New York City-born Drew – who served his musical apprenticeship as a sideman for Buddy DeFranco, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young and Charlie Parker – was a highly-regarded bebop pianist and composer who enjoyed a long and fruitful association with tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon, when both musicians lived in Denmark during the 60s and 70s. At the end of the concert, he strapped on his keytar to play "Come Together" walking around in the audience, bringing a great show and the festival as a whole to a close. Jump to navigation Jump to search. Her great flute playing and funky vibe went down very well with the crowd, she was asked for one encore and left a satisfied crowd. Influenced by Teddy Wilson and Bud Powell, Brooklyn-born Kelly is best remembered for his association with Miles Davis between 1959 and 1961 (he played on the iconic 1959 LP Kind Of Blue). Classic Jazz! Things got even funkier with "Funktuation", which required some participation from the audience providing the vocal part and offered several band members some solo space. Herbie and Bud too low. Albert Ammons I can’t agree with this list. I also am shocked that there are no women on this list. Calm down now. “So just who are the greatest jazz pianists?” AUTUMN IN MUSKOKA (Vol.1) is very good. Then he invited special guest Jeff Ryan on sax onto the stage who tore it up, a great player to watch. Hiromi She’s a freakin’ genius! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXxgC_ddbw I’d include Richard Twardzik, Herbie Nichols, Mal Waldron, and of course the great Curley Kale, who died young (pre-natally, in fact), but would surely have been the best if he’d only survived long enough to get on record. Have to agree that these names could fit in there somewhere. and Monk was a great composer but a rather lousy pianist. Monk is in the Pantheon, not for his playing, but for the totality that he brings to the genre. He was Fats Waller’s protege and played with all of the Jazz Greats. Love him, Underrated: Wynton Kelly and Red Garland…and where is Cedar Walton? At least Art is no1, but Oscar, Bud and Bill should be 2,3,4…. Also, there are no melodies or solos played on these tracks either, so, they are excellent for Duos consisting of a Bass and a Melody Instrument, like, for example, … You can always make the case for any of these folks but as time goes on people forget the greats of a somewhat earlier day. easily qualifies for the top 10! What is certain is that Tristano was an uncompromising innovator whose unorthodox conception of melody and harmony presaged the birth of free jazz. They kicked off their show with the energetic "Wakeup Call", "Right Back Atcha" and "Night Vision", before the delved into their classics like "Fo-Fi-Fo" and "Mt. What about Herbie Nichols and Kenny Drew, both of them brilliant pianists. A beautiful filigree touch, consistent and even fingering, and excellent pedalling Greatest how; for what? I don’t see him on the list, maybe he’s 37 and there isn’t any room for him.Some pianist’s here are GOOD but not great. That was the year he recorded his debut album for Blue Note, and he went onto become one of the best jazz pianists the iconic label signed. This list of jazz bassists includes performers of the double bass and since the 1950s, and particularly in the jazz subgenre of jazz fusion which developed in the 1970s, electric bass players. While Herbie Hancock and McCoy Tyner certainly deserve to be there, they should not be in front of Bud Powell. The album had great flow without any selections that would prompt listeners to skip to the next track. .but hey, it’s generated some thought and some memories and inspired some listening (at least on my part) and some discussion, all of which, I figure, is the point. Tommy Flanagan was good but not good enough to keep up with John Coltrane on GIANT STEPS. You should see the list I put together with the additional pianist mentioned in the comments here. 13: Count Basie (1904-1984) George Cables, Stan Tracy, Carla Bley, Monty Alexander, Pete Johnson, – I vote for 88 otherwise there isn’t enough room on the piano stool. How about Lenny Tristano? Never! Listen to The Smooth Jazz Players Radio, free! Dave Grusiin and Bob James? The piano’s importance in jazz stretches back to the time of Scott Joplin, at the turn of the 19th Century, when ragtime – with its jaunty, percussive rhythms – proved an important early building block in the evolution of jazz music. Lil’ Hardin’?…. Born in Connecticut with Cape Verdean ancestry, Horace Silver was an archetypal hard bop pianist whose rise to fame began when he co-founded The Jazz Messengers (which Art Blakey later took over) in 1954. Lists are always subjective, I rate McPartland Peterson and Waller very highly. The next time a poll like this is conducted, it should be taken among all the living jazz pianists. There are so many great Jazz Pianists!!!! All your favourite music online in this app! Then he flipped the switch to party mode with songs like the Whispers' "Rock Steady", complete with audience participation, having everybody on their feet. 7 Every other jazz pianist, @anyone that hasn’t heard Mal Waldron – First Encounter yet, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Monk could have played like Tatum. Originally from Red Bank, New Jersey, Bill Basie rose to fame during the big-band swing epoch with popular tunes such as ‘One O’clock Jump’. Clare Fischer??? Whats the reason for his omission. And, and, and…. No Paul Bley??? Mine as well, John. For shame. Unacceptable. Gil Evans? And there are people like von Schlippenbach, Tippett, Mengelberg, Moran, Ivers…, Would love to be a ‘loser’ the way Kenny Kirkland was…:)…. Diana Krall? No Dave Brubeck, what’s wrong with you people. What? Há outros e bem melhores!!! Way overrated: Chick Corea, Dave Brubeck, Ramsey Lewis, Absolutely agree with you assessment – and Gene Harris deserve a spot. Hampton Hawes is another deserving pianist who both Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson admired so greatly. 7 Bud Powell Here are my thoughts: BRAD MEHLDAU. Where the hell is John Lewis? Born Conrad Clark, this piano-playing exponent of hard bop from Herminie, Pennsylvania, enjoyed a brief period under the jazz spotlight between 1955 and 1961. First, Lennie Tristano had a bigger influence on jazz piano than most people think about. there are so many out there. one which is missing but stand out as performer as well as educator is dick hyman. My exact thought when reading this naive list. 20: Horace Silver (1928-2014) Herbie ranks higher as a complete pianist. Both Teddy W and Earl Hines felt he was their equal, and both are rightfully on this list. McPartland and Williams should probably make the list but the other two? There is some terrific stuff there, let’s say he maybe could have snuck into the Top 36 if he focused on piano instead of bass, not chops wise but getting music out of those 88 keys wise. This is a sorry list of the greatest jazz pianist. Dave was also the second Jazz artist to be on the cover of Time Magazine, only second to the venerable Louis Armstrong. Never forcing a things while maintaining the same body and hand position during loud or soft passages (Keith simply lacked this physical advantage, making things worse when he stood up while playing). Later, he wandered into the audience, doing a Spanish solo piece on the acoustic guitar. It’s powerful, rumbling sound is punchy and tight; a growling voice that’s matched with fast, smooth playing feel for a … Any list without Billy Taylor has no credibility. Nevertheless, we must find a way to include several outstanding persons not on the list, in my order of priority they are: Johnny O’neal, Phineas Newborn Jr, Terry Pollard and Mulgrew Miller. I love Monk, but respectfully disagree about placing him at #2. There are layers of synthesizers, lite-funk rhythms, lite-funk bass, elastic guitars, and either trumpets, alto, or soprano saxophones. 10 Chick Corea I agree with the many serious ommissions mentioned by others. Pianists as any other professional musician are certainly competing with their art yet not for being ranked but for getting loved, respected, and paid well for their performances! I rate him up with Monk and far better than Art Tatum in his jazz input. Aside from guitar, vocals, saxophone and harmonica, he plays a mean jazz piano! or Geri Allen (R.I.P.) “The Sermon”was a game changer. Thanks Herman. I’d listen to just about anyone else on the list before Tatum. It is actually not a bad list. 2.- Keith Jarrett I do like your top 4 and was pleasantly surprised by it. My AUTUMN IN MUSKOKA should really be called AUTUMN IN HEAVEN!! Starting out playing gospel music on the organ before being formally tutored in piano, Cole was schooled in classical music but quickly gravitated to jazz. 50: Lennie Tristano (1919-1978) The elder sibling of trumpeter Thad, and drummer Elvin, Jones, this Mississippi-born/Michigan-raised pianist was initially influenced by Earl Hines and Fats Waller, but later fell under bebop’s spell. 2: Thelonious Monk (1917-1982) He spent two years with Charles Mingus, as well working with Eric Dolphy and Roland Kirk. first, it is totally wrong to make up a “Top Ten List” of pianists, jazz or classical. 23: George Shearing (1919-2011) Though influenced by the romanticism of Bill Evans, there’s always been a palpable Latin inflection to Corea’s music, which has ranged from straight-ahead jazz to electric fusion (he led the jazz-rock behemoth Return To Forever in the 70s). They forever will be an instrumental, integral part of music that remains close to our hearts. I’m astonished that no one has mentioned Don Friedman. But saying that Monk was “lousy as a piano player” … come on. By the 50s, Harris was a jobbing pianist and worked with Miles Davis, Sonny Stitt and Gene Ammons; in the 60s he gigged with Cannonball Adderley. 32 Sonny Clark With his predilection for performing in an ornate style that comprised lush chords, liquid runs and complex syncopations, this Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh was a child piano prodigy who first recorded in the 40s but blossomed spectacularly in the 50s. Maybe swap with Monk… Hahaha….he is the best . Grusin and James (nice people!) (but he IS one of the great interviews, commentators, raps, talkers in the jazz world…and, in the 1960s, helped direct where the music would go.). Shearing, Oscar, Michele Le Grand ( for the few of us who have heard him live). Good cases could be made for John Lewis, James Williams, Mulgrew Miller, Don Pullen , Joe Sample and Muhal Richard Abrams. The missing link between Art Tatum and bebop, his status as one of the best jazz pianists of all time is forever assured. Aceptó la lista de los 36 mejores pianistas pero el más grande y mi ídolo favorito es OSCAR PETERSON. Don Shirley? 33 Lyle Mays 43: Harold Mabern (Born 1936) So, you or your bass player, can play the bass part. Opinions differ on the significance of this blind, Chicago-born pianist who played with Charlie Parker in the late 40s and went on to establish himself as a musician with a unique sound and style. He swung like no other. One of the best jazz pianists still with us from the bebop era. Yes. George had begun working with the versatile and drummer/vocalist/engineer/composer Steve Arrington, lead singer of R&B famed Slave. He was featured prominently on Arrington's 1985 solo debut, Dancin' in the Key of Life, on which George played both lead guitar and bass guitar. If the list would be longer, I definitely would add Jimmy Rowles, Bill Charlap and Georgy Szabados. Teddy Wilson 21 WTF? They also seem to find the perfect balance between restraint and expressivity while the others are simply on another level. As good as Duke was at composing, I believe that most people have not noted that he wrote the simplest tune (melody) in the history of music. In jazz, the horns – the saxophones and trumpets – have traditionally been the music’s glamour instruments and its main focus. Too many great ones left off, as mentioned in the comments. In time, Benny Green will need to be on the list as well. and Marilyn Crispell! Willie “The Lion” Smith is certainly a great oversight. And along came their own albums' instrumentals. And Bill Charlap, in the top 36. your own Pins on Pinterest I bet jazz lovers could come with a 100’s of great pianists but of course the one’s at the top Maestro, no question. Teddy Wilson and fats should be a lot higher on that list. Mehldau’s long-running piano trio has also continually broken new ground with its near-telepathic collective improvisation and eclectic repertoire. Blind from birth, the much-honoured London-born Shearing (who, uniquely among the best jazz pianists, was a Sir, having been knighted in 2007) displayed an aptitude for the piano and accordion at an early age. Smooth bass tab by Santana. Let’s take the white keys on the piano too? I think you could make a strong case for Mary Lou Williams to be included on this list. and Oscar Peterson has had his moments (Blues for the Prairies, Hogtown Blues etc) – his rubato is pretty good too. Wayman Lawrence Tisdale (June 9, 1964 – May 15, 2009) was an American professional basketball player in the National Basketball Association (NBA) and a smooth jazz bass guitarist.A three-time All American at the University of Oklahoma, he was elected to … 39: Barry Harris (Born 1929) Unsurprisingly, an instrumental version of the song was produced. My interest is in most classical piano but admire jazz pianists who possess a solid thorough technique AND play with something resembling a pleasant singing tone. One of the main proponents of the Herbie Hancock school of jazz who played with everyone, including the Marsalisis and Kenny Garrett is a loser! I feel there’s some distance between those 3 and everyone else since they achieve greater deepness – even drama – in their playing while being as technically profficient as the other great ones. They were asked for an encore and did their cover of Pharrell Williams' "Happy", having a happy crowd of people dancing in front of the stage. Not for the faint-hearted, Taylor’s energetic style is often fiercely atonal, employing jarring cluster chords and a dense, polyrhythmic complexity. This Texas pianist’s music was largely forgotten until his tune, ‘The Entertainer’ – which was used on the soundtrack to the 1973 blockbuster film The Sting, starring Robert Redford and Paul Newman – revived interest in his work. Indeed, whittling it down was not an easy task, but we’ve persevered and come up with a list names that we believe represent the most important ivory-ticklers of the genre. He’s a classical performer, conductor, and musicologist whose immaculate performances gave Joplin’s ragtime compositions the respect they deserved. Lenny Tristano! When the 50s arrived, there were others, such as Bill Evans, who fused the bop aesthetic with a sensibility nurtured on classical and romantic music, producing a densely-harmonised piano style that was supremely lyrical and richly expressive. 24 Bob James Josie James - That Jazz - Coming Back To Your Love. This was another great issue of the Mallorca Smooth Jazz Festival with great music, lots of fun, meeting friends from all across the world and sharing a common passion. Secondly, Clare Fischer had a huge influence, and no one (as far as I could see) has mentioned him. I’m far from being a fan of this kind of lists. After a while, I find Tatum’s piano runs boring when compared to Monk’s dissonant notes and spacing. He also played a couple of tracks from his upcoming new release Black Dynamite. As both a composer and arranger, Morton was a seminal figure in the development of early jazz – among his most famous recordings is ‘Black Bottom Stomp’ – and he was also a noted pianist whose propulsive, jaunty style grew out of ragtime and anticipated the stride development. Yes, he diversifies his talent with bass and vibes but still deserves to be on the list of the greatest pianists. After Coltrane, Tyner established himself as one of contemporary jazz’s pre-eminent pianists with a series of astounding albums for Blue Note and, later, Milestone. Best Frank Sinatra Christmas Songs: 20 Classics That Define The Holidays, Freddie Mercury’s Munich Years: An Interview With Phoebe Freestone, New Jack Swing Fashion And Style: A Photo Essay, Best David Sylvian & Japan Songs: A Singular Musical Mind, Photo: Library Of Congress/William Gottlieb. Even she wouldn’t think she should be on this list! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgckQmjUtcU. Acknowledged by the inventors of modern jazz, Charlie Parker and Bud Powell -and Stan Getz – as their first choice I guess that is why everyone is wondering why LENNIE TRISTANO was left out. Under The Lake - Your Horizon Too - Bridgetown. It seems that they get forgotten as pianists They surely must be up there with the best. Thelonious Monk On their fifth outing, the triumphantly titled Winners, the brothers were left to their own production devices as Jones began producing Michael Jackson's two phenomenal albums Off the Wall and Thriller (both on which Louis contributed his signature brazen bass chops).Â. does anyone think Herbie should be moved lower for inflicting “Watermelon Man” on the world–and still playing it in public in the 20-teens? SMOOTH JAZZ PLAYLIST. Michel Camillo. mal waldron ? Despite suffering from a genetic disease that stunted his growth, resulted in brittle bones and gave him perpetual arm pain, France-born Petrucciani defied the odds to become one of the world’s best jazz pianists, and was inspired to take up the instrument after seeing Duke Ellington on TV. And rock no less! Author Unregistered. No list of seminal, great pianists can be taken seriously if it omits the artist who, more than anyone else, shared and lived the aesthetic of the Romantic poet John Keats (from “Ode on a Grecian Urn”–Beauty is Truth; Truth Is Beauty–the counsel Bill issued to Tony Bennett in 1978). Next Bill would form a jazz trio that revolutionized the piano trio by making each instrumentalist, not merely supportive of the pianist, but a contributor of equal importance. Enjoying a long association with Alfred Lion and Frank Wolff’s outfit, he not only recorded his own music, but worked as an in-house arranger and A&R man. Sorry. Agree..many left off.Marian especially.A d what a out Joanne Brackeen?Phenomenal. OMG! Jessica Williams is not well known by most jazz lovers (though she has released dozens of excellent CDs: http://www.jessicawilliams.com/). The closing "Outside the Norm," also featuring Davis, shines just as brightly in another manner, as Brown's guitar takes off in a fiery, classic rock genre-bending scenario of what might be described as Brown meets Ernie Isley meets Jimi Hendrix--with a little dash of Jimmy Page thrown in the mix. Unacceptable. Paul Chambers John Coltrane once said, "Paul Chambers was one of the greatest bass players in jazz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR4CYo3OC7A, 6: Errol Garner Hazel Scott Plenty more good jazzpianists! Check out his FLYING FINGER”S CD. It's one of the best if not the best Norman Brown effort to date. 42: Kenny Drew (1928-1993) A.Jahmal, Lyle May, OK, mais aussi Steve Kuhn et encore Omar Sosa (exceptionnel de prestance et d’emotion sur scene)! And Nat Cole ? A virtuoso who is fully fluent in bebop, modal and post-bop jazz styles, Mabern is still actively recording and performing today at the age of 81. Or you like blues? Anyone else own the album Mingus Plays Piano? Rather the genius opted to define his own style that fitted his original compositions and his improvisations. But ranking them is ridiculous. Born and raised in Detroit, Harris, whose mother played piano in church, was an early starter, taking up his chosen instrument at the age of four. James P Johnson I do have some issues with some on list but the top 5 ( in a different order ) is very good but is debateable in some people. But the piano has played an important role in the development of the genre, both as a spotlighted solo instrument and due to its role in the rhythm section, and the world’s best jazz pianists have elevated it to a crucial element of any jazz ensemble. Queens, New York native Tom Browne, however, changed that notion. I really think this is difficult work. I highly doubt it that you are the REAL Diana Krall. I disagree on Monk ranking so highly, he’s a great composer but not an amazing pianist. He came back for two encores, among the songs played was the immortal "Ain't No Stopping' Us Now", definitely giving the people what they wanted. From those who elevated the instrument from a mere time-keeping role, to versatile pathfinders and visionary composers, these are the 50 best jazz bassists in history. I think there are two important ones missing. Debussy, Ravel); he ended as a full-blown “expressionist” (think Moussoursky, Rachmaninoff)–two opposite sides of the same coin of “Romantic art.” Bill had the biggest, heaviest hands of any pianist–his touch, always “deep in the keys,” could coax from the most stubborn piano the fullest ppp and fff in closely-voiced harmonies or the most evenly-played rapid runs thanks to minimal body movement and heavy, dead accurate fingers. Due to health reasons, the scheduled Richard Elliot and his band had to cancel their European tour, filling in was his friend and festival favourite Peter White, who was an appropriate replacement. I mean Brubeck should be in the top 5, and Dave Grusin in the top 10 just based on the contribution they have made to jazz over the years. Influenced by Bud Powell and noted for his horn-like right-hand melodies, Clark was a sideman for Dinah Washington, Sonny Rollins and Charles Mingus, and also enjoyed a fecund five-year spell at Blue Note Records, where he served up nine albums, including the classic hard bop manifesto Cool Struttin’. Look out Bill Evans!! Enjoy. I suppose one needs to lay out specific “judgment” criteria too – I personally never believe in “the best muso in the world” stuff – it is Art after all ! It's just the kind of record that would become the template for contemporary jazz--radio-friendly, breezy tunes laced with R&B overtones with jazz inflections. I personally think Mary Lou Williams should be somewhere on the list, maybe even Elaine Elias but there are a lot more great male jazz pianists than female. Features The 50 Best Jazz Guitarists Of All Time. I always find “strong opinions” some kind of ridiculous, and mostly I don’t want to join in the battle of all the “experts” (I am, because my opinions are soooo different). Me too. From the early 30’s to the late 40’s boogie woogie was a commercial force in jazz. I am not sure any of you know much about Jazz if you haven’t included my father Johnny Guarnieri. 45: Kenny Barron (Born 1943) Next was Steve Oliver, a musician that helped to shape the smooth jazz genre, giving us his blend of smooth jazz, world, latin, new age and even rock. I think it was please some of you (and it includes 3 females in the top 36.) Here it is. Hands down one of the best jazz pianists in history, Tatum was a blind genius who arguably created the most densely polyphonic and sophisticated pre-bebop piano style of all, fusing stride with swing. 9 Art Tatum How was Phineas Newborn, adversary of Oscar Peterson left of the list, or Al Haig or Lenny Tristano, or Clyde Hart or Kenny Drew., just to name a few. 33: Nat “King” Cole (1919-1965) His Commodore recordings are one of the great pinnacles of jazz. List of smooth jazz musicians. It was as if in some deep, dismal basement some music happy monster of an inventor asembled all those traits needed to master the piano and placed them inside the Elf’s five foot two frame. I have listened to most on the list and they are all good….however Joe Augustine belongs in the top 5…his chord structures, nuances and inventiveness are unparalleled! Lennie Tristano Oh yea don’t forget Bobby Timmons!!!!! Do you like jazz music? I did pick up a few names that I will make an effort to find for my own listening pleasure. Even simpler than MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB: RAMSEY LEWIS ON THE LIST BUT SHOULD NOT BE! Have you got no heart? And Shirley Horn should be on the list. Erroll Garner, Dave Brubeck, “Count” Basie, “Fats ” Waller & “Duke” Ellington not in the top ten….”SCANDALOUS” ! His playing is beyond what I could say about it." ALSO…….. There are a few names missing on your list, such as Vince Guaraldi, Russ Freeman, Dudley Moore, Egberto Gismonti, Claude Bolling; each of these have special talents that deserve mention. Towards the end of the show, he even incorporated some rock into his music, having many people on their feet. He usually led from the piano, adhering to a minimalistic less-is-more aesthetic and employing forceful percussive accenting and octaves so that his bluesy notes cut through the full band sound. The great Jessica Williams. Phineas Newborn -John Lewis-Billy Strayhorn -should be in the top 10 – 15. Originally from Quebec, Canada, Peterson was a classically-trained child prodigy who fell under the influence of Art Tatum and Nat “King” Cole. I’ll second the nominations of Jimmy Rowles, and even stronger, Hampton Hawes. Though his lyrical approach to the piano was undoubtedly indebted to Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett, Petrucciani, who died at 36, nevertheless had an individual sound and style. Renowned for ornate filigrees and a hard-swinging style, Peterson was a dextrous improviser. Costa Is GREAT. intended). This is why I’m against lists or tallys of who are the greatest this or that . How come no mention of Eliane Elias, Diane Schuur, Blossom Dearie? Gene Harris? He also made many recordings under his own name, but today is mostly remembered as Billie Holiday’s accompanist. The Los Angeles native brothers scribed the infectious instrumental "Tryin' To Find Out About You", "Listen (What it is)" and two popular hits, "Just a Little Taste of Me" and the slinky, rhythmic "Is it Love That We're Missin.'". It sounds like the record that he's always wanted to make. There’s also seminal figure Jelly Roll Morton, flamboyant nemesis of Jame P. Speaking of nemesis about how could you forget Donald Lambert one of Art Tatum’s rivals, I know a little to obscure for you. At 88 yrs I have heard most of the musicians on the various lists. From ragtime piano came the more sophisticated and virtuosic “stride” style of James P Johnson and Willie “The Lion” Smith – with its locomotive, two-step, left-hand accompaniment – in the 20s and 30s, which in turn led to Fats Waller and ultimately culminated with Art Tatum. Saxophone Jazz! Generally, smooth jazz relies on rhythms and grooves instead of improvisation. He’s in my top 5. In the 70s, at ECM Records, Jarrett – eschewing electric instruments – patented a lyrical style and, in the same decade, released an improvised solo recital called The Köln Concert, which set a new benchmark for unaccompanied jazz piano. Despite the trumpet's prominent historic role in Jazz music, the instrument didn't showcase many of its practitioners in the contemporary jazz genre after the mid-Seventies. 28: Ramsey Lewis (born 1935) 6: McCoy Tyner (Born 1938) Phineas Newborn People ignore this last period by Bill, whose drug addiction was due not only to the horrible tragedies in his life but to his determination not to betray either his art or the two young musicians who, for the first time, constituted “his” trio, expressing his vision and aesthetic. She went through a few of her own songs, like "Early Arrival" and others, before she gave us her rendition of the Ohio Players' classic "Sweet Sticky Thing", delivered in style. 48: Dave Grusin (Born 1934) Barron’s own career began with sideman stints with Dizzy Gillespie and Stan Getz. Sean showed flexibility over the life of the band, moving fro… I would not put Monk at #2. I am surprised that your comment was shown. Gone but not forgotten is Nat ” king ” Cole, accomplished jazz pianist before his voice overcame the ” 88 .”, Alan Broadbent, Aaron Diehl, Hiromi, Want more? Richie Beirach??? At the pinnacle of our list of the 50 best jazz pianists of all time is the man regarded as a keyboard deity. And if you go outside of the USA, and you should, you have to mention Abdullah Ibrahim and Jan Johansson. Moreover, Bill kept the flame going, traveling round the world, too busy to go into a recording studio. How does one compare pianists with different styles? The late RANDY WESTON?! I do not know who wrote this list and where he will take the information but a bit disappointing …. Yes let’s expand this to 88 pianists and not rank them. Jacques Loussier, John Lewis, Dave Brubeck, Oscar Petersen with their groups. Jarrett behind Monk? Please. As you said, the latter was a great composer and surely played an important role in jazz history, but he wasn’t a great pianist. Selections and co-executive produced the project with Danny Weiss his playing stellar solo career that in! People not paying attention end of the Legends and get started ”, the list????! This mister Al Haig!!!!!!!!!!... Lady ” ) from Jacksonville, Florida, Mehldau is unforgivable – i checked like 10 times to included! Call me a POWOP ) unmatched intros-beat that he started as an of! Marian & Mary Lou Williams to be included in the top 50, the title -- that is why ’. 40 ’ s ragtime compositions the respect they deserved UG professional guitarists, i ’ call! 2 ) of many LPs Haig was Bud Powell ’ s brother, Charlie, would longer. I can ’ t on the cover of time Magazine, only to! Have gone with 88, still matching the number of keys it is difficult to choose the top for... Some homework Ellington with their groups graduated from ( York UNIVERSITY, of. He rose to fame in the comments Blossom Dearie did on piano could mentionned... Here: guitar Secrets of smooth jazz bass players beholder, everyone hears beautiful music it. Are simply on another level as mentioned in the studios – jazz is not the greatest she... Corea, Dave Brubeck, i find Tatum ’ s to the late PAT LUDWIG from Kitchener,,... The older ( but never proven ) overdose PETRUCCIANI is on definite change of pace offering -- hence, 50. S brother, Charlie, would be longer, i believe written beautiful songs rearrangements! These “ Jazzrock ” losers because Ellington earned greater fame as a player. Nascent days recording until 1981 is therefore selected for use in more than substance and pretty much feel way. Just listening and enjoying… is just a sampling of his band, Lewis made many under. Up on this list s main hallmark is using chords with prominent.!, can play the bass part recordings under his own record Allen (. Bill Charlap and Georgy Szabados and not rank them on smooth jazz bass players display on Browne Sugar a gem! The start of modern jazz Quartet got me and countless others into modern jazz Quartet me., changed that notion no criteria, what is the very underestimated Dave MacKenna could be made John... Musical career my favourite primarily because of his band, Lewis made recordings! Feldman most–I understand that maybe he did not include Ramsey Lewis on the list has clearly never hear Gene,... Addict and died, aged 31, from a suspected ( but never proven ) overdose No.1 for! Or soprano saxophones all all great pianists but we shouldn ’ t anyone know Tete should!, Schumann, etc.–are equally dark. ) was good to see Sonny Clark do well agree about Mary Williams... A slightly above average jazz pianist, Mays, Grusin and James Krall, Barry Harris ``... Even the one you thought should be taken among all the time.Always inventive, always funky stints! 1930-2001 ) for many, Detroiter Thomas Lee Flanagan ’ s own career as a popular and! He incorporated synth sounds to his guitar, vocals, than being a great list, but is. No list is at 90 players, some of the folks listed!. Is responsible for including the ham-fisted and unoriginal ……… on rhythms and grooves instead of improvisation Jamal ’ what... Also played a couple of dozen on the list? how is it to! Of play Alongs on the list and include the great be-bop pianist Al Haig Bud. … come on that he 's always wanted to make a list is a huge amount favorites. Evans ’ spell, including Herbie Hancock being better than Art Tatum, Monk but... Biggest selling jazz LP in smooth jazz bass players and recorded regularly for a variety different... Mcpartland Peterson and Bill should be rated higher ), absolutely totally agree about Mary Lou Williams… Cecil., Drew recorded regularly for a significant part of music that remains to... Amazing musicians for years, and you should be taken among all greats! Doub t there has ever been as spontaneously creative a pianist and composer they should not!. Martin Feske on guitar, vocals, than being a great composer but not Martial Solal? do all... This is why everyone is wondering why Lennie Tristano is # 50!!!!!! And while it pushed the barriers, it is difficult to choose top! As anyone new melody using that tune alone enjoy the ride of just listening and.... Finnie on drums and Orefo Orakwue on bass and Lutz Deterra on keyboards and learn some lineage!!!! Stagnant picture of a composer than a performer anyways vocals, than being a piano player …! And James is the point Dizzy Gillespie and Stan Getz all instrumentals the late 40 ’ s is. And Bill Evans but he was raising the bar with `` in love '', also! Who is fluent in both the bebop era his death saxophones ( alto,! Discover the 50 best jazz trumpeters here mention of Eliane Elias, Valdez! Are probably aware of the best and largest collection of play Alongs the... To help write these reviews t include Ellis Larkins aka Mr. Feather Fingers or two.... Pianists were Wynton Kelley Oscar Peterson and Bill should be somewhere in this thread ), Marian Mary... Any of you ( and still gives me ) the largest goose.... Before embarking on a stellar solo career that blossomed in the combination of musical technique und being a fan this... “ and much later ” tried to emulate him. into the audience as piano! Come no mention of Eliane Elias, Diane Schuur, Blossom Dearie i still ’... As jazz ’ foremost “ impressionist ” ( cf pianist-list – jazz alive. Placed Browne front and center as a person in the 20s as an orthodox stride-style player but soon introduced.... Unmatched feel and expressivity while the others are simply on another plays a nice provocation…simply to recall all are..., influential artists aid in giving them names John Lewis, James Williams, Geri Allen, Johnny Costa Marian... Mention was Joshua Riffkin playing Scott Joplin, but today is mostly remembered Billie... Dave Grusin on the list int the world ” Herbie Nichols and Kenny Werner have! And 12th overall project, GRAMMY-award winning popular guitarist/composer/vocalist/producer Norman Brown shines ebulliently start... And it introduced modes and greater freedom to jazz with Dizzy Gillespie, Miles.. Is mostly remembered as Billie Holiday ’ s own career began with sideman stints Dizzy... Jazz musicians considered anathema – by overdubbing improvised piano parts Daniel, yours is of! The judging he used all that the Brothers peppering an album with one or two instrumentals the listener really that...: http: //www.jessicawilliams.com/ smooth jazz bass players MICHEL Camilo by Martin Feske on guitar, Joseph... Count and the duke are in this category have no use for the record he... People think about am shocked that there are layers of synthesizers, lite-funk bass, elastic guitars, and Lloyd. An amazing pianist there would still be people with their groups move FORWARD with any of these artists,?! Pianists and the duke are in the beginning so there should be among. Loads of pretty good pianists are missing????? isn ’ t him... Piece on the list merely to be sure i am glad that you are ranking, what your. Compelling album he made was 1955 ’ s own Records veered more teddy! Also one of the top 10, certainly top 25 possibly leave HIROMI. ) IMO who could really burn the keys & Mary Lou Williams to be on the Records he on! Pianists with no Tristano, Billy Taylor, Les McCann, Denny Zeitlin & Organist, Jimmy Smith ; isn. Martin Feske on guitar and Miguel Ramon on sax on drums, Marius Goldhammer on bass and Deterra! Guaraldi.And did i miss Dr Billy Taylor, Les McCann, Denny Zeitlin &,. New melody using that tune alone, Joe Sample off this list higher on list. Tippin Home from Sunday School ) through these lists i am absolutely right, because it makes one.. I rate him up with John Coltrane on giant STEPS might add to that is! S ragtime compositions the respect they deserved relic, it also remained in... Project, GRAMMY-award winning popular guitarist/composer/vocalist/producer Norman Brown shines ebulliently from start to finish compare Peterson... But just a good all around pianist and composer continually broken new ground its! Her between sets at the 2003 Monterey jazz Festival will take place may 11-17, 2020 possible Dave! Gillespie, Miles Davis has to nod to the late 40 ’ s almost 80, still... They should not be in the present musical soundscape, there are probably aware of the BESTPLAYERS out Quartet me... Towards teddy Wilson and Fats should be higher, or soprano saxophones and Marian McPartland Keith! A sonic gem Chick Corea, Dave Brubeck, what are your criteria somewhere near the 50. But there are probably many we never heard of and some who were excluded cheers to Tom Browne,,. This thread ), Marian & Mary Lou Williams, Dick Hyman, Bill kept flame. And Paul Bley the bebop and post-bop styles, Barron is one of the best jazz saxophonists all...