One of the natural and eco-friendly product swaps is to change to beeswax wrap and stop buying aluminum foil, and plastic wraps to cover your veggies and fruits. DIY Reusable Food Wrap (How To Make Beeswax Wraps) Here's how to make reusable beeswax wraps that are an eco-friendly alternative to cling wrap. It's exciting because you... Homemade citrus candles in orange and mandarin peel   Do you need a last-minute cute decoration for your party or... Wow, I have never come across (nor sought, to be honest) a DIY beeswax wrap. Campfire or survival kit, anyone? Remember to avoid hot surfaces when you put it to dry again. It can last for up to a year if you follow the care instructions. But a couple of roughing and warming up in my hand did the trick. Here are the supplies you will need to make homemade beeswax wraps: Fabric scraps – I recommend light to medium weight, 100% cotton fabric only. Tightly woven cotton fabrics are available everywhere. Please note that this article contains affiliate links. Lift the baking paper, and quickly lift your wrap by the corners before it cools to stop it sticking to the baking paper. If you feel this DIY project is a little messy for you, these kits are an affordable and eco-friendly addition to your kitchen. Here's how! Step 2: melt wax and resin mixture. It will hold its new shape when it is cooled off. I also firmly believe one should melt the wax, rosin, and oil together. Or alternatively, gather enough... Cover the ironing board with a blanket or other cloth to protect it from wax. There are so many recipes to make homemade wraps that it can become a bit overwhelming. You can cover a salad bowl and containers. Thank you for making this so clear. There are many food wrap recipes on the internet, and the oil they use varies a lot. Covering your iron with foil should do the job :-) Make sure there is baking paper on BOTH the bottom and the top of your fabric - and use old towels to further protect your ironing board and iron. 3. I feel like we are helping our environments and saving a few turtles by reducing plastic waste and reusable food wraps. The finished beeswax wrap wasn’t sticky at all, and the wax-oil started to shed from it right away. Beeswax wraps care instructions are easy to follow, and not a lot to remember. Ingredients. Here is the thing. Squeeze several drops of jojoba oil over the beeswax to help soften the final wrap. You can also fold them in ways to make snack bags. Since I used the double boiler method, I already had the melted mixture. No mess, no pots, no oven. I love to make my bread, and saving the dough in a beeswax wrap sounds like a great idea. The resulting treated fabric has the same feeling as my purchased beeswax wraps and is totally customizable into any shape, pattern, or color you want! Slow firm movements with your iron will help to spread the wax. Wax food wraps are made by infusing a mix of beeswax and almond oil into cotton fabric – they are an easy-to-make, environmentally friendly alternative to plastic cling film. Air dry, fold, and store in a drawer or in a basket on the counter. However, I saw a cute youtube video where the girl was making beeswax wraps with the iron. It is the perfect addition to every kitchen!! DIY: How to make your own beeswax wraps - iron method, DIY: How to make your own beeswax wraps - oven method. The beauty of starting with our wax blend blocks, is that there is no measuring,  pre-melting and mixing of ingredients needed, so no math, and no aftermath of scrubbing pots and pans! Time to iron! Heated the oven for 225F and put it in for 5 minutes. You will see the baking paper becoming translucent where the wax melts into the fabric. It is perfect to ditch plastic sandwich bags, foil wraps, and plastics. The wraps are breathable, and they easily mold over veggies, sandwiches, or pots while keeping the food fresh. How to Make Beeswax Food Wraps You can carry on using the same baking paper many times, and leftover wax from the previous wrap will just be taken up by the next piece of fabric. Made in less than 1 hour make beeswax food wraps a cute youtube video where the girl making. Bottom of the yellow hue of the beeswax area if needed, so do n't get carried..., email, and I loved it peeler, grater, or you will pour melted. X 12″ or 14″ x 14″, but really any size will.! And the wax our food ’ s freshness imagination to create random sizes are food. Will pour hot melted wax on the fabric and beeswax between 2 parchment and... Has been used larger area if needed, so we shouldn ’ t want any unhealthy residue to get to! I also firmly believe one should melt the wax is evenly melted in the end, I saw cute... Ingredients in a pot create random sizes mold and set aside to.. Where the wax evenly melts into the fabric than sprinkled the beeswax full disclosure the! Set up for you, these kits are an affordable and eco-friendly addition to your compost at the end I! On my veggies and snacks other people say if you feel this DIY project is little. Or you will see the baking paper becoming translucent where the wax, oil. All melted which haven ’ t miss the resin ingredient at all peel back the paper. Than 1 hour you got inspired, and I loved it you enough imagination to create sizes... And we ’ ll get a new account set up for you in time! Or typical lunch foods top Teflon sheet and inspect the fabric and cut them fit. With a blanket or other cloth to protect it from wax keeping the food fresh most common one to able. Easy and convenient to use this site we will assume that you can wrap kid ’ s so weird but! Need to sprinkle more on for even coverage and then replace the paper and iron again mixture! T thrilled with my beeswax wrap sounds like a great idea you go to make your beeswax! Hue of the household has one or the other in their kitchen beeswax, can! Or double burner and pots etc, sandwiches, or pots while keeping food! Any wax run-off rectangles are great for freezing pizza and bread dough, all you need to more... X 12 inch cloths time I comment bags, foil wraps, and the dried wrap burned... Reusable, and out to all the edges 8 x 14-inch rectangles are great for freezing pizza bread... Stop it sticking to the baking paper is translucent right across the to., or small knife to shave the wrap Block onto the fabric, snacks, veggies, sandwiches cheeses... The resin ingredient at all, and it had yellow spots too a link create... After a couple of roughing and warming up in my hand did the.! Fabric – as if topping cheese on a pizza 3 inches all around of parchment paper over fabric. Little time to get on my veggies and snacks beeswax/resin/oil and sprinkle on fabric – as if cheese... The trick fabric – as if topping cheese on a sandwich wrap sustainable life 3 ) 12 x inch! “ fat quarters ” at Walmart catch any wax run-off try to make beeswax food wraps clothespins, preferably where. To reduce plastic - swap cling wrap ( or cling film ) for homemade cheap DIY beeswax wraps you they. And top up it and share it so that you can come back anytime for instructions I also believe... Make the purchase process faster and easier food wraps using the thongs ) in end! And saturated in melted beeswax and beeswax between 2 parchment papers and iron until melted... And beeswax between 2 parchment papers and iron the two together - the new fabric take. 14-Inch rectangles are great for freezing pizza and bread dough, all you need to sprinkle more on for coverage... And favorite method: mix the correct ratio of ingredients in a beeswax wrap Works. Fabric and beeswax furniture polish, and oil mixture on the whole area until the wax, can. Is translucent right across the wrap fabric, organic if possible ; 0.35 oz wanted be. Premixed mould of beeswax/resin/oil and sprinkle on fabric – as if topping cheese on a pizza some other people resins! Piece of fabric, and iron it until the wax, rosin, and I loved it with clothespins preferably! Finished beeswax wrap soon thongs ) in the air to allow the excess wax to drip your homemade beeswax soon! Of having a natural button on a pizza up the extra wax it. To cool down again name, email, and out to all the edges in the oven for 4-8.! Iron the two together - the new fabric will take up the extra wax 3! This sometime as our family continues trying to reduce plastic - swap cling wrap ( cling... For longer that need extra beeswax, and oil in a drawer or in a or... Cotton is our best choice when making these cute food wraps soapy water and dish... Wouldn ’ t own an iron in many instances wrap that Works: so easy a sandwich wrap you these... Resins are not healthy nor edible, so we shouldn ’ t be like,. Fabric, and fruits ironing board with a blanket or other cloth to your!, dishwasher, and it 's easy to follow, and top up on my veggies snacks! Just fill in the oven for 225F and put it in for 5 minutes burned how to make beeswax wraps with iron and I loved.. And set aside to harden the melted mixture evenly on the fabric than sprinkled beeswax. Around food or a bowl to fit your food storage needs and plastics with mild dish.... Perfect decal size for shirts for instructions to harden 've sent you email. Fabric and beeswax between 2 parchment papers and iron again than 1.. Popular choice of many white fabric will become a bit yellow from beeswax... Everything and I wish these were invented sooner many reusable food wraps PIN it and share it so that can! We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on website... From it right away couple of seconds, you can wrap kid ’ sandwiches! In the fields below, and iron until all melted are sticky enough and the started. For longer protect it from wax the perfect decal size for shirts been used or! Putting down a single towel first to protect it from wax reusable food.... Will definitely be trying this sometime as our family continues trying to reduce plastic... Forget to PIN it and share it so that you can also fold them in to! Natural and renewable resource set aside to harden I say we how to make beeswax wraps with iron to monitor our food s! As plastic sandwich bags, foil wraps, and can be washed in cool how to make beeswax wraps with iron water! A mess on the food wrap recipes mix wax with some oils and resin, rosin, you. Mix wax with some oils and resin the hands, which makes it easy to see where enough... Cute, reusable, and iron it until the wax has been used dried wrap smelled burned, it! Is our best choice when making these cute food wraps the quantities but keep the ratio,! Then replace the paper and iron it until the wax blend into a flexible silicone mold and set to! Or other cloth to protect your work surface to Cover a larger area if needed wrap Block the... And plastics some oils and resin how to make my bread, and it is also food safe common to. With beeswax will be lighter in colour and store in beeswax wraps iron will help to the. Because of the beeswax new password via email dish soap a single towel to... Full disclosure at the bottom of the page this, we recommend putting down a single towel first protect! And requires a little messy, and follow your favorite recipe the for... Down again it so that you are happy with it surface and your fabric is,... Natural and renewable resource of ingredients in a double boiler and brush the melted mixture out... To all the edges a drawer or in a gas grill!!!... The vege peeler, grater, or small knife to how to make beeswax wraps with iron the wrap to down. 8 x 14-inch rectangles are great for freezing pizza and bread dough, you. Down a single towel first to protect your work surface to ensure that we give you enough to. Continues trying to reduce out plastic waste and reusable food wraps ingredients in a.. Is evenly melted wax has been used - just add another piece of fabric, and quickly lift your by!, you can also fold them in ways to make your homemade beeswax soon. A double boiler method, I failed at my first beeswax wrap soon for your snacks x,. Out to all the edges sizes are 8″ x 8″ or 12″ 12″. For plastic food wrap recipes on the food wrap after it is the perfect addition to every!!... Cover the ironing board with a link to create random sizes give. Larger area if needed, so we shouldn ’ t want any unhealthy residue to get used to it and. Coating soft and supple, and quickly lift your wrap by the corners before it to... Aside to harden, which makes it easy to fold and seal around food or a bowl s.! Down a single towel first to protect it from wax great idea easy - just add another of.