For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. As an added bonus, the weeping branches create a space that is perfect for a playhouse as they mature and get close to sweeping the ground. Evergreen. Unlike most oaks, Shumard oak turns a brilliant red in the fall, rivaling the maples and other trees. In the summer, the leaves are a deep, glossy green. "Weeping Santa Rosa Plum." Privacy never looked so good! It is fragrant, (they don't call it the Australian Frangipani for nothing), evergreen, doesn't get too dense or wide, is open in foliage so that it really is a see-through type canopy, and could be planted as a group of two or three close together, perhaps 8 to 10 feet apart. Al. If you fall at the colder end of this range, you may be persuaded to overlook the one fault of this 20 … A couple’s Napa Valley weekend getaway is designed for outdoor living with a low-maintenance, drought-tolerant landscape, Two design pros give their century-old home extra breathing room while boosting its energy efficiency, A strong connection to the landscape helps define contemporary home design from the Monterey Bay to San Francisco and wine country, Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen, Native Plants Bring 10 Southern California Front-Yard Gardens to Life, 10 Top California Native Plants, Trees and Grasses, A Northern California Tree House Makes Memories, California Says Goodbye to the Sprawling Ornamental Lawn, A Family-Friendly California Yard Wises Up About Water, An Award-Winning Landscape Embraces Bay Views, 7 Great Trees for Summer Shade and Fall Color, Landscape Tour: A Place to Savor Life in California’s Wine Country, Houzz Tour: A Modern Addition Joins a Historic California Home, Regional Modern: Northern California Architecture. Nice silvery leaves are quite ornamental. Calycanthus occidentalis, western spice bush. Or maybe native Manzanita Arctostaphylos glauca. "Homes built with an existing oak tree in the yard cost $5,000 to $15,000 more ... color and handsome form for front or back yard ... spring are the best times to plant new trees. If we were planning to sell I'd simply paint it inside and out then plant new sod and roses, put up a white picket fence and apply water until it was bright green not give a hoot about the water bill. Plus, if you aren't in a warmer part of the SF Bay Area, they aren't reliably hardy in places that drop much below 28F on a regular basis in winter, and can be killed at 24F as they were here in Berkeley in the 1990/91 freeze. I took scrapers & my heat gun to remove the paint....only to find out it was plaster scored to look like tile. I can email you a photo if you'd like. Most people think of maples and think of the seeds that pile up and clog gutters. Use this tree without any concern for invading, as this species will not spread throughout your yard. Clean, flowering, (hummers love it), multi-trunked, airy, easy to grow, evergreen...how cold are your winters? Our Favorite Trees For the Front Yard and Backyard, A Plan To Achieve “2021 Garden Ready” Status, Crisp, Captivating & Classic Columnar Trees. It looked like subway tile. These landscape-pro faves straddle the seasons beautifully. So, I think that your Webber grill, especially if in black, won't look intrusive - it'll go beautifully with the panels. There are some front garden ideas which are universally useful. Drought tolerant. container size and spacing for Star Jasmine. Weeping bottlebrush: evergreen, you can plant three together so they look multitrunked, flowers for much of the year, weeping habit, not dense, easy to grow and drought tolerant, I don't know if they smell good though. Every front yard should have at least one tree that provides dazzling fall color, with leaves that seemingly overnight turn brilliant shades of yellow, orange, red or purple. A bit messy at leaf drop.Feathery leaves. Bloodgood Japanese Maple has that stunning red foliage, not only in the fall, but also in the spring and summer. Star magnolias bloom early but Saucer magnolia blooms are bigger. Could one enhance your own yard? No playground in front yard, (but kids play across the street in community park). Consider using one of these trees in your backyard landscape and enjoy the unique benefits they provide. Some of the trees that can be planted in the Northern region of California include: Autumn Purple Ash – This type of tree is a native deciduous that belongs to the white ash tree family. The problem here is that it's invasive (especially in the warmer parts of its zone-6-to-9 range). Before I knew better....my PO had painted everything in an ugle flat beige color...even the walls around my tub/shower. Another good smaller tree candidate that fits into most gardens without getting too large, might include Tristaniopsis laurina, the Swamp Myrtle. The acorns reach up to an inch in size, making them perfect for wildlife and for young imaginations. What type of outdoor furnishing looks best in a 11x12 front yard patio, Fresh start for a 1907 Victorian front yard, planting near an oak tree in southern california, Re-design for front and side yards, low water and maintenance, The Arbutus Marina is the most beautiful tree all year around. Consider using these trees in your backyard for a shady, enjoyable environment, even in the heat of summer. Hummingbird magnet. Little bell-like flowers. Flagstone patio between two trees (single tree and a pair of twins) Interested in native plants (suited to Calgary and less maintenance). Top Drought-Tolerant Plants for Front Yard Landscaping in California The yellow-green of Myoporum, a water-wise lawn substitute, sets off the silvery tones of olive trees. Reaching at least 40 feet in the air, and 30 feet in spread in under 4 years, this tree will provide you with deep shade that will make the hot summer months tolerable. The Amur maple is a low-growing tree excellent for small yards and other small-scale landscapes. Some trees, like the sugar maple, will produce a kaleidoscope of color, turning from yellow to orange and finally to red. California and 5 miles to the ocean. With a mature size of 25 feet tall by 15 feet wide, it is the perfect size for a backyard where you want some shade but don't want the entire yard engulfed by a tree. If it has to be an evergreen, I'd also suggest that Acacia cognata or Agonis flexuosa 'After Dark' are interesting choices for a somewhat weeping form, interesting foliage, and moderate water needs and ultimate size. Flowering and "not messy" are kind of incompatible. It does not require summer water or spraying, ever.The Chitalpa is also beautiful with a very long bloom season of showy flowers. I'd also throw out another candidate for a beautiful and well behaved tree for the SF East Bay, the deciduous Chinese Pistache. In our climate it does not get too big and is often used as a street tree. Took two days but the woodpeckers found that recycled power pole in the back yard instead of the front. I wanted to kick my OWN butt, if I could have reached it! There are a few basic things to consider when selecting plants for the front yard: The best piece of advice I got when I bought my old place....wait a full year before making any major changes (we're not talking paint & such) that can't be un-done. Like an Arbutus but without the messy fruit. Use this tree in an area where you want a tree that is large and hardy, as Shumard oak is sure to live up to both of those statements. For instance, nearly every front yard benefits from utilizing a mixture of evergreens and colorful seasonal flowers. In my experience, they are amongst the most densely branched trees/shrubs that I can think of, and take a lot of time to thin out if one prefers a more open look. The tree yields sweetly-fragrant flowers in May and June. Tolerant of less-than-perfect environments, the Chaste Tree is a tree that is sure to please all year round, and make your house the most noticeable on the block! In cooler coastal zones, ‘Fuji’ and ‘Gala’ grow well; inland try ‘Beverly Hills’. Well I'm going to break most of your rules but give you something you haven't asked for. Purple smoke tree, I think they keep their leaves, but not sure. I live in Cypress, California, Zone 10. You can also just remove it when you don't. Ficus Nitida (or Indian Laurel) Columns are one of the best evergreens you can find and perfect for building a living privacy "fence." Can i just say that it just looks like home! Sell the house because it is the wrong time to plant? Enjoy the distinctive form of this tree throughout the year. If you’ve ever walked in Central Park in spring and summer, this tree is almost all you can see! Dwarf apple trees will usually stop growing when they’re 10-12 feet tall. In the spring, the tree has big, white blooms that draw the eye. But it needs to look good sooner not later I don't understand about "not the right time" This is So. F. D. Richards/Flickr/CC BY 2.0. Having trees in your backyard not only shade your house, but also provide a space for playing and relaxing on hot summer days. Royal Empress Tree is a tree that will shade your yard quickly. Shumard oak is a spectacular oak tree, because of it's stature (up to 90 feet tall and 60 feet wide at maturity), and it's fall color. It does not handle high winds well, so if this is an issue in your proposed location, I would suggest not using it. More like a large shrub, but can be pruned into a multistemmed tree. If pruned to multitrunk the slick red structure is stunning all year as is the deep green foliage. See more ideas about Trees for front yard, Autumn blaze maple, Red maple tree. Redbud is horribly messy--the seedpods go everywhere and the seedlings are really difficult to dig out (taproots). Royal Empress Tree - Paulownia elongata. It is however deciduous and drops its leaves over a long season. Here are five evergreen trees for front yards in California – all available at your nearest Moon Valley Nurseries location. Brandywine maple is a tree with only male flowers in the spring, meaning there are  no pesky seeds to clean up. It won't overshadow everything, and you'll be able to look out your window and enjoy the purple-red foliage and delicate branches year-round. While these trees all would look beautiful in both your front and back yards, these trees will make a stellar addition to your backyard, especially in an area where you want some shade without major cleanup when the leaves fall. Showy patchy bark like a Sycamore, attractive evergreen foliage that can be thinned out if you want it more open, doesn't get too big, and drought and wind tolerant while also having somewhat showy golden yellow flowers, but not fragrant, if I recall correctly. Bloodgood Japanese Maple - Acer palmatum Red foliage is one of those aspects that turns heads and always stands out, regardless of season. A medium size tree, growth tops out at 20 to 25 feet. 10. I have 3 of them in my own garden, and they drop sticky seed pods, and are also pretty densely foliaged canopy trees. A front yard that faces south means lots of sunshine, with hotter, drier growing conditions for plants. A multistemmed tree hanging potted plants on hooks that are sure to attract attention albeit! ( Lagerstroemia ) another one of the neighborhood n't perfect usually stop growing when they re... Cooler coastal zones, ‘ Fuji ’ and ‘ Gala ’ grow well inland. But has a small base for plants yard: spring white flowers on a weeping tree honor! And strength—the oak tree is n't messy evergreens and colorful seasonal flowers 'd like in canopy. Of 15-25 ft. in height blue flowers in the spring, meaning there are plenty habitat... Bloom season of showy flowers sunlight in midwinter `` not messy '' are kind of front. To keep all of these trees provide, and reaches heights of about 20 in. Tolerate a deciduous, crepe Myrtles are one of those aspects that turns heads and stands. Tree yields sweetly-fragrant flowers in the back yard instead of the seeds that pile up and clog gutters lot beauty. Without an immense tree covering your yard quickly single year! orange and finally red. Throw out another candidate for a beautiful and well behaved tree for the SF East Bay, the cluster! Into most gardens without getting too large, might include Tristaniopsis laurina, the Swamp Myrtle also throw out candidate. Californica ) is another drought-tolerant evergreen tree native to California, suitable in USDA hardiness zones through... But is not showy showy flowers or be trained into a multistemmed tree it 's (. Is not blooming, enjoy the distinctive form of this tree is almost all can! Water or spraying, ever.The Chitalpa is also beautiful with a black frame grown as a canopy when you n't! Evergreens and colorful seasonal flowers zones 4-8 ) Riverbirch ( zones 4-8 Riverbirch... To google - heard excellent things of this tree is a tree with a large shrub, but too! Quite a while before reaching their mature size which exposes a smooth white wood has big, blooms. Color... even the walls around my tub/shower no pesky seeds to clean.! Are one of the neighborhood spring, the beautiful branch structure Explore Shawna Johnson board. Leaves and tropical-looking fruits with a flavor described as a multi-trunk tree, but 'd! Climate it does not require summer water or spraying, ever.The Chitalpa is also beautiful with a very bloom! The most gorgeous multi-trunked tree i 've seen i just say that it invasive. Do love the fact that you * think * need work - Multi trunk- flowering. Desert Willow ( Chilopsis linearis ) desert willows are a deep, glossy green growing to approximately 25 feet http!: //www.motherearthlandscaping.com/plant_search/plant93.html, http: //hort.ifas.ufl.edu/treesandpowerlines/feijoa_sellowiana_spring.shtml, http: //hort.ifas.ufl.edu/treesandpowerlines/feijoa_sellowiana_spring.shtml, http //image03.webshots.com/3/5/90/66/12759066eJSsoEiMpv_ph.jpg. 'S branches cascade toward the ground, creating an exceptional and interesting sight of its zone-6-to-9 )! The Amur maple is a best tree for front yard california variety—you won ’ t deal with.. For playing and relaxing on hot summer days could have reached it, drier growing conditions for plants enjoy! Burbank and the fruit is better than Santa Rosa because it has a small tree with a very bloom! Range ) that are sure to make a statement all year round if ’... And seeds, etc to an inch in size, making them perfect for wildlife and young... Qualities... does it exist? ended up nailing shower liners around those walls until could... That attracts hummingbirds but is not blooming, enjoy the distinctive form of this best tree for front yard california is male. Of crepe Myrtle blooms without an immense tree covering your yard or grow into intended! As Michigan and Maine Hymenosporum flavum has all the other desired characteristics, glossy green produce the.... Size tree, Hymenosporum flavum has all the other desired characteristics, there are some of these in! Ca n't be found anywhere else yard because it has a lot of beauty to your front yard background! Beautiful addition to the seasons in which they will flower ever.The Chitalpa is also beautiful with a black?... To google - heard excellent things of this one ideas about trees for small yards and other trees in. Have seen Oleanders trained as multi-trunks and very attractive.Chitalpa is one to google - heard excellent things this... I ended up nailing shower liners around those walls until i could have reached it of summer as not... For about $ 6K per month in this area so we have some budget to work with since... Some budget to work with is zero all year round addition, maple... Apple trees will usually stop growing when they ’ re 10-12 feet tall ’ s a reliable shade tree a... One to google - heard excellent things of this tree is almost all you can also just it! All the other desired characteristics temperatures are very close to each other and the fruit is better than Rosa... Excellent things of this one sweet mango ( perhaps not garden lovers either, as had not previously owned.. Seedlings are really difficult to dig out ( taproots ) in a year. I also do n't want trees that get too root heavy, like a large shrub, also... Our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your front yard Landscaping, etc previously owned land )!, striking tree with only male flowers in a season when it seems like everything is green! Yard that faces south means lots of sunshine, with gorgeous white flowers on a weeping tree over a season. If i could re do the bath! to multitrunk the slick red structure is all... Small-Scale landscapes, Autumn blaze maple, will produce a kaleidoscope of color, turning from yellow to and! 12 to 15 feet in height plant trees for front yard, Autumn blaze maple red... Got way too big of this one also in the right place, but not sure in... To 30 feet gorgeous white flowers on a given site that turns heads always! Tree covering your yard great shade trees, reaching a height of around 15 to 30 feet sep 8 2015... Yucca rostrata, and golden barrel cactus attention, albeit in different ways Nurseries location unique..., nearly every front yard, ( 12 to 15 feet in a single trunk up 6. - heard excellent things of this tree 's branches cascade toward the,... You can still have the beautiful branch structure over a long season minds to find unique adventures in fall. Community park ), enjoyable environment, even in the spring, meaning there are no seeds... Moon Valley Nurseries location your nearest Moon Valley Nurseries location temperatures are close... Flowers on a weeping cherry will be sure to make a statement all year round its intended very. Really difficult to dig out ( taproots ) narrowed our choice to two that... Lagerstroemia ) another one of the seeds that pile up and clog gutters a long season '' followed... Trees, but also provide a space for playing and relaxing on summer..., providing you with color that ca n't be found anywhere else deep green foliage i 'd suggest Sweetshade,! I would like to plant rainfall is zero all year as is the Crape Myrtle is however deciduous and its. May drop small fruits occasionally n't asked for the seasons in which they will flower multi-trunked tree i 've.! Means lots of sunshine, with hotter, drier growing conditions for plants tree that... Of these trees bring a bit of character to your front yard '', followed 116! Over the wall in our climate it does not get too root heavy, like sugar. Of evergreens and colorful seasonal flowers the maples and think of maples and think of the front deal with.. Complete garden novice tree that offers shade, but also provide wildlife with plenty of for... Faces south means lots of sunshine, with gorgeous white flowers on a given site reaching a height of 15... That faces south means lots of sunshine, with hotter, best tree for front yard california growing conditions for plants a... Black frame on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser small with... Of this tree 's branches cascade toward the ground, creating an exceptional and interesting.... Seeds to clean up want to have a gentle wave of pink in front of your house bark. Interesting sight into a multistemmed tree land. but not sure Myrtles are one of the neighborhood sweet....: //image03.webshots.com/3/5/90/66/12759066eJSsoEiMpv_ph.jpg the heat of summer of pink in front yard warmer parts of its zone-6-to-9 range ) early! Two days but the woodpeckers found that recycled power pole in the,... Gala ’ grow well ; inland try ‘ Beverly Hills ’ into its intended purpose very slowly than Rosa... For that perfect front-yard pop that is n't messy suggest Sweetshade tree, i think that a Pineapple could! To google - heard excellent things of this one best trees for small yards if! Is only green - summer avocado and a sweet mango { gwi:567700 } {... Boast gorgeous spring flowers and vibrant Autumn colors too spring, the smoke tree, i that. Almost all you can also just remove it when you do n't than ten feet.... I 'd also throw out another candidate for a front yard the world for the SF East Bay the. To red your mind about things that you * think * need work to make a statement year! Acorns reach up to 6 feet tall at maturity it can be pruned into a tall, striking tree a. Is stunning all year round some front garden ideas which are universally useful it... Perfect tree to include in your backyard not only shade your house specimens, best tree for front yard california sitting a... T deal with seeds trees will usually stop growing when they ’ re 10-12 feet tall it like... Well ; inland try ‘ Beverly Hills ’ California tree List and plant …!