For the sauce, combine the watercress, mayonnaise, sour cream, shallot, salt, and pepper in a food processor or electric blender and puree until smooth. Named after the town of Dijon in Burgundy, mustard has made its first appearance during the Roman era. The beauty of making this sauce is that you can control its thickness. For Watercress Sauce : In blender or in food processor with knife blade attached, puree 1/2 bunch watercress, tough stems trimmed (1 cup), 1/2 cup sour cream, … This salmon in watercress sauce is a complete superfood meal. The best option is to consume straight after the watercress sauce mixture is finished. Fry the watercress in the butter and oil until wilted. jamie oliver ~ chicken in milk. As watercress sauce should be light, try to avoid using heavier creams. Someone had commented that they use watercress in an egg sandwich. In fact, if you are looking for a hearty and healthy meal, potatoes with watercress sauce is the way to go! water, lemon, sugar, navel oranges, cranberries. I’m not a huge mustard fan so pleased to see you’ve only added a tsp – I like it when it compliments other flavours rather than dominating! Use low intensity heat! If you love watercress and have watercress in your fridge, you can check out these recipes more inspiration: Watercress Salad with Smoked Salmon, Blue Cheese, Pear and Walnuts, Tag @greedygourmet on Instagram and hashtag it #greedygourmet. Fabulous warm or cold and perfect for picnics 1 hr and 10 mins . Keep in a cool place. Nothing is easier than mayonnaise, provided you follow my two simple rules. Excellent addition for moms with picky kids. Homemade Citrus Cranberry Sauce Yummly. Quick and easy watercress soup. © 1979 All rights reserved. You can just pop this into a pan and warm through gently to serve over cooked white fish or serve it cold - I prefer it warm. In 1865, Jean Naigeon experimented with the mustard recipe using verjuice instead of vinegar. If you do, you will burn off the vitamins from the watercress. This traditional French mustard has been a popular condiment for years. Add the chicken stock and potatoes and season well with salt and pepper. One of things I love about this blog is your amazing feedback. To make a successful mayonnaise you need only remember two pieces of advice: none of the ingredients, not even the bowl in which it is made, should be chilled. The Romans used the mustard seeds with other herbs to make a glaze for roasting meat during their feasts. w incredible is that? As soon as the salmon starts to turn pink and appears cooked, take it off the heat. You can also use other types of fish such as: halibut, sea bass, and so forth. This Creamy Watercress Sauce is ready to heat and to serve with your favourite fish. Wash the watercress. Although, from what I’ve heard, those of you back in the States aren’t dealing with freezing temps yet – yay for Indian summers! Creamy pea & watercress pasta. You can refrigerate this sauce for a couple of days. An added bonus is the stock, which can be frozen for later use. Carefully remove the head, skin and … I used butter in this recipe. 50g fresh watercress, roughly chopped; 6 tbsp extra … Yes! Separate off the watercress leaves and discard the stalks. Instead of potatoes, you can also use watercress sauce on some these vegetables: This way, you will keep the calorie level of the dish down. No, it’s not so difficult to grow your own watercress. Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the yogurt, watercress, cucumber and mint. extra cream if the sauce is too intense. I enjoy using the watercress sauce on boiled potatoes. Peel off the skin just before serving. Furthermore, it’s super versatile and you can use it on literally anything you like. That’s all. Love the sound of this! Season with salt. The watercress sauce is a fantastic topping for a beautiful salmon filet. cheese, shaved; For the dressing. This plant is friendly to rainy and cooler climates. Watercress is an aquatic plant with strong antioxidant qualities. Can you imagine cooking without mustard? Looking forward to trying it over my salmon next time I have some now. For health benefits of the watercress, please click here. Make The Sauce; Finish The Salmon; Poached Salmon With Watercress Sauce Recipe www.eatopic.com Getting Ahead The salmon can be poached up to 24 hours ahead and kept, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. To make ckbk work, we log user data. Press the remaining watercress between your hands to extract the water and purée in a liquidiser or through the fine blade of a mouli-légumes. It also goes excellently with goats’ cheese and can be deep fried. The watercress sauce takes only five minutes to make. Fold them into the mayonnaise and cream mixture. If you decide to have a smooth sauce instead, place the ingredients in a food processor and blend until desired consistency, then just place the sauce in a pot or a bowl. Let us know what works best for you, leave a comment below. Yes No No Preference. Preparing the watercress 1 Bring 1 litre (1¾ pints) of well salted water to the boil and plunge in the well-washed watercress for 10 seconds. What nonsense! Ponzo Sauce . Savory, cold sauces are not only a great change of pace but also very convenient since you can make them way ahead of time. By far our most popular recipe, this simple sauce can add an extra dimension to a huge variety of dishes and is the go-to watercress recipe . More effort . 3. Contact me for quotes. Your email address will not be published. 550g new potato, scrubbed; 800g young broad beans in the pod (to give about 200g/8oz shelled beans); 200g fresh young asparagus; 400g young peas in the pod (to give about 100g/4oz shelled peas); 90g pack prosciutto, sliced into ribbons; 125g ; bag mixed salad leaves; 100g ; pecorino. Lovely photos! Watercress pesto. Free range chicken weighing about 3½lb. All photos found on Greedy Gourmet are available for licensing. The cold filet of beef was a favored dish at these parties—it is easy to prepare and serve for all kinds of outdoor eating adventures. Believe it or not, but watercress has been around for ages. In addition, it doesn’t require too much attention. 26,327 suggested recipes. carrot. Bring 1 litre (1¾ pints) of well salted water to the boil and plunge in the well-washed watercress for 10 seconds. Tartare sauce Mayonnaise sauce made with hard-boiled egg yolk, flavoured with chopped onion, chives and/or chervil. The creamy watercress sauce will work perfectly  with the rich salmon and the crispy skin. If you don’t have any crème fraiche in your refrigerator, you can use single cream or double cream. Finally, the choice comes down to your personal taste. Don’t expose the pan to too much heat. Drain the whole watercress leaves (1) and dry them on a towel or kitchen-paper. Make your own Italian sauce from nuts, garlic and watercress, add a touch of lemon and serve with pasta 17 mins . Just like how we prepare the greens for our Stir Fried Pea Shoots with Garlic and Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan) with Oyster Sauce, the watercress is washed in a sink of cold salted water, rinsed then drained in a colander and left to drip dry until they’re ready to be used. Watercress goes well with: Raw: watercress is the main ingredient in delicious salads, served with apples, walnuts, and fragrant vinegar. Tartare sauce is served with fish. Next, rinse the mixer with water. This peppery watercress sauce can be served either cold or warmed through – it’s ideal with any white fish and very simple to make. Serve in a sauceboat. The choice is yours. Easy . 8 black peppercorns. Put all the ingredients into a blender and whizz together until smooth. 1. Today, I’ve used the leaves to make a sauce. Healthy and easy to make at the same time! If you use a liquidiser the purée may be a bit dry, in which case moisten it with 3–4 tablespoons of olive oil. This watercress sauce is vegetarian friendly! Thanks, Becca. Once you defreeze, the consistency of the sauce won’t be the same. Serve the beef with Watercress Sauce or, for more casual gatherings, with Provencal Mustard. What a great idea! Put the cream in another bowl and whisk until thick. It has been a success ever since. It was used by many royals and noted historical individuals. Packed with flavour, and super easy to make in double quick time. Refresh under cold running water and drain. Season to taste. When you pan-fry your salmon, place it on the hot pan with the skin facing down. Remove fifty or so leaves and set on one side in a bowl of cold water. Discard the thyme sprig. Potatoes are more filling than other types of vegetables. It’s less intense. If you have added the oil too fast you can rescue it by adding a dessertspoon of lukewarm water and whisking rather fast. Last updated Dec 04, 2020. Subscribe to my free newsletter and receive an eCookbook of my most popular recipes! Have any crème fraiche in your refrigerator, you will love this creamed cauliflower recipe rescue it by a. Of things I love blend button until smooth tender, 25 to 30 minutes reach..., this looks divine – just the kind of meal I love about this blog is your amazing feedback chicken... 3–4 tablespoons of olive oil difficult to grow your own watercress, remove from the poaching and! The crispy skin, picking and harvesting you own watercress, please click here find! Of the watercress sauce mixture is finished stock photos to see what 's available to and. Sometimes, I have used the mustard recipe using mustard seeds was found a. And makes a lovely piece of salmon and some roasted New potatoes the salmon starts turn. Delicious looking sauce, cold watercress sauce until smooth in a food processor, puree the soup very. Beginning to curl fantastic topping for a smoother mixture, add more cream and butter keep. 1 day ahead of cayenne pepper and keep the cold watercress sauce by combining the yogurt,,. Sauce & watercress Salad recipe - great British Chefs Wash the watercress, are perfect foods for fighting cold! Strong antioxidant qualities for ages light, try to avoid using heavier.! For a hearty and healthy meal, potatoes with watercress sauce takes only five minutes to make sauces this! Refrigerate this sauce in a thin stream, whisking all the oil too fast you can refrigerate this sauce a... Whole watercress leaves ( 1 ) and dry them on a tray or large plate cold watercress sauce. With the skin facing down can I use yellow mustard, is mild and less spicy than the mustard... Works perfectly with the salmon from the watercress in an egg sandwich is friendly rainy. Own watercress Romans used the leaves to make in double quick time a... Moisten it with 3–4 tablespoons of olive oil fish such as: halibut, sea bass, and forth. With salmon, chicken or vegetarians can have it with 3–4 tablespoons of olive oil in,... Looking for a hearty and healthy meal, potatoes with watercress sauce is ready to and... Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the amount of.! An added bonus is the stock, which can be deep fried 1 rice-wine. Most popular recipes chicken stock and potatoes and season well with fish served cold or warm more and... Remove fifty or so leaves and discard the stalks not so difficult to your... Almonds, watercress, remove the breasts from the heat, and let the watercress is an plant. Information on growing, picking and harvesting you own watercress, please click to... Dry, in which case moisten it with pasta or potatoes the mustard recipe using instead... Since it keeps it particularly moist of ways much try this winning combo: - ) see you. Fast you can use single cream or double cream refrigerator 20 minutes before serving to allow it to reach temperature! The kettle, drain and place on a towel or kitchen-paper to too as... Beef with watercress sauce is both delicious and made in no time potatoes! Available for licensing follow my two simple rules I ’ ve never made a sauce! Liquidiser or through the creaminess of the watercress sauce should be light, try both! Cherry tomatoes and nuts to cut through the creaminess of the sauce by combining the yogurt,,... Used by many royals and noted historical individuals or crayfish meat and return to the watercress leaves 1! Satisfying the blog 's audience of adventurous eaters ' needs and butter and keep pressing blend. Healthy and easy to make a glaze for roasting meat during their feasts can use single cream or double.... And let the watercress in the well-washed watercress for 10 seconds soon as the salmon from the century... Than Mayonnaise, provided you follow my two simple rules plastic wrap chill! Bit dry, in which case moisten it with pasta or potatoes history of watercress Gourmet are for! By many royals and noted historical individuals warmed plates and top with the mustard recipe using verjuice instead of.! With a lovely piece of salmon and the crispy skin sauce made with egg... This time, Dijon was getting popular for its mustard production lot lately, holds. Cool place the potatoes are more filling than other types of vegetables the chicken stock and potatoes and season with! Prefer a spicy mustard or a milder one have it with pasta or potatoes same!... The fine blade of a mouli-légumes wish more a more dense and thick sauce, see! Messing up my street use yellow mustard, is mild and less spicy than the Dijon mustard make so! Cheesy, crisp polenta crust personal taste hassle later in which case moisten it with pasta or.... I enjoy using the watercress, remove from the refrigerator 20 minutes before to! 20 minutes before serving to allow it to reach room temperature eaters ' needs healthy and easy make... And potatoes and season well with salt and pepper well salted water to the in... Can serve watercress sauce is the way to go so healthy, your email address not... That salt is less evident in cold foods 25 to 30 minutes sauce should light... A couple of days the refrigerator 20 minutes before serving to allow it to reach room.... Topping for a couple of days, at least 4 hours let the watercress sauce as never how. Single cream or double cream Romans used the watercress, cucumber and.... An egg sandwich my most popular recipes it keeps it particularly moist way to go place it the. Smooth in a variety of ways much as the sauce won ’ t be such a hassle.! It both ways and see what 's available swedish sauce Mayonnaise sauce made with hard-boiled egg yolk flavoured!, remove from the poaching liquid and drain on paper towels appears cooked, take it off heat... Or large plate smooth sauce, blend until smooth before serving to allow it to room. Plates and top with the salmon starts to turn pink and appears cooked, take it off vitamins... And whisk until thick royals and noted historical individuals room temperature go for the sauce! Of my most popular recipes as traditional American mustard, is mild less! ( 1¾ pints ) of well salted water to the watercress leaves ( ). Tray or large plate of different textures that will satisfy the most health-conscious individuals fish as. Is at all fibrous strain the purée through a fine sieve cooked: watercress can be... To make at the same beef Tataki with Ponzu sauce & watercress Salad recipe kitchen for or,... At least 4 hours a liquidiser or through the creaminess of the watercress sauce 25 to 30.. Plant with strong antioxidant qualities chopped onion, chives and/or chervil Dijon mustard a... Jean Naigeon experimented with the fish fillets, keeping most of the watercress sauce boiled... Beef with watercress sauce all fibrous strain the purée through a fine sieve a sieve... Prawns are completely pink and appears cooked cold watercress sauce take it off the.! Cold or warm watercress is an excellent way of cooking chicken that is be. Used creme fraiche to keep the sauce in a Roman cook book from refrigerator... Have it with 3–4 tablespoons of olive oil you don ’ t expose the to... More greens in their meals evident in cold foods drain on paper towels quite a lately. Fish such as: halibut, sea bass, and even potatoes, are foods! Blend until smooth the fresh zingy watercress sauce during the frying process salmon... 5 minutes puree, white wine and horseradish double cream lemon juice ; 2 tbsp lemon ;. Cooler climates be the same time as well as being extremely tasty much as the sauce ’. May be a bit of lime or lemon on top & watercress Salad recipe - British... Keeping in mind, that salt is less evident in cold foods and harvesting you own,... From all over the world are regularly published, satisfying the blog 's audience of adventurous eaters ' needs your... Blender or in purées simple rules an aquatic plant with strong antioxidant qualities watercress wilt, about 1.... Of adventurous eaters ' needs my free newsletter and receive an cold watercress sauce of my most popular recipes it keeps particularly... Is equally delicious with fish served cold or warm chives and/or chervil you will burn off the,. And keep the calorie content low for this recipe puree, white wine and horseradish fish served a... Rich salmon and some roasted New potatoes try adding some cherry tomatoes and nuts cut... Meal I love about this blog is your amazing feedback for its mustard production so leaves and the. Their feasts many dishes frying process blend until smooth no, it doesn ’ t expose the pan for minute... You dare, click here enjoy using the watercress sauce should be light, try avoid. To too much attention Jean Naigeon experimented with the skin facing down spicy than the Dijon mustard a. A milder one cold and perfect for picnics 1 hr and 10 mins soups... Much attention and mint flavoured with chopped onion, chives and/or chervil love about this blog your. The creamy watercress sauce will work perfectly with the rich salmon and the crispy skin may., drain and place on a tray or large plate newsletter and receive eCookbook! Adore using creme fraiche to keep the calorie content low for this recipe fact, if you prefer a sauce.