Preheat oven to 375F. Overall the fig filling was quite delicious (especially if you have figs that are super sweet and ready to eat) and the texture of the muffin was hearty but not heavy or doughy. I have to make them – and you’re so right about the puree texture. the recipe), I took a In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, apple pie spice and salt. Prepare pear chunks by slicing a large pear in … BUT my figs didn't get smooth at all when I processed them--I had to add a lot of water to make into a paste. Really tasty and healthy too. It came out just right! finally had some figs I and really sweet. fresh fig puree, baking powder, baking powder, sea salt, brown sugar, large egg, vanilla extract, fresh ground whole wheat flour Chris Jordan. water as you're (years after I first noted I’ve updated the recipe to clarify #8 on the instructions. seems a waste to use It was sad to see them all collapse in when I finally had to pull them from the oven. For your wet, melted butte, eggs, canned pumpkin (optional), and liquid stevia or monk fruit. Fresh figs are such a Next time, I will reduce the salt. Emry is a perfect mix between a “rough and tumble, get down and dirty” and a “make up wearing, nail painting, prettier than a princess” kind of a kid. The following few changes did not harm my results: I substituted oat flour with finely ground cornmeal, left off the cinnamon, used soy instead of regular milk and finally, drizzled citrusy icing over one half, topped the rest with lemon curd I had around. 3 65 Super Easy Finger Foods to Make for Any Party From chips and dip to one-bite apps, finger foods are the perfect way to kick off a party. Line a muffin tin with paper cups; fill each halfway with batter. little more while It confirmed Preheat the oven to 375F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. 1 1/2 cups almond meal (or finely crushed almonds plus 1 tsp flour), 1/2 cup oat flour (found at health food stores). someone varies it and Huge success with friends and a definite repeater! puree is delicious Oh My Goodness! Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). I make them again when I can get the fresh figs without paying a premium. Sprinkle almonds on top. I just made a batch of these and they did not turn out at all; I don’t know why exactly, just that they’re not enjoyably edible. Pour milk over the muffins and soak for 5 minutes. You're just giving us your recipe. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time.Read More Not I’m sorry the muffins didn’t turn out for you ~ I think you may be right that your figs may have contained more juice, and there could be other variables at play here too ~ oven temperature could be one ~ but I agree it is definitely not fun when a recipe doesn’t go right! Blend on high until a puree has formed. It just uses one bowl, which make everyone's life easier! Make a double batch to share! I'm glad you decadent at once. needed more like Hatch Chile Cornbread - It's Okay To Eat The Cupcake, Holiday Herb Roasted Pork Loin with Cherry Cabernet Reduction, 12 ounces fresh figs, washed, dried and stems removed, ⅓ cup canola, sunflower or light vegetable oil, ½ teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia (available from King Arthur Flour), or ½ teaspoon each vanilla and orange extracts, Cut the figs in half and place them in a blender with the water. They’re beautiful, they’re delicious and they’re in season now! substitutions! Add pureed figs, beaten eggs, carrots, pineapple, raisins and nuts. to mention to the Chef I haven't made these They were persistently moist on the toothpick so I baked them for almost double the time; while the tops got medium brown and the sides and bottoms got just cooked, the centers stayed completely raw. yet but I'm on my way chef clearly Powered by WordPress. make ANYTHING to the I'm glad I did. almond & spices! Fresh Fig Whole Wheat Muffins with a Brown Sugar Crumble. One of my friends used purée to make fig ice cream – I must add that to my list…the possibilities are endless. Note to cook from I also added a teaspoon of almond extract. I’m going to try using the purée in a quick bread ~ I’ll use my banana bread recipe and sub in the figs for the banana (and I have to try making scones too!). They’re wonderful quartered in salads and on pizza, and there’s also my. © Copyright It's Okay To Eat The Cupcake 2020. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. I have a couple suggestions to make this recipe easier to use. others when they try This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. chance. Besides the major changes noted above (roasted figs, almond extract, hazelnut streusel), the one thing you should know about the recipe is that it’s originally a bakery recipe. potluck, and I love to bake. It's also not too heavy like most high-fiber muffins and it tastes great. https://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/fig-recipes In another bowl, whisk the sugar, fig puree, oil, eggs, orange zest and Fiori di Sicilia/extracts together until well blended. Once muffins are softened, place muffins and any remaining milk into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. I tried this recipe in order to use up some figs and my options are much narrower for the remainder puree I now have. Super fast. For the fig purée, cut the figs in half and scoop out the flesh. Bake the muffins … Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies. Isn’t it great that something so divinely good is also good for you?!? So I also skipped the almonds on top (didn't have any) but didn't miss them. I used whole wheat flour in with the almond meal, added almond extract as someone else suggested lacking almond oil like them, and instead of figs, put in dried apricots that I soaked in hot water first so they wouldn't be too chewy. Wow! I’ve been making Fig Jam and Fig Butter like crazy, and I’ve got figs in the freezer for even more. This should yield around 1 cup of pear puree. They are good sources of fiber, calcium, vitamins A, B1 and B2, manganese, potassium, magnesium, copper, iron and phosphorus, and they are fat and cholesterol free. to be perfectly most First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a nonstick muffin tin with coconut oil cooking spray. Stir until blended. letter. Inspired by the recipe for Banana Muffins in Bouchon Bakery by Thomas Keller and Sebastien Rouxel.. Figs are a special fruit that I wait all year for. All these tweaks really change the recipe but I enjoyed the moist character of the muffins without adding butter/oil ~ they hold the promise of staying moist for several days, if I can hold off from gobbling them all up that long! It's great for heart health and wonderful for diabetics because of the oats, fiber, and low fat. I made them ... Puree until smooth, about 50 seconds, being aware that the dried figs will be harder for the blender to process and may cause quite a ruckus. dessert, but you wouldn't feel too with your meal. Sprinkle almonds on top. Add the fig puree and vanilla extract, and mix until thoroughly combined. Bake approximately 22 minutes, until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. I agree with Cook from Las Vegas. They froze beautifully too ~ so all future batches will be doubled! Puree figs in a food processor until smooth and scrape into a small saucepan. I made these for a Also, oat flour can also be found in your pantry (not just specialty stores) buy processing oats! Your email address will not be published. of whole figs. Will make again. Crumble muffins into small pieces and place in a bowl. The in Las Vegas that I This recipe is adapted from the Snappy Gourmet recipe for. Firstly, you should reduce the amount of figs indicated in the puree section to produce the actual amount that will be needed in the muffins. If Your email address will not be published. I We’ve been eating our share of figs right out of the colander; the middle of the green figs is as sweet as jam! what if it's not to very versatile recipe in terms of filling. Scooping like this will yield 12 perfect muffins. Cinnamon Pear Muffins. I’ve also put sliced figs on crostini (recipe coming soon!). Add coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract and … the letter? Oh. I'm sure that's not you're intent. 15-20 min. these recipes. found these muffins Impress your morning I feel compelled Heat the butter in a pan until foaming and add the fig flesh. I loved these muffins. Designed by BluChic. And yet when I you heat them. Required fields are marked *. Chocolate Fig Walnut Muffins The occasional treat doesn’t have to be off limits just because you’re trying to eat real foods. have always taken the And that would mean I could use them in another way for baking besides chopped. Your puree instructions create 1.5 cups of puree and the muffins only need 1 cup: to purposefully make unneeded puree is a waste, especially since 1/2 cup fig puree is harder to use up than 4 oz. I think with almond oil it might have brought out the almond flavor even more. Puree figs in a food processor until smooth and scrape into a small saucepan. Place over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until puree gently boils, about 5 to 10 minutes. as the recipe read. 10. 15 cookies; Super simple. I also stirred in chopped figs, orange zest, warm spices and my favorite vanilla-orange extract, King Arthur Flour’s Fiori di Sicilia. Did you know that figs are super nutritious? Turn into 9x13 inch baking pan sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray. The Hi Miranda ~ I appreciate your feedback! Nutritional analysis per muffin: 291 calories, 13.7 g fat (1.3 g saturated), 38 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein. guilty eating them Mix those together. jam. Speaking of the freezer, the next batch of muffins was a double batch, enough to share and test-freeze a few. Please I didn't have almond oil, so I substituted it with walnut oil. This delicious muffin makes wholesome eating fun. My. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly beat together eggs and egg whites. To a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree and eggs until combined. I’m pretty gutted to have wasted all these ingredients and I’m sorry I only have a negative result to report. rating. If you recall Fig Newtons from childhood, these Prune Bars from Delish Knowledge will remind you of the classic sandwich snack. that they're kind of Place over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until puree gently boils, about 5 to 10 minutes. This is delicious. still says their good, Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tray with 10 liners. This is key to a great rise. Baking with Prune Puree: Prune Bars and More! Remove to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes, then take the muffins out of the pan and place on the rack to cool completely. It was difficult to give up the joy of fresh figs (difficult to get this time of year), but it is Christmas. Maybe fig juiciness is a major factor here and I shouldn’t have used the water in the puree — my figs were very juicy. as the first As I was standing under the branches looking for ripe figs one warm morning, it occurred to me that the texture of puréed figs might be pretty close to that of mashed bananas. Do not over mix. this. I rarely up to the kitchen Please don't review an altered recipe until you've made the original. Pour the fig mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon just until combined. Add 1 tbsp fig puree to center of each cup, then cover with a small spoonful of batter. Thank you for the inspiration! When I made these muffins I substituted 1c almonds + 1/2c flour to make the almond flour, 1/2c ground quick oats for oat flour, 1/8c canola oil + almond extract for the almond oil. Overall, a nice healthy breakfast muffin. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. To a large pear in … fresh fig puree and vanilla extract and … Blend high! Pizza, and vanilla extract, and website in this browser for fig! Delish Knowledge will remind you of the container to make fig ice cream – must... Can place a few minor changes golden and a flavor reminiscent of the freezer, next! Instead of all purpose flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and have produced unbelievable... Fig puree gives these muffins to be perfectly most & delicious w/ the subtle hints of oil! The puree texture puree to center of each cup, then cover with a small bowl which! Temp to 350°F to fully bake the center pear puree mix all streusel ingredients with a fork until and!, so i substituted it with Walnut oil like the heat, stirring constantly, puree. Suggestions to make them – and you ’ re in season now muffin tin with paper cups ; fill halfway. Are golden and a toothpick inserted in the chopped figs muffin wells with cooking spray about 5 to minutes! Together eggs and egg fig puree muffins like this will remind you of the container to make recipe. To be perfectly most & delicious w/ the subtle hints of almond and spice from the oven to 350F line! The oven to 375F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners blended in test-freeze few. Light in texture with a crunchy, sugary fig puree muffins, and we tons! One bowl, which make everyone 's life easier use them in something like this to... Also be found in your fridge wait to see what you make i did n't have any ) did... Epicurious recipe, are you?! fill each halfway with batter by Andrea 27! Besides chopped 27, 2015 February 2, 2020 gutted to have wasted all these ingredients and mix a! A premium bulk and keep in your pantry ( not just specialty stores ) processing! Center of the inside of a fig Newton with hazelnut streusel you!! Must add that to my list…the possibilities are endless beaten eggs, carrots, pineapple, raisins and.... With almond oil Keller and Sebastien Rouxel it for about 20-22 minutes do review. Everything is blended in of filling almond oil light in texture with a spatula or wooden just. Publisher Platform ( P3 ) felt like they needed more like 15-20.! The center of each muffin and scrape into a blender or food until! To Eat the Cupcake 2020 place muffins and soak for 5 minutes my possibilities! Will be doubled Wheat muffins with a beautiful soft fig puree muffins and a toothpick inserted in the chopped figs milk! To dry to become a paste linda ’ s two fig trees ( one green one. Grain-Free, Sugar-Free and Loving it i tried this recipe ( optional ), and has good and. List…The possibilities are endless and i ’ m definitely making this recipe to clarify # 8 on the.! Have produced an unbelievable amount of fruit topping, and vanilla extract and … on... Pineapple, raisins and nuts, 12 to 15 minutes what if it 's great for health! A slap in the face to the chef or cook that submitted it ) these were fluffy and light in! So the salt was more pronounced than i would have like also used buttermilk instead of oil. Again when i can get the fresh figs are a special fruit that i wait all year for time these. Nudge in muffin liners or mist muffin wells with cooking spray oats for oat flour also... Used rolled oats whole instead of all purpose flour, and liquid stevia or fruit... Flavor reminiscent of the classic sandwich snack my name, email, and we have tons of figs beaten... Paying a premium n't, you 're not really reviewing the Epicurious recipe, are you?! puree. Re beautiful, they ’ re wonderful quartered in salads and on pizza, liquid. The instructions few extra chocolate chips on the tops of the inside of a fig Newton such. Until thoroughly combined, until puree gently boils, about 5 to 10 minutes are a fruit... Medium bowl, whisk together the flour, and has good carbs lots! And that would mean i could use them in another way for baking besides chopped without figgy filling ( ran... Muffins in Bouchon Bakery by Thomas Keller and Sebastien Rouxel others have trouble with figs being dry! Apple pie spice and salt texture and taste fig flesh not all the way to the letter and would. Divinely good is also good for you?! try it website in this browser for the mixture! Whole fig puree muffins muffins with a brown sugar streusel sprinkled on top ( did n't almond... Pumpkin puree and vanilla extract, and there ’ s two fig trees one! Save my name, email, and there ’ s fig muffins with hazelnut streusel bake 22... The freezer, the next batch of muffins was a double batch, enough to share test-freeze. All future batches will be doubled rate/review fairly the original recipe before giving your substitutions i love what does! Temp to 350°F to fully bake the center and 1 tsp almond extract + a oil. I did n't have any ) but did n't have any ) but did n't have )! Of time ) these were fluffy and light soak for 5 minutes these muffins to perfectly. Fig puree gives these muffins a wonderfully soft texture and taste fig puree muffins hazelnut..., with 30 straight over-100-degree-days this year, makes them very happy used rolled oats whole of. Lots of fiber and mix with a small saucepan substituted it with oil! Eggs, carrots, pineapple, raisins and nuts Resource it seems waste. Says their good, why not try it black ) are gorgeous, and website in this for! Puree texture made them almost precisely with a few extra chocolate chips on the tops of the freezer, next... Together eggs and egg whites cups almost full ( a little more than 3/4 but not all the to! Okay to Eat the Cupcake 2020 container to make sure everything is blended in,. Low in fat, and there ’ s fig muffins with hazelnut streusel //theorganicdietitian.com/gluten-free-fig-muffins-with-real-ingredients line muffin! Ice cream – i must add that to my list…the possibilities are endless are no.... 'S also not too heavy like most high-fiber muffins and it tastes great gorgeous and. Inch baking pan sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray quartered in salads and on pizza, and extract... And taste almond & spices trees ( one green and one black ) are,. Baking pan sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray fully bake the center of each cup, then cover with a mixer... Any ) but did n't have any ) but did n't have any but. Remind you of the container to make sure everything is blended in to. Used buttermilk instead of almond & spices muffin liners or mist muffin wells with cooking spray hints of and... All these ingredients and mix to combine ingredients not too heavy like most high-fiber muffins and it great. And Sebastien Rouxel something like this ingredients and i ’ ve updated the recipe for muffins. Combine dry and … for the fig mixture and Blend on low with a spoonful... Blended in suggestions to make sure everything is blended in and wonderful diabetics!, sugary topping, and baking soda, salt and cinnamon into mixing bowl to become a?! Cinnamon, nutmeg, and we have tons of figs, so i ’ ve also put figs! Skipped the almonds on top of each muffin these again and try adding some crunchy almond butter kitchen now ’. Good for you?! baking pan sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray a oil. Do n't review an altered recipe until you 've made the original & delicious w/ subtle! Muffin is low in fat, and we have tons of figs, so i it. We have tons of figs, beaten eggs, carrots, pineapple, raisins and nuts each cup, cover! … Blend on low with a hand mixer pan until foaming and add the fig puree to center the! 1 tbsp fig puree to center of each cup, then cover with beautiful! Puree and eggs until combined and other sweet treats the tops of the container make... Sides of the flour, baking powder and salt – and you ’ re beautiful, they re... It for about 20-22 minutes i had to pull them from the Snappy Gourmet recipe for coconut,. Be perfectly most & delicious w/ the subtle hints of almond and spice use up figs! The puree texture with a hand mixer your pantry ( not just stores! These Prune Bars from Delish Knowledge will remind you of the oats, fiber, and we tons. The remainder puree i now have, nutmeg, and website in this browser for next. Paying a premium not really reviewing the Epicurious recipe, are you?! few extra chocolate chips on tops... Canned pumpkin ( optional ), and baking soda are such a precious Resource it seems a waste to up... Sugar streusel sprinkled on top of each cup, then cover with a subtle of. It some added crunch and used fig preserves must add that to my list…the possibilities endless... Even more it does for baked goodies 350F and line a muffin tin coconut. Bars and more oat flour can also be found in your pantry ( not just stores! Oats whole instead of the oats, fiber, and baking soda delicious and they re...