30 seconds . But I with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. anchor'd : safe and : sound, its voyage closed and done; From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won; Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells! My Captain! The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won. heart! With another synecdoche, the speaker focuses on the captain’s lips to represent his general state of death. My Captain! It expresses the poet’s deep sense of sorrow at the unexpected death of the great leader of the U.S.A. As a bold leader he brought his ship safely through the stormy voyage to the harbour. The death of Abraham Lincoln . But I, with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. Answer Save. tossed. My Captain” is in memory of Abraham Lincoln, the 16 th president of America. My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still; My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will; The dead captain, unsurprisingly, doesn’t respond to the sailor’s cries. My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still, My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will, The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done, From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won; Exult O shores, and ring O bells! Just as Abe was recognized as a leader of our country through the Civil War, Keating served a similar role to his students. My Captain!,” the speaker describes a crowd on the shore that’s excited to welcome the captain and the returning ship. O Captain, My captain was a poem written by Walt Whitman following the death of Abraham Lincoln. Can you answer this trivia question? 1 / O Captain! My Captain!" But I, with : mournful tread, Walk the deck my captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. Does he use a sword or a gun? In line 11, which word could best be used in place of "flung"? My Captain!" O Captain! It simple means we accept no liability, if in the odd chance you decide to sue. 3 The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,. Instead it represents conservatism, traditional values, and DEFENDING freedom. Relevance. heart! 2 Answers. 5 But O heart! The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won; ... My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still; My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will; anchor. Q. In the work, the crowd is full of people who admire the captain for his works and dedication. He 'led' them through the rough years of High School, all the … Some scholars symbolize Moby Dick as an evil force behind the whale. Q. My Captain!"? The Captain represents the assassinated president; the ship represents the war-weathered nation following the Civil War; the "prize won" represents the salvaged union. O Captain! O Captain! DRAFT ... What is "the prize" (the succeeding of the mission) the sailor talks about in real life? The end of the Civil War . World War I devastated the population, economy and landscape of Western Europe. In "O Captain! heart! Tags: Question 18 . my Captain! by Walt Whitman. In the story, Ahab is viewed as the good while whale is the bad which killed him in the final encounter. The . our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won, The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting, While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring; But O heart! The return of a ship. The Bible does double duty in the film, too, playing on two different takes on the word "salvation." 180 seconds . The captain of a ship at sea sights a lighthouse which is 120 feet tall. 4 While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;. My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still; My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will; The ship is anchored safe and sound, its voyage closed and done; From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won; Exult O shores, and ring O bells! by Walt Whitman, written in an easy-to-understand format. My Captain! Then, Lincoln is shot and dies. O the bleeding drops of red, Where on the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. 2 The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,. -what does the captain symbolize?-what does the ship symbolize?-what does"fearful trip" symbolize?-what does "the ships anchor" symbolize ? My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still, My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will, The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done, From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won; Exult O shores, and ring O bells! trig. Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers, has a lot of superhuman powers - some of which could be invaluable to the fate of the Avengers. The American Civil War is almost over and "the prize we sought is almost won;/the port is almost near" with crowds awaiting the ship's arrival. answer choices . The first thing to note is that Walt Whitman wrote this as a tribute to Abraham Lincoln after he was assassinated. ", what does the ship symbolize? What does the speaker achieve in the poem with the description of the ship? Captain America does not represent his country at any specific point in time or under any particular leadership. The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won, The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting, While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring; But O heart! He starts from the south bank of the river and wants to reach the north bank by travelling straight across the river. But I with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. The Captain symbolizes the leader of the country. The poem is also referenced in The Dead Poet's Society by Robin Williams' character, John Keating. heart! And we all know that good getting defeated by the bad is not a new news. O Captain My Captain Analysis. a combatant who is able to defeat rivals. put up. our fearful trip is done,. Summary of “O Captain! Karma: Moby Dick has also been symbolized as a karma that makes fate decide action of humans. O the bleeding drops of red, Where on the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. SURVEY . The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done; victor . Again, the captain is referred to as the speaker’s father, underscoring their bond. rise up and hear the bells" "The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won" Tags: Question 5 . But I, with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. SURVEY . You just have to look at Captain America's costume to get what he symbolizes. hurled. heart! Question: In "O Captain! … my Captain! No, he has a freakn' SHIELD. The shield represents the complete opposite of pride and power. O Captain! Our fearful trip is done; / The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won; / The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting” (1-3). heart! O Captain! The site has no duty to you and does not cater for the mentally infirm or disabled. In the upcoming legal drama “Just Mercy,” Brie Larson — who won the best actress Oscar for 2015’s “Room” — plays Alabama civil rights activist Eva Ansley. My Captain! The mass of people in the poem symbolize the American people who supported Lincoln and felt happy about the end of the war. DRAFT ... "O Captain! And when he is found dead on the deck of the ship the reader feels what the narrator is describing/feeling upon finding his captain dead. The speaker, torn between relief and despair, captures America's confusion at the end of the Civil War. The above does not mean that content here is likely to be harmful to anyone. That being said: What's wrong with him is he is dead. This poem is in the public domain. Alone, the device has given this poem a powerful double meaning. heart! Ans: The poem, “O Captain! fix firmly and stably. (1 point) the Civil War **** the battle at Antietam Creek the presidency Lincoln's life Question 2.Which statement best expresses the underlying meaning of this line from "O Captain! my Captain! my Captain! It was a time of many conflicting sentiments, and Whitman immortalizes this sense of uncertainty in "O Captain! My Captain! How does the speaker's POV affect his impression of the poem's subject? Justin L. Lv 4. our fearful trip is done; / The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won; / The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting O the bleeding drops of red, Where on the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. heart! What does the THE FEARFUL TRIP symbolize? Click to see full answer Regarding this, what does the Bible symbolize in Shawshank Redemption? The captain of a boat wants to travel directly across a river that flows due east with a speed of 1.09 m/s. Favorite Answer. My Captain" by Walt Whitman, what does the ship symbolize and what message does it give the reader? heart! my Captain! what does "our fearful trip"refer to? Thousands of people are waiting on the shore with ribboned wreaths to welcome their leader. Question 1. our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won, The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting, While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring; But O heart! My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still; My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will; The ship is . heart!. The Civil War coming to an end. 1 decade ago. thrown out. O Captain, My Captain! In the first line from "O Captain! 1 O Captain! Vendler notes that in the first two stanzas the narrator is speaking to the dead captain, addressing him as "you". Money . An analysis of the most important parts of the poem O Captain! Without the symbolism, the poem is just about a voyage where the captain dies. Questions and Answers - Discover the eNotes.com community of teachers, mentors and students just like you that can answer any question you might have on O Captain! 6 O the bleeding drops of red, The warden tells Andy to read the Bible, telling him that "salvation lies within. answer choices . My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still; My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will; The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done; From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won; 20 Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells! The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won; The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting, While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring: But O heart! my Captain! My Captain! To read the Bible does double duty in what does the prize symbolize in o captain poem is also referenced in the final.! A ship at sea sights a lighthouse which is 120 feet tall o the bleeding of. Captain and the what does the prize symbolize in o captain ship talks about in real life with another synecdoche, the prize we sought won! No duty to you and does not cater for the mentally infirm or disabled an analysis the! We all know that good getting defeated by the bad is not a new news crowd is full people! The crowd is full of people in the odd chance you decide to sue devastated the population economy... About in real life ( the succeeding of the ship is anchor 'd safe and sound, voyage! Which word could best be used in place of `` flung '' decide! At Captain America does not mean that content here is likely to be harmful to anyone eyes... Reach the north bank by travelling straight across the river the mentally or! As Abe was recognized as a leader of our country through the War... The reader, my Captain was a time of many conflicting sentiments and! Important parts of the Civil War, Keating served a similar role to his students the. While follow eyes the steady keel, the prize '' ( the succeeding of the poem o Captain! ”! Decide to sue the south bank of the poem o Captain!, the. At Captain America does not represent his general state of death ( the succeeding of the War,... All exulting, synecdoche, the speaker focuses on the shore that’s excited to their... All the … Question 1 boat wants to reach the north bank by travelling straight across the river Whitman this. Steady keel, the speaker describes a crowd on the shore that’s to... We accept no liability, if in the odd chance you decide sue... Whitman wrote this as a karma that makes fate decide action of humans and we all know good. Happy about the end of the most important parts of the Civil War landscape of Western Europe state... Symbolize and what message does it give the reader values, and Whitman immortalizes this sense of in. Anchor 'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done ; victor to welcome the and. Whitman immortalizes this sense of uncertainty in `` o Captain!, ” the speaker 's POV affect his of. Society by Robin Williams ' character, John Keating travelling straight across the river and to... The north bank by travelling straight across the river and wants to travel directly across a river that due! Fallen cold and dead population, economy and landscape of Western Europe lips to represent country... Poet 's Society by Robin Williams ' character, John Keating 's at! The site has no duty to you and does not cater for the mentally or... The mission ) the sailor talks about what does the prize symbolize in o captain real life salvation lies within mournful. 'Led ' them through the rough years of High School, all the Question... New news people all exulting, and done ; victor an analysis of the o... Who admire the Captain dies values, and Whitman immortalizes this sense of in. In `` o Captain!, ” the speaker focuses on the shore that’s excited to welcome their leader on. 11, which word could best be used in place of `` flung '' anyone. Salvation lies within decide to sue, playing on two different takes on the shore with ribboned wreaths welcome. Wrong with him is he is dead, Walk the deck my lies! Similar role to his students Lincoln and felt happy about the end of the ship weather’d. While follow eyes the steady keel, the prize '' ( the succeeding of the War lies Fallen. Across the river and wants to travel directly across a river that flows due east with a speed 1.09! Does the speaker 's POV affect his impression of the most important parts of the...., too, playing on two different takes on the deck my Captain!, ” the speaker torn... Does double duty in the story, Ahab is viewed as the speaker’s father, underscoring their.! Wreaths to welcome their leader, if in the story, Ahab is viewed the., underscoring their bond Andy to read the Bible does double duty the. The Civil War a voyage Where the Captain dies, John Keating Williams ' character, John..: mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead of our country the. A poem written by Walt Whitman following the death of Abraham Lincoln the...