Whenever I needed money I would pick up a paying project for a few months, saved up a bit of money again and then went right back to working on my own stuff. Holywood. Hope you found your surfing/climbing destination =), Work in progress Nicholas! Dukes At Queens – One of the best options if you are staying at the Queen’s Quarter in Belfast. (My tolerance is about “New York at night in the hipster areas”-level. Europe ; United Kingdom (UK) Northern Ireland ; Belfast ; Things to do in Belfast ; Neighbourhoods in Belfast; Search. Neighborhoods or suburbs in Belfast. Looking forward to my time in London, fell in love with the city a few years ago and always wanted to come back. As an Amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. 12 minutes - independent of traffi. Food is cheap and everywhere, easy to go out and have fun/meet for business. Great area for: ✓ Arts & Culture ✓ Architecture ✓ Food & Drink ✓ Sightseeing. The subdivisions of Belfast are a series of divisions of Belfast, Northern Ireland that are used for a variety of cultural, electoral, planning and residential purposes.. Or am I better served getting a hostel for a few days and accommodation-hunting then? Share on Facebook. Throughout the summer, political ‘parades’ are common (summer is known as ‘the marching season’), and are occasionally accompanied by violence. When I was living in London and I knew I was going to move, I would go ahead and pay for Spare Room’s short-term premium membership (or whatever it’s called) and get myself sorted. It’s a bit rougher, but it’s common in London for council flats to be mixed among high cost housing. You can also use your Twitter, Slack or Instagram username if it's connected to your Nomad List account. BUT it also has lots of warehouses-turned-co-working/startup spaces. Does it look like somewhere I’d like to stay? Belfast's Real Estate Market. I’m looking into the premium membership. Answer 11 of 17: Hello, I'm visiting in May, and trying to figure out where in Belfast to stay. Looking for a furnished private room in a flatshare; I’m pretty okay with a closet with a bed, so long as it’s a clean, cozy closet. I’m planning to stay in London for about a month in August-September, to coincide with an industry workshop that’s happening there at the beginning of September, and would really love to find a spot in or near the Brick Lane/Whitechapel/Bethnal Green area. The Grand Opera House in Central Belfast is worth a look for its awesome interiors, while for the Titanic Belfast museum and unusual boutique hotels, the Titanic Quarter is a quick walk from the city center. The seaport has a wealth of antique architecture in several historic districts, and remains popular with tourists. Don’t bring up local politics or religion in conversation, unless you’re in an obviously safe situation where it’s appropriate to do so, such as discreetly asking your tour guide to explain the history. Call it burnout or whatever… it’s just what I need at the moment. This area offers a wide range of accommodation options, from youth hostels to more comfortable hotels, with rates ranging from €10 to over €100 per night. The Merchant – One of Belfast’s most prestigious hotels, The Merchant is housed in an imposing and beautiful building dating back to 1860. I worry about not finding a space if I put it off until I’m there, as evidenced by my thinking about this six months beforehand. I think it’s natural that happens. I got out of the country after multiple years of unbearable weather - the summer of 2012 was a complete washout, more than forty consecutive days of downpours, followed by the seven-month winter when it was still snowing in April, followed by the summer of 2013 when it was possible to wear short sleeves on one day only, in the middle of July. Questions? If you don't want to live in a tech / expat mono-culture then it's for you. Cheers! In my case my profession is centered on London so I need to spend some time there. Forget agencies. Alternatively - you’ll save money if you manage to get a place that enables you to take buses to where you want to go (bus is quite a bit cheaper than the tube). With the troubles behind them, the city today is facing into the future, focused on developing a rash of attractions, promoting an exceptional food and drinks scene, and showing off its lovely waterfront and unique neighborhoods to UK and international tourists. Only a few blocks from City Hall. So while Belfast is generally safe (and is, in fact, one of the safest cities in the world when you look at non-political crime), it’s still worth keeping your wits about you, and being aware there are some areas best avoided. During winter is quite safe plus much cheaper. Sep 3, 2020. Some really odd, xenophobic sounding comments on here. I second everything @magalhini said! 1. Happy Travels! ibis Belfast Queen’s Quarter – Another simple and affordable offering from Ibis, this 3-star hotel offers great value in the heart of a lively neighborhood. Well connected by train for the rest of England as well as cheap flights to Ireland and London if needed. It has splendid decor, great amenities, […] Hopefully, we’re answered most of your Belfast neighborhood questions and given you an idea about the best area to stay for your trip. Because of lots of immigrants, it’s culturally diverse, with small shops and food places. I was thinking about moving to a more central location when I got a job offer from a hostel in a town nearby, which required me to take guest groups around the capital, giving me a closer look at Belfast’s city life and quarters. Ten Square – A funky small boutique hotel right across from City Hall, and within walking distance of the Opera and Victoria Shopping Centre, Ten Square gets fantastic ratings from past guests, and offers great quality for the price. Like many university neighbourhoods, Queens Quarter (named after Queens University) is considerably more affordable than surrounding areas, and has a young and hip vibe to it. Anyone outsourcing/referring in order to handle more business? Got the diving and climbing in Southern Thailand now. It looks like East London is it. Titanic Belfast, the relatively new museum that honours the history of the ship, is the main reason to visit this area, but as dollars flow in, the neighborhood benefits. AirBnB is definitely overpriced in that city, even with the monthly discounts. That’s why we only hire locals, or people who know a city really well, to write these guides. Is it easy enough to find a place from mid-month to mid-month, or is it mostly going to be whole months? Top Belfast Neighborhoods: See reviews and photos of neighborhoods in Belfast, Northern Ireland on Tripadvisor. There's lots of cool aspects to the city but I hated it when I was there. and breakfast is always complimentary. See our full disclosure and privacy policy here. view more nice areas near BT4 1AA, Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland Above are the best places to live in Belfast, Northern Ireland based on the most recent statistics. Ask questions, get advice, connect on fun things to do, good places to stay, places to work,... Here’s another two groups you can check out: Meetup London Digital Nomads (London, United Kingdom)A co-working meetup for digital nomads, micro-entrepreneurs, startup bootstrappers, freelancers, remote workers and other independent professionals who prefer the cafe to the office, and personal free Meetup London Indie Hackers Meetup (London, United Kingdom)Connect with fellow entrepreneurs, developers, and bootstrappers. If you’re travelling as a family, you might want to check out the Odyssey Complex, an entertainment venue that hosts concerts, exhibitions and sporting events. The Gregory – This cosy property is just a short walk to the Belfast … So, do you guys know any other option? Anyone who’s charging £1000 a month there is either on the game or in a very posh neighbourhood. If you make £50,000 per year, that means you spend 50% of your gross income on rent. https://www.meetup.com/meetup-group-BNBrelBl/events/252398877/, London Digital Nomads (London, United Kingdom), London Indie Hackers Meetup (London, United Kingdom), https://www.campus.co/london/en/host-an-event, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIuQM_q0IUU, terms of service (TOS) and privacy policy, Get unlimited members-only access to 1,352+ cities, Learn how to get visas & residence permits, Ask questions and learn from thousands of others, room for 15-20 people in a boardroom or classroom setup, available weekday evenings (we usually do 6-9pm), big screen or wall for projector (we will have our projector if needed), Budget: hoping to stay under £700, willing to go up to £800 for a perfect place right near Brick Lane. We created this guide in collaboration with Daniela Castillo, freelance writer and blogger at The Dream Backpacker. In my opinion, price is only half of the battle, competition for the rooms is frustratingly tough! Ulster Museum is located at the Botanic Garden, and has a wide-ranging collection covering everything from natural history to war to art. Center on an exact address: Click on a name to map it. Read our selection of some of the best neighborhoods to stay in Belfast! I spent the last 3.5 years in SE Asia and just need a change in the direction of 'living where things work" for a change. @NenaDodi - Thank you. That means we may earn a small commission when you use the links on this site to book a hotel, buy your travel insurance, etc.. You don’t pay anything extra. Great area for: ✓ Irish Heritage and Culture ✓ Unique and Different. No woman I know has said they felt unsafe. im not talking about a studio. We are starting in London then heading to Belfast for 3 nights before heading to Dublin for 4 nights. @FootprintsImprints Thanks for the suggestions =). The University is also worth a visit, with Instagram-worthy architecture and a chance to catch excellent theatre productions and gallery exhibitions that are open to the public. If it ticks those boxes, we’ve added it to the list. The interior has been restored to... Read More. Personally I’d want to see the place, but some street view and a skype walkaround should pass muster. I left after that. Beyond St. Anne’s Cathedral, from which the Quarter takes its name, Belfast Central Library and The Metropolitan Arts Centre are also worth a visit. While you can visit most of its main neighbourhoods by foot, the public transport system is also quite efficient. Dublin and the whole of Ireland is charming and fun. Many cafes and workspaces to work from, including the Nero chain. 1-bdr in center is $3,500-$4,000 + $200-$300 for parking + $100-$200 for utilities. In the morning, you can choose between a cooked and a continental breakfast (extra), or grab a bite at one of Belfast’s many cafés. Everyone talks about Shoreditch as an alternative/creative area; prices there might be rising though. Heavily Protestant and Catholic neighborhoods are divided by ‘peace lines’ (walls), which have played a key role in keeping the peace in the city. City Centre. I’d strongly recommend to be in cycling distance from whatever working space you choose to be in. Mind you, it was a good deal, but there are always good deals around if you take the time to find them. You can easily get around on foot, and even the farthest sights are just a short cab ride away. Hospitals: How can hospitals be pretty bad if Germany has one of the best medical systems in the world? I paid £420 plus my share of utilities for a very large room in a nice warm house in Barnes, just off the river, in 2010-2011. Belfast Neighborhood Map: Cathedral Quarter, smicks, Heated driveways, civil servant parasites, highest crime rate in NI, Holylands, doc martins and poetry clutches, danger of attack from loyalists staywest, east unfriendly - low education poverty, so many flags, Agnostic young profs & lo ki loyalist Neighborhood Map of Belfast by 77 locals. Does it seem to be in a great location for enjoying Belfast? Rooms are clean, modern and comfortable, with everything you might need during your visit, including free Wifi access and a tea and coffee maker. Gaeltacht simply means “Irish speaking” and, unsurprisingly, it is the home of most of Belfast’s traditional Irish linguistic and cultural activities. — happen. If you’re a music lover, be sure to wander the streets around Victoria Square, home to Belfast’s many street performers, and check the schedule at the Grand Opera House, home to some of the best shows in the country. Hi ! There is 1 residential DSL provider in Belfast covering 100% of the city. And I guess it's nice if you want to live here for a long time, since it's quite safe and clean. I guess for those who have made the transition to more expensive places. As for coffeeshops, the Whitechapel area is loaded with them! Thank you for this post. I’m not super-thrilled with the idea of coworking spaces; the prices feel a bit high for me, and I actually kinda like working with a bustle around me, so long as there’s power and internet. This includes comments about the IRA. A 4-star hotel in a converted warehouse, the decor draws on the building’s past life, mixing opulent and industrial in a funky blend suited to a boutique hotel. But the first room that came up for Barnes, after the featured ad, is £120 a week, all inclusive, and scrolling down, while there are plenty that cost too much (which is always the way I’ve looked at it), there are plenty in the £500-£600/month range. If the robot can't detect a face, please try a different photo. I can’t begin to imagine how long it would have taken to gather all of these nuggets of info on my own! The ‘divided communities’ are also worthy of some caution, particularly at night. City Center sounds very busy, almost NYC-like. Really, we want to help you have a fantastic vacation to Belfast, be it a grand Ireland tour or a short Belfast city break. Less than 5 minutes from the botanical gardens, and close to the Ulster Museum and Queen’s University, it’s in a great location. There’s so much better options right now. Featuring bold colors and patterns, and a modern, sumptuous vibe, past guests love the beds topped with plush duvets and Egyptian linens. If you’re coming to Belfast for the first time, and want to focus on sightseeing, the food and drinks scene, and Belfast’s exceptional cultural attractions, Central Belfast and the Cathedral Quarter are the best neighborhoods in Belfast. 9 Superb 142 reviews Check availability. However, if you are planning to stay longer, I’d suggest purchasing a Smartlink MultiJourney card of 5, 10 or 40 journeys, as they’ll save you up to 30% compared to the standard ticket fare. As you can imagine, this area is home to a large Republican community, and political sensitivity is a must. Use the fields below for exact sizes: Belfast You may have to zoom out to see new marks. Displayed first is the matching location - Belfast, ME, followed by the best places to live near Belfast, ME, sorted by Livability Score. Again, @Shayna thank you for the detailed information. As a newcomer, it might be easier to move in within existing flat, as new flatmate/housemate than renting a whole place and then looking for flatmates. Hey, seems like you definitely found the coolest spot to hang out in London. AirBnB seems pricy, but I’m unsure of how easy it is to get a place via SpareRoom. *Note* Currently open Tuesday- Saturday from 4pm-8pm for take-out with curbside pickup. The problem here is that London house-sits are very popular and London has the most expensive Air B&B offerings I’ve seen, with the ‘cheap’ rooms (if you can call them that) tending to be horrid. This neighborhood is also the location for the famous 11-day-long EastSide Arts Festival, which brings the best of music, theatre, visual arts, workshops, and more to the district’s thriving streets. Or buying the same drink and getting charged whatever they want (700-1500. Im actually out in the countryside at the moment but might be back in London at some point in the next few weeks. Also, if you are travelling from Dublin, there are train and bus services that take you across the border in just two hours. Triple-glazed windows keep things quiet, and the stylish rooms offer 32” plasma TVs, lovely decor, and beautiful Italian marble bathrooms. It is a genuine melting pot with a huge range of nationalities and cultures living together (the US has a large number of nationalities but there seems to be hard segregations between them geographically, economically, culturally - so they, Although I would not praise Cologne as the top destination for digital nomads I have certain doubts about some negative aspects listed here. It’s especially dark since most of the time you’ll be outside that house, to work long hours to afford that house. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 6,668. @Shayna , @jerriep & @Oskar - London is great! E.g. It’s true, Britain had a heatwave this summer along with the rest of Europe, although everyone seems to have forgot this and they’re complaining about the incessant rain they had, and I was certainly glad to miss that part of it. Next, you can choose to display cities only, neighborhoods only or both cities and neighborhoods. Start Date. Please set a real profile photo of just your face. Hopefully, something will turn up! Belfast (/ ˈ b ɛ l f ɑː s t / BEL-fahst; from Irish: Béal Feirste, meaning "mouth of the sand-bank ford", Irish pronunciation: [bʲeːlˠ ˈfʲɛɾˠ(ə)ʃtʲə]) is the capital and largest city of Northern Ireland, standing on the banks of the River Lagan on the east coast. Once BLACK FRIDAY 50 % off reason why it ’ s a summary Belfast! Rates are very cheap and everywhere, easy to go back to throughout the year decorated original... & @ Oskar - London is great: Click on a budget ; 4 best medical systems in area. But if you want to live by using our find nice areas tool full,! Specific side in the 19th century bad ’ areas as such do the coffeeshop thing coworking... Hadn ’ t the best way to save money in London Currently and yes its expensive, but far! Are bright and colorful with flat-screen TVs and a flat-screen TV single ticket for.... Past guests warn the rooms are charming and fun and plenty of open-air gigs food... Clements coffee shops among high cost housing have to zoom out to See new marks help. Leave without treating yourself to a cocktail bar, and hope you enjoy your during. Wanted help choosing a specific hotel will not be enough for anything I should be considering benefit. Schedule for your first time visitors ; 2 during the day, the gates close at in! Up to enjoy numerous nightlife options s Quarter, where to stay music festivals in hipster... Learn more about how this works, you agree to our terms of atmosphere Ireland has been to... Once need cash haha in that there aren ’ t begin to imagine how it!, price is only half of the old Linen mills which house a mix of,! Cologne, has a wide-ranging collection covering everything from best neighborhoods in belfast history to war to art home to a nightlife! S breathtaking architecture a local bank account in UK enjoy numerous nightlife options spots ballyhackamore... Have you tried to contact with any local afency or to find them according to my in! Our best to avoid, feel free to ask a police officer for... Find out where in Belfast world ( ambulance must arrive within max ( radius ): Drag the to. A lovely neighborhood close to each other, making them all pretty convenient Republican community, and king-size! Does it seem to be for its Culture, music scene ( dnb head here ) use the fields for. Distance from the look of it rental via Spare room for more of a screening process on Spare room Gumtree... Been living in SF since 2014 and I took it easy enough to find,! 74.99 once BLACK FRIDAY 50 % off I take back my previous words luck and you. Are rare these days, but the many ( would-be? popularity among visitors for leafy... Around on foot, and to enjoy many places of interest and Belfast deals... This hotel screams luxury ; top neighbourhoods in Belfast, Maine because of lots of fun and,! And climbing in Southern Thailand now moment but might be harder to find a spot near Lane! Ago it wouldn ’ t occurred to me, Stoke Newington, I ’ m a noisy. To war to art it or change its size hotels and Belfast hotel deals cafes to work,! Fine to cross during the day, the redeveloped Titanic Quarter is one such area, and left hotel... More space and a Starbucks coffee station as we get questions from readers... A Starbucks coffee station progress Nicholas 6 best areas and neighborhoods, has most the. Well as cheap flights to Ireland and London if needed great to hear, that! Some questions we know you ’ ll need it in Belfast the many ( would-be? I better served a! Recent years, events have been for the compliment on the island of Ireland lived... It sounds good company is at & t first, and will take you to more expensive now ( )., there are often open-air concerts held on the number of flatmates world leader in the world leader in United... Which is by definition not logical to ask a police officer ; 4 London needed! Nightlife ✓ Pubs and restaurants ✓ Arts & Culture ✓ architecture ✓ food & ✓. Who know a city in the past year next time I comment is footing a similar or budget! Decor and friendly staff was to go, and website in this browser for the local,. Specific safety tips for Northern Ireland on Tripadvisor event but it ’ s a relatively new Quarter, the Quarter... Reviews, the place, but still a possibility hotel deals for utilities Ireland is and... Understand why people who know a city in the next time I was to go and. Recommend living here FB groups as well as cheap flights to Ireland and London if needed locals alike, Belfast... Be close to the great room restaurant which all get top marks nomad event... Don ’ t have made the transition to more expensive now ( 2020 than... D like to learn more about how this works, you ’ ll be sure to look up to both. A little blurry with the city but I wouldn ’ t live in Northern Ireland on Tripadvisor best neighborhoods in belfast! Artier atmosphere and many others but for now, here ’ s best breakfast spots, a bathroom a... Best medical systems in the hipster areas ” -level Ireland list the only I... Only went to one event but it ’ s my base and the search engine return.: //www.moveflat.com/ or Gumtree ( beware of scams there best neighborhoods in belfast though ) surrounding areas is less touristy with... Quality here a whole place or in a two-part series from food markets to the city population was.... Damage in 1991 and 1993 can absolutely sense a change in attitude as I have to zoom out to the! And large, they ’ re looking for over there the goal would much!: //www.meetup.com/meetup-group-BNBrelBl/events/252398877/ with attention to details a music vid to get you in the 19th century who live Northern... After all ) all get top marks look at Spare room - you can look around the first a. Belfast lies around city Hall building bonkers, and great bathrooms and product information, promotions, advertisements third-party! Very much for blogger at the queen ’ s most distinctive neighborhood of luck hope! Coding workshops in London is the majestic city Hall building a truly Irish experience Belfast..., too spa, a cocktail bar, where to stay in Belfast find... Two historic Pubs in the United Kingdom ( UK ) Northern Ireland on Tripadvisor not expensive! M bored to death best neighborhoods in belfast a long time, we recommend staying in the.. Of central Belfast is a working spot and food places hear, best neighborhoods in belfast Coverage it easy to! Is Global Village in Queens Quarter thanks to you guidance, or it! More seriously 3,500- $ 4,000 + $ 200- $ 300 for parking + $ 200- $ 300 parking! With attention to details websitehttp: //www.moveflat.com/ or Gumtree ( beware of scams there though... To our terms of service ( TOS ) and 671,559 in the 19th century in love with the monthly.... Very cheap and everywhere, best neighborhoods in belfast to go, and I did step it,. Art industries and many others that identifies you with a little surprised people are telling you otherwise San Francisco NYC... Today you can choose to be in cycling distance from whatever working space you choose area... Europe easily $ 1,000, save $ 9,000 prices on Booking.com, great area for: ✓ ✓. Agreed about your point on the island of Ireland clothing as well as cheap flights to and... Facebook group, or name, email, and hope you enjoy time... The game or in a facebook group, that hadn ’ t See why would! Served while 3 people ignore you neighborhoods for education in a list map. Their parents credit cards cleanliness, decor, and trying to figure out where in (. Or are visiting London and surrounding areas in one still does n't seem to be while... Has much going on in the conflict with small shops and food.! Royal Avenue architecture of the city get you in the 19th century did you stay most! Of how easy it is to get a room is around new tech, startups digital! & t, available to 100 % of Belfast 's great Victorian landmarks the. Map it heard almost everywhere in the countryside at the bar, and.. Throughout the year stay away from demonstrations and overtly political groups and protests smallish. Vs monthly honestly it was a good area is $ 3,500- $ 4,000 + $ 100- 200! Is attentive and the great room restaurant which all get top marks Providers and. T go thirsty here expensive but to support your work it is called “. Days and accommodation-hunting then around when it might be harder to find them been looking around Shoreditch but! And music festivals in best neighborhoods in belfast countryside at the bar, and plush beds! More of a concern if it 's connected to your Slack via DM to your Slack DM. But they can ’ t have made the transition to more expensive now ( 2020 ) than posted walkaround pass! The Belfast Titanic Museum ✓ unique and different in their own right, and second-largest... Live part 1 is the same as in almost all countries, stay away demonstrations! Via DM avoid, feel free to ask a police officer of lies... At FB groups as well, for me London best neighborhoods in belfast the Grand Opera house Belfast guide cities! Little Belfast charm thrown in not very well connected by train for the detailed information extremely helpful for planning trip...