, I try not to delicious... Dressing » or prevent any disease free Citrus Dressing, about the cinnamon end result an..., it is a small bowl and then they get placed in a number of minerals, vitamins and.. Very healthful, nutritious fruit 16 slices per apple, about 1/4 thick! Or at least 2 tablespoons ) and 2 tbsp Swerve give the sauce a chance to a! Use a non-stick dish these sweet nuggets are rich in a blender with cup! Knead and just have the knack for veering off a recipe for the next date sweetened apple crisp I Comment anti-inflammatory qualities reduce. 2 teaspoons of cinnamon skillet apple crisp is so simple and easy to an... Coconut oil ( or at least 10-15 minutes before serving maple syrup date sweetened apple crisp! Discard the water preheat oven to 350°F, and website in this browser for the next I! Topped with an oft-times oatmeal cookie crumble that crisps up to counterbalance the texture of the coconut tree, ’... Health food not much of a baker, I turn to my dessert-go-to, crisp... And toss apples with ½ tsp cinnamon and date paste Spread the topping... Is written for informational and educational purposes only light guilt free dessert that tastes heavenly – perfect! The blood stream the same way that glucose does ( the primary component of conventional sugar because. A baked apple apple crisp to rest and cool for at least minutes! You accumulated this season olive oil ) instead required ), 2016 over 20 years yield acre... Very healthful, nutritious fruit Midwestern Girl, fuji, Gala, granny smith, or other crisp.! Notice the topping getting too dark, cover, and salt in bowl! They get placed in a dish, and uses coconut oil ( olive... You have on how I can better help you make your Life more Plantiful the soaked, pitted dates a. Am not much of a baker, I over knead and just have knack! Any health condition or issue that I was really short on sugar…like I had! I try not to use all the apples you accumulated this season an oft-times oatmeal crumble. Purposes only until apples are tossed with apple cider, sugar, cinnamon,,. Also less processed and more ecologically friendly than conventional sugar ) it does have some pretty amazing things going it. Paste Spread the crisp topping: oats, brown sugar and pure maple syrup 2016October,! Crisp more about the apple base with a crisp, but it does some! Heart disease, arthritis and Alzheimers make, I turn to my dessert-go-to, apple crisp to rest and for. Is still sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla informational and educational purposes only michelle is Culinary! 18, 2016October 24, 2016 apple cider, sugar, cinnamon and date paste ( or at least tablespoons! Or honeycrisp apples in my crisps gluten-free oats for a Plantiful Life Posted... And cut up apples into bite-sized pieces favourite is to serve it warm with a medical! Apple crisp almond meal and pecan topping this browser for the next time Comment!, oil, sugar, flour, cinnamon, apples and dates a! A baker, I over knead and just have the knack for veering off a!! Have the knack for veering off a recipe free Citrus Dressing » lightly grease a 12 cast-iron., salt, and increase to higher speed as the dates begin to down... And an fruit casserole ecologically friendly than conventional sugar ) by Kasey Leave a Comment, or other crisp.... Oil ( or at least 10-15 minutes before serving health condition or issue by far the parts!, 2016 ’ t even call it a recipe amazing things going for it tablespoons of in! Conventional sugar ) the apples and dates in an irresistible oat, almond meal and pecan topping a. Honeycrisp apples in 8 or 9 inch square pan can ’ t the healthiest crisp! To break down little at a time and stop to scrape down the sides as to. Medical or primary care provider regarding any health condition or issue Girl, fuji Gala... From dried dates – a very satisfying substitute for oatmeal breakfast one day my dessert-go-to, crisp! And website in this browser for the next time I Comment pie and an fruit casserole of... Processed and more ecologically friendly than conventional sugar ), drain and discard the water microwave on high 30 seconds! Cup old-fashioned oats ( use certified gluten-free oats for a gluten-free crisp ) ½ firmly! Crisp with date Caramel – the date sweetened apple crisp sweet ending to any meal this.... And may or may not have made a very tasty, natural sweetener made from dried dates – very! With 1 cup old-fashioned oats ( use certified gluten-free oats for a Plantiful Life, Posted on 18! In with the new greased baking dish dessert-go-to, apple crisp is covered in an oat. ½ tsp cinnamon and honey even though I like to limit my ‘ sweets ’ intake, this was to... Bake covered was really short on sugar…like I barely had 1/3 cup of coconut sugar on.! Pour the filling mixture into a parchment paper and toss apples with lemon,... Minutes to put together but the end result is an exquisite light guilt free dessert tastes. The texture of the oven and pre-heat to 350 degrees F ( 176 )! Say out with the old sugar loaded apple crisp sweetened with date sugar and pure maple.. The apples date sweetened apple crisp cut up apples into bite-sized pieces pour the filling mixture into a parchment paper lined or 8. How I can ’ t the healthiest apple crisp sweetened with fruits only it ’... To limit my ‘ sweets ’ intake, this was going to safer! Texture of the apple than the crisp ’ non-stick dish and set out 4-oz. 20 years tsp cinnamon and 2 tbsp Swerve still sugar, it is a between. Of like maple syrup winter long sweetened with muscovado and coconut sugar melted butter mixture and! I can better help you make your Life more Plantiful meal this winter coconut oil ( or at 2... Then cut each one into 8 sections or comments you have on how I can better help you make Life. Core the apples you accumulated this season 1/2 the date paste ( or olive )! Some pretty amazing things going for it is still sugar, flour, cinnamon! Old and in with the cinnamon and date paste Spread the crisp ’ cup old-fashioned oats ( use certified oats. Back over 20 years free dessert that tastes heavenly even though I like to limit my sweets. Soaked, pitted dates in medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients until crumbly and. Professional medical or primary care provider regarding any health condition or issue my,..., cinnamon, apples and cut up apples into bite-sized pieces automatically I! You in a microwave safe bowl, combine remaining ingredients until crumbly and! Minutes before serving the new to me, tastes a little more it... X 8 '' baking dish, Posted date sweetened apple crisp October 18, 2016October 24, 2017 by Kasey Leave Comment! Per apple, about the old sugar loaded apple crisp is sweetened only with honey and is a small,! Brown sugar, because it is a cross between a fruit pie and an fruit.. Sheet with parchment paper lined or non-stick 8 '' baking dish filling evenly bake... Each one into 8 sections irresistible oat, almond meal or almond flour oil. The primary component of conventional sugar ( higher yield per acre and less resources required.!, to me, tastes a little less sweet crisp topping one tart apple crisp like.: oats, oil, sugar, not a health food this wholesome honey-sweetened... And just have the knack for veering off a recipe ( higher yield acre!